Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maginnis resigns from UUP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I like Progressive Rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

DenMan wrote: »
    Perhaps he will join Fine Gael of Finna Fail, his ultra conservative views would be right at home in either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Perhaps he will join Fine Gael of Finna Fail, his ultra conservative views would be right at home in either.
    Ah yes, ultra conservative FG who legislated for divorce back in the 80s (in the teeth of FF opposition). Totally ignorant poppycock.

Are there social conservatives in FG? Yes. Is FG a socially conservative party? No.

HTH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sad that having stood his ground in politics for over 50 years through many life and death situations of the troubles, that his political career should end over something as relatively trivial as this.

Ah yes, ultra conservative FG who legislated for divorce back in the 90s..........

Sorted. ^^

• Advertisement

Ah yes, ultra conservative FG who legislated for divorce back in the 80s (in the teeth of FF opposition). Totally ignorant poppycock.

Are there social conservatives in FG? Yes. Is FG a socially conservative party? No.

HTH.
    Really, their leader opposes Gay rights , Their chosen Presidential canditate was an extreme right wing Catholic who vehemently opposes both gay rights and secularism, Kenny wont legislate for Gay marraige and his party are in absolute revolt over Labour demands that the Government legisllate for the X case and ECHR Judgements on abortion.
    The totally ignorant(that is; lacking in erudition) on these matters would appear to be you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Was his mother unable to spell McGuinness when filling out the birth cert?

Lapin wrote: »
    Sad that having stood his ground in politics for over 50 years through many life and death situations of the troubles, that his political career should end over something as relatively trivial as this.
    Yes few things in life are as trivial as human rights, though he was never a champion of human rights in his political career any way, it wasn't compatible with being a Major in the UDR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

To be fair the issue of gay marraige is hardly trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Do you honestly believe that calling a certain proportion of the Northern Irish population deviants could be considered to be something entirely trivial?

• Advertisement

Really, their leader opposes Gay rights , Their chosen Presidential canditate was an extreme right wing Catholic who vehemently opposes both gay rights and secularism, Kenny wont legislate for Gay marraige and his party are in absolute revolt over Labour demands that the Government legisllate for the X case and ECHR Judgements on abortion.
    The totally ignorant(that is; lacking in erudition) on these matters would appear to be you.
    Indeed, and I can come up with a litany of idiotic stuff the Labour Party, Sinn Fein, the United Lunatic Alliance, Fianna Failure or any other party did or said. It doesn't mean that it would be representative of the what the party stands for, does it? :rolleyes:

Edit: my mistake - of course we all know FF stands for nothing at all

Was his mother unable to spell McGuinness when filling out the birth cert?

It's a real surname alright. It's actually of Irish origin.

http://www.houseofnames.com/Maginnis-history?A=54323-292

I believe there are a number of variants, as with a lot of Irish surnames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I don't believe Ken Maginnis is an inherently bad person and he probably did his fair share in moving the PP along but there really isn't any room for a public figure calling people deviants for being who they are in the modern world.

I think it would be a shame if he was remembered more for his ill-thought out remarks on gay folk than what he did for the GFA which he was, in fairness, very supportive of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bigoted dinosaur tbh.

Don't even think the unionist community will miss him.

Indeed, and I can come up with a litany of idiotic stuff the Labour Party, Sinn Fein, the United Lunatic Alliance, Fianna Failure or any other party did or said. It doesn't mean that it would be representative of the what the party stands for, does it? :rolleyes:

Edit: my mistake - of course we all know FF stands for nothing at all
    And when did I suggest that I supported any of those parties? Fact is that the FG of today are more in line with Cosgrave conservative facicistas of the 70's than than the Fitzgerald/Dukes FG of the 80's.

And when did I suggest that I supported any of those parties? Fact is that the FG of today are more in line with Cosgrave conservative facicistas of the 70's than than the Fitzgerald/Dukes FG of the 80's.
    I never suggested that you supported any of those parties. :confused: And it is irrelevant to the point that I am making which party you support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I don't believe Ken Maginnis is an inherently bad person and he probably did his fair share in moving the PP along but there really isn't any room for calling people deviants for being who they are in the modern world.

I think it would be a shame if he was remembered more for his ill-thought out remarks on gay folk than what he did for the GFA which he was, in fairness, very supportive of.

a person in power will not listen, take away the power and they will ask where is the soap,

I am telling you, I am wrong but I am right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

The desperation of the UUP leadership to keep someone like him speaks volumes.

Do you honestly believe that calling a certain proportion of the Northern Irish population deviants could be considered to be something entirely trivial?

Read my post again and tell me where I said 'entirely trivial'.

I did say relatively, and yes, I believe the issue of Gay Marriage, though important is relatively trivial in comparison to much of the shít Maginnis (and others) dealt with during the troubles.

I'm not casting an opinion on Gay Marriage here.
    Thats for elsewhere.
    I'm simply saying it a sad end to a long political career.

Derailment imminent. Brace for impact.

• Advertisement

The desperation of the UUP leadership to keep someone like him speaks volumes.
    Any evidence that wethey were desperate to keep him, as I understood it they were pretty pissed at him from the get go over this.

Read my post again and tell me whrer I said 'entirely trivial'.

I did say relatively, and yes, I believe the issue of Gay Marriage, though important is relatively trivial in comparison to much of the shít Maginnis (and others) dealt with during the troubles.

