Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Query

Options
  • 28-08-2012 8:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning on going Melbourne in September and then coming home in April/May.

I was just wondering though what would be the best/cheapest flight to get?

I had been thinking of getting a return with a date at the end of April but reading through the terms and conditions it appears that I'd have to pay 150e to change the date of my return flight.

Would a Round the World flight be better/cheaper? I hadn't thought of these until I saw the 150e change fee on the return.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Skyscanner google it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Try www.kayak.com as well, I found cheaper flights on that than skyscanner.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It would probably still be cheaper to buy a return. One way flights are expensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Cool thanks lads/lassies.

I was looking at the skyscanner and kayak and they're cheaper than alot of places I looked at. I'm just not sure about the change of date for the return leg of the trip. I'll ring a few places tomorrow and see what they say about.

1350 for me to fly 18th December home. Booked 7 weeks ago. Just booked my flight from Dublin back to Brisbane for jan 10th. $840 with Etihad.

Booked separately cost me $2190. Pretty cheap for Christmas.

Edit: was cheaper options for flight out but didn't want to fly with china airways or Thai.

Flying with Qantas to Hong Kong and Turkish airways rest of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

whoops sorry I meant how do people go about booking a return flight when they're not sure when they will actually be returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

irishmover wrote: »
    1350 for me to fly 18th December home. Booked 7 weeks ago. Just booked my flight from Dublin back to Brisbane for jan 10th. $840 with Etihad.

Edit: was cheaper options for flight out but didn't want to fly with china airways or Thai.

Flying with Qantas to Hong Kong and Turkish airways rest of the way.

Anybody have any reviews of flying with China Airways? Looking at flights at the moment and they are about 400 cheaper return compared to Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

irishmover wrote: »
    That's interesting, I always used to price split tickets when I was travelling home and it never worked out. You also have to factor in that air travel out of Australia is very expensive, which is likely why it was cheaper for you to split your ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

Check out flight centre, they have deals on return to london now from Melbourne for $1,320 inc taxes

http://www.flightcentre.com.au/flights/product/london

If you were smart about dates you could get a cheap ryanair flight or whatever for $100, I notice the flight centre deals often don't show on the flight comparison sites, even if it falls outside their specified dates, ring them and they might bend it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Check out flight centre, they have deals on return to london now from Melbourne for $1,320 inc taxes

If you were smart about dates you could get a cheap ryanair flight or whatever for $100, I notice the flight centre deals often don't show on the flight comparison sites, even if it falls outside their specified dates, ring them and they might bend it for you

Haha the reason the Flight Centre deals don't show up on flight comparison websites is because THEY DON'T EXIST.

That company are notorious for bait and switch tactics. ie. get you in with a cheap advertisement and then when you give your dates it's "sold out" and then quote you a much higher price.

Check this out:

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/67497

Also, In Exile, I've never heard of China Airways...are you sure that is the name of the airline? I've googled it and they don't come up.

There are a few Chinese airlines: China Southern (avoid), Air China (not bad), China Eastern (not sure) plus a few more.

Do you know which one you mean?

• Advertisement

Batgurl wrote: »

Haha the reason the Flight Centre deals don't show up on flight comparison websites is because THEY DON'T EXIST.

That company are notorious for bait and switch tactics. ie. get you in with a cheap advertisement and then when you give your dates it's "sold out" and then quote you a much higher price.

Check this out:

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/67497

Also, In Exile, I've never heard of China Airways...are you sure that is the name of the airline? I've googled it and they don't come up.

There are a few Chinese airlines: China Southern (avoid), Air China (not bad), China Eastern (not sure) plus a few more.

Do you know which one you mean?

I was referring to china southern. Forgot their name so guessed it!.. I think in exile is referring to them aswell.

The flight that were 20 bucks cheaper than my flights was china southern to Charles de Gaulle then air France to Ireland. Roughly same flight time as the one I booked.

Air France and China Southern is a disaster waiting to happen! I avoid both at all cost.

Giving Turkish Airlines a shot on the flight home. Seems to have gotten good reviews, I'm sure it won't be as bad as china southern!..

Advertisement