Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stanley FatMax FMC620LB 18V Lithium Ion Hammer Drill 139.99 @ argos

• 28-08-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7114360/Trail/searchtext%3EFATMAX.htm

97-7114360SPA78UC1184981X.jpg

clipboard01vu.jpg

only few here and there, but it seem like quite decent drill with two 18V 1.5Ah li-ion batteries, i couldn't find anything better (with two batteries) for under 200

not sure if it is eligible for free 3 years warranty extension as stanley website don't have ROI option

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

Thanks op, just reserved in drogheda.
    This looks like its a dewalt drill branded as Stanley, can anyone confirm??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

thanks op just reserved it in arklow and it was the last one left delighted but i dread to think what will the wife say :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

if anyone reserved one in Dublin and doesn't want it - i'd love a code

Just done a quick check and Stanley/dewalt/black and decker is the one group. Happy dayz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I wouldn't get my hopes up of getting one of these any time soon - http://www.checkargos.com/index.php?productId=711/4360

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

Is this useful for driving screws in wood? I see its a 'Hammer' Drill
    can you turn off the hammer action??
    cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Kavs wrote: »
    Is this useful for driving screws in wood? I see its a 'Hammer' Drill
    can you turn off the hammer action??
    cheers.

Yes and yes although if that's all you want it for you could get a much cheaper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

remember to register your tool at http://stanley.eu/3 to get that free three year warranty extension (as stated on box...)

but wait,
    "You can register your product in following countries:
    Ελλάδα
    France
    Italia
    Switzerland
    UK
    Registration in all other countries will be possible soon"

now, check page 9 of your manual - in order to be entitled to the additional two years warranty you must register within the below time frames - registration required within 4 weeks of purchase

so there is my post about 3 year warranty extension for ROI, hopefully they will come with some solution for us

http://www.stanleytools.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=651&p=1636

if you want to complain in that thread that might help ;)

Added to your post, fingers crossed they do something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

benmeade wrote: »
    Just done a quick check and Stanley/dewalt/black and decker is the one group. Happy dayz

Means very little. A good dewalt would be far superior for tough, continuous work. But no doubt it will be fine for general DIY. You really do get what ou pay for with powertools.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Means very little. A good dewalt would be far superior for tough, continuous work. But no doubt it will be fine for general DIY. You really do get what ou pay for with powertools.

I dont buy in to dewalt being better than black and decker or stanley for that matter.
    Took mine to my mate this evening who repairs dewalt (Herco), he opened it and told me its innerds are all the same as in dewalts own branded drills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

benmeade wrote: »
    I dont buy in to dewalt being better than black and decker or stanley for that matter.
    Took mine to my mate this evening who repairs dewalt (Herco), he opened it and told me its innerds are all the same as in dewalts own branded drills.
    If your mate cannot tell the difference between the inner workings of a dewalt 18v XRP cordless and the advertised Stanley in the OP, then, with all due respect, he doesn't know much.

That said, I agree that with b&q for example, there are a range of cheaper built models ( by dewalt / Makita / bosch ) that are comparable to the Stanley, but they are normally priced accordingly and are aimed at the general DIYer. My initial statement regarding "getting what you pay for" is still true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

black and decker, de walt & stanley are just different brands of the same company, although those different brands are aimed at different groups (i.e. im not aware of any B&D cordless drill that can match top of the range de walt one) this is stanley's first cordless drill that i know about, specs seems decent, they have plenty of experience and there is no reason to believe that they decided to cut manufacturing cost too much in their introductory line

http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/products-services/our-brands

i doubt that anyone in this thread thinks that €140 drill with RRP of €275.50 (in most places it seems to cost around €220) will be as good as top of the range professional cordless drills that retails for anything from twice to four times more

if someone needs 8 hours a day five days a week tool he won't even think about buying this, with that said i really believe it is more than enough for everybody that will use it for semi professional purposes or general diy - how often and for how long it will be in use anyway? i know that mine won't work more than 4 hours once or twice a week, and i'm pretty sure that this one can take it for a couple of years (batteries will most likely fail first anyway)

Some good news on the extended warranty, they claimed to have had some overseen issue with ireland not being listed but soon to be rectified.
    m4rkiz wrote: »
    remember to register your tool at http://stanley.eu/3 to get that free three year warranty extension (as stated on box...)

but wait,
    "You can register your product in following countries:
    Ελλάδα
    France
    Italia
    Switzerland
    UK
    Registration in all other countries will be possible soon"

now, check page 9 of your manual - in order to be entitled to the additional two years warranty you must register within the below time frames - registration required within 4 weeks of purchase

so there is my post about 3 year warranty extension for ROI, hopefully they will come with some solution for us

http://www.stanleytools.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=651&p=1636

if you want to complain in that thread that might help ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

back in stock or can be ordered at most stores again

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dub.

Are these things any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Dub. wrote: »
    I bought one a few months back and I think it's a fantastic piece kit and I would recommend it to anyone

Dub. wrote: »
    I think it's a great piece of kit for the money. I bought a second one in homebase last week they had it for 145 minus 20% so cost €116.
    I've been using the first one on hammer action every week to drill 10mm holes in masonry.
    The difference in this one and the next of the same price is the chuck is all metal and not plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dub.

Thanks for the replies. I think i might just hunt one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

for a cheaper alternative woodies have a 24 v ROK drill in a case for €49 after discount

• Advertisement
Advertisement