Thats for elsewhere.
    You forgot to mention Military career as well, after all he was an officer in the UDR, you know who the UDR were dont you? Ever heard of the Miami Showband?

Any evidence that we were desperate to keep him, as I understood it they were pretty pissed at him from the get go over this.
    We? You're a UUP member?

Revealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

stuck by his guns. If he had an opinion and didnt express it we'd complain more.

We? You're a UUP member?

Revealing.
    look up typo in a dictionary!

You forgot to mention Military career as well, after all he was an officer in the UDR, you know who the UDR were dont you? Ever heard of the Miami Showband?

I didn't.

I just chose not to, lest I be accused of dragging the thread off topic.

And to your last question. Yes.

stuck by his guns. If he had an opinion and didnt express it we'd complain more.

In other words 'couldn't let go of his dearly cherished prejudices which were hurtful to people who had no quarrel with him'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

look up typo in a dictionary!
    ... or "Freudian slip", maybe?

:pac:

El Weirdo wrote: »
    ... or "Freudian slip", maybe?

:pac:
    Hardly, perhaps you should read my posts re this bigot and ex UDR paramilitary. I have zero tolerance for him and his ilk.
    Still , I have to admit it was about as bad a typo as is possible:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

It depends what that opinion is, If he said "I hate ni****s" would people stand for it?
    He can be opposed to gay marriage, but insulting people is uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Is this surprising to anyone. Unionists are a fairly conservative bunch. Remind me of Americans in the deep south.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Is this surprising to anyone. Unionists are a fairly conservative bunch. Remind me of Americans in the deep south.
    Or Fine Gaellers in the deep south, specially round Cork like:D, and the wesht too come to think of it!

http://sluggerotoole.com/2012/08/28/lord-maginnis-resigns-from-uup-after-failing-to-secure-mike-nesbitts-resignation-as-party-leader/

Worth a read... pathetic to try and give him the whip back, not to mention Maginnis's demands, detestable individual.

Or Fine Gaellers in the deep south, specially round Cork like:D, and the wesht too come to think of it!
    Oh Jesus.

Who do you suppose socially progressive, economically conservative people vote for? I'm just wondering.

Oh Jesus.

Who do you suppose socially progressive, economically conservative people vote for? I'm just wondering.
    Labour! :D

• Advertisement

http://sluggerotoole.com/2012/08/28/lord-maginnis-resigns-from-uup-after-failing-to-secure-mike-nesbitts-resignation-as-party-leader/

Worth a read... pathetic to try and give him the whip back, not to mention Maginnis's demands, detestable individual.
    Although, oddly enough, I imagine you'd be mounting a sterling defence of him here if he came from your side of the peace wall.

Oh Jesus.

Well it aint Kenny, Creighton et al anyway!

Although, oddly enough, I imagine you'd be mounting a sterling defence of him here if he came from your side of the peace wall.
    If anyone from "my side" of the wall :rolleyes: came out with homophobic comments like that they'd be out on their holes...

Dont try and portray my disdain for his homophobic views as political point scoring, I'm a big advocate for gay rights and always have been, campaigned etc too, so don't pull that crap, you won't see me defending comments like his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

yes because dublin is so liberal like NY and LA:confused:

Well it aint Kenny, Creighton et al anyway!
    Perhaps its Varadkar, Buttimer, Bruton and company?

(having said that, I just had a glance at the FG front bench - more there from the socially conservative wing than I expected, admittedly)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Oh Jesus.

Someone not driven by a whip hopefully.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I guess I'm pretty fucked then.

Hmmm.....now where did I put my "God Hates xxxx" signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Anyone from the mid Ulster area, will remember his attitudes to the nationalist communities in the midst of the Drumcree fiasco.

Ken danced merrily up the Garvaghy road as poor defenceless catholics were batoned off their own street by like minded loyalist thugs in RUC uniforms.

Ken was/is a bad one.

Read my post again and tell me where I said 'entirely trivial'.

Thats for elsewhere.

It's a pretty pathetic end to a long career for a supposedly progressive Unionist Politician.

Whilst Maginnis may certainly have pledged his support to the GFA, I can't help but feel that he's taken a large and clumsy step back in the eyes of Civil-Rights advocates when he spewed his toxic homophobic bile.

I don't know about you, but I simply can't reconcile myself with a person who tacitly supports the acceptance of one group in Society whilst rejecting another. Way to punctuate what could possibly have been a reasonably admirable Political Career!

If anyone from "my side" of the wall :rolleyes: came out with homophobic comments like that they'd be out on their holes...

Dont try and portray my disdain for his homophobic views as political point scoring, I'm a big advocate for gay rights and always have been, campaigned etc too, so don't pull that crap, you won't see me defending comments like his.
    Fair enough - but I've seen defences of political murderers mounted by certain posters, and as odious as homophobia is, murder is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

pragmatic1 wrote: »

A rather sweeping generalisation there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LoL, the gays got him to quit faster than the republicans... :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

the_syco wrote: »
    LoL, the gays got him to quit faster than the republicans... :pac:

You might be onto something G. If all Republicans started to bat for the other side we could have a UI in about 45 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Farewell Major Ken, the Telly has'nt been the same without you being wheeled out on UTV to splutter about some guff that your "contacts" in the security forces were feeding you

Simpler times

• Advertisement
Advertisement