Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build, could use some advice!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Two things:
    • Don't go near Maplin
    • Your monitor (tv) is pretty bad: It's 720p.

Here's what I'd go with.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3450 Box, LGA1155|€177.77
    MSI B75MA-P45, Intel B75, mATX, DDR3|€59.84
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€35.34
    Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€232.00
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.82
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€67.17
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s|€61.56
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€55.73
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€53.03
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€779.25

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prometheus banned

Wow thanks! That really looks awesome, and make life a lot easier for me! yeah I think I'll stay away from Maplin so.
    I didn't realize my TV had such low res! Well I defo getting a monitor soon, along with a gaming keyboard and mouse, but I have saved around €800 now so I wanted to go ahead and get the guts of the machine and just use my current cheap-o peripherals for now
    If I could ask 1 thing, noob question I know, but what is the purpose of getting a HDD and an SSD? I've seen it in a lot of builds online, I'm just not sure why?
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Wow thanks! That really looks awesome, and make life a lot easier for me! yeah I think I'll stay away from Maplin so.
    I didn't realize my TV had such low res! Well I defo getting a monitor soon, along with a gaming keyboard and mouse, but I have saved around €800 now so I wanted to go ahead and get the guts of the machine and just use my current cheap-o peripherals for now
    If I could ask 1 thing, noob question I know, but what is the purpose of getting a HDD and an SSD? I've seen it in a lot of builds online, I'm just not sure why?
    Thanks again!

Basically, you put your Windows install and most used programs on the SSD (Web Browser, Steam etc) and then all your games/movies/music/other crap on your HDD.

It means you get the benefit of the SSD's speed for bootup, but you also get the HDD's space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prometheus banned

Eboggles wrote: »
    Basically, you put your Windows install and most used programs on the SSD (Web Browser, Steam etc) and then all your games/movies/music/other crap on your HDD.

It means you get the benefit of the SSD's speed for bootup, but you also get the HDD's space.
    Ahh! It all makes sense now. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it, will probably go with this build in the next day or two. Cheers!

Advertisement