Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fas "Selection interview with technical questions". Anyone know what to expect?

Options
  • 28-08-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

A compTIA networking course has just popped up in my region through FAS and I have been waiting for ages for them to finally get the wheels in motion on one.
    But the selection requirements are worrying me. I know I can articulate to them how seriously I would take the course in an interview, however the technical questions part I dont know what to expect.

Does anyone have any experience with these or can give any advice? Cheers in advance. :)

(If this is the wrong forum to post this kind of question in then please move)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For the A+, it was "are you interested in computers", so I'm assuming it's this, and "what experience do you have with computers".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

the_syco wrote: »
    For the A+, it was "are you interested in computers", so I'm assuming it's this, and "what experience do you have with computers".

Seriously? Doesnt sound very technical.
    But i suppose for Fas that's not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

same for me what the syco said, also asked if i had a computer and what the specs were, i think there just trying to weed out complete no hopers, even so half the people that were there could'nt give a flyin monkeys fart, howdyever i taught the course was great i got alot out of it, good luck

So there's no actual exam-like questionnaire they get you to complete or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Go on Amazon and find a Network+ book you can look inside. Don't worry about the details but make note of the chapter titles and then go and google/youtube each one and read/view a brief introduction.

Here's one http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-Certification-Edition-N10-005/dp/0071789227/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346188376&sr=8-1&keywords=network%2B

Chapter 2 is "Network Models" so here's a you tube video on one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7b_BkFrnfo

If you can give a sentence on each topic, you'll put yourself ahead of most interviewees.

• Advertisement

djk1000 wrote: »
    Go on Amazon and find a Network+ book you can look inside. Don't worry about the details but make note of the chapter titles and then go and google/youtube each one and read/view a brief introduction.

Here's one http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-Certification-Edition-N10-005/dp/0071789227/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346188376&sr=8-1&keywords=network%2B

Chapter 2 is "Network Models" so here's a you tube video on one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7b_BkFrnfo

If you can give a sentence on each topic, you'll put yourself ahead of most interviewees.

Genius idea, cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved from work/jobs to IT certification

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

You may get a written test with 10/15 questions some multiple choice some not, i did when i went for the CCNA and MCITP: Server admin courses, they are usually pretty basic if you have a bit of knowledge of computers/networking

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

I wouldn't overthink it too much, and reading chapters of a networking book could do more harm than good, you could be overwhelmed by the content - also, if you knew that much already you wouldn't need to do the course.

Be able to talk about and demonstrate YOUR interest in computers and networks.
    But i suppose for Fas that's not surprising.

Attitude is important, and that's not a great attitude to go in with (you could always elaborate that point at interview and see if you get a place on the course then).

Advertisement