Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools reopening in august

• 28-08-2012 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Whats the deal with schools reopening around the 24th of august these days? When i was a child schools never reopened until the first weekday of september.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Whats the deal with schools reopening around the 24th of august these days? When i was a child schools never reopened until the first weekday of september.

And you also wrote on slate right???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Thinly veiled "won't someone think of the paedophiles" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Crazy stuff. Kids have a week off in May for some reason as well. It's all a mess anyway, what's wrong with September 1st?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

The kids should be going back the 1st of august 2 months is far to long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

All the teachers got fed up with the long holidays so decided to go back early :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Children and teachers in Ireland can be happy. They only have 6 weeks summer holidays in Germany :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

TheBody wrote: »
    All the teachers got fed up with the long holidays so decided to go back early :pac:

They are up to something I can smell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

School year (primary) is 183 days. So go back early and have more days off during the year. Summer holidays are too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When I went to school we didn't get off until the end of July. Not bloody May or June!

Is it to do with our "mental" winters (of which we had one) and them making up snow days? The 24th seems crazy early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

When I went to school we learned geography through mathematics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It is due to how christmas and easter falls in 2012/2013 which will mean more days off so they have to make them up some where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Is it to do with our "mental" winters (of which we had one) and them making up snow days? The 24th seems crazy early.

Which begs the question why not switch the holidays?

Jester252 wrote: »

Ah god, the poor kids, only allowed out to play til 5 in the pissings of rain?

At least let them out til 10 in the pissings of rain :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I was thinking about this today its seem so wrong to go back to school before the first of September. I like the rhythms of the years to stay the way they are and for me September = school not August!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

irish-stew wrote: »
    When I went to school we didn't get off until the end of July. Not bloody May or June!

When I went to school we did 3 hours of Irish, one hour of religion, and english and math got pencilled in at the end. My mother used to give out about having to buy geography and nature books because we only did them about 3 times a year.

Considering the weather is equally shoite at both times of the year its not a bad idea.

From a comfort point of view, I would rather go to school in the summer time and stay in bed during the winter. But, maybe thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

ankles wrote: »
    Crazy stuff. Kids have a week off in May for some reason as well. It's all a mess anyway, what's wrong with September 1st?

It's a Saturday. Teachers don't work Saturdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Lucyfur wrote: »
    It's a Saturday. Teachers don't work Saturdays

Yeah imagine -teachers actually wanting a weekend too! Whatever next!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

gara wrote: »
    Yeah imagine -teachers actually wanting a weekend too! Whatever next!?

After three months off?

After three months off?

Two for Primary Schools and yeah maybe you're right -maybe teachers should work 7 days a week because of the summer holidays. That way all the parents moaning about how hard it is to entertain their little darlings an extra 5 days a week wouldn't have to see them at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Two for Primary Schools and yeah maybe you're right -maybe teachers should work 7 days a week because of the summer holidays. That way all the parents moaning about how hard it is to entertain their little darlings an extra 5 days a week wouldn't have to see them at all!

It's hardly unreasonable to ask teachers to work one Saturday after an entire summer off.

It's hardly unreasonable to ask teachers to work one Saturday after an entire summer off.
    Very good point. They could give extra tuition to those children who are falling behind.

Very good point. They could give extra tuition to those children who are falling behind.

I know plenty of teachers who do that all the time. What work do you do for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

8 and 11 weeks off in the summer is just taking the piss anyway. In the UK its 6 weeks and that's enough for 'em! By September most children have cabin fever (look outside at the weather) and most mothers are on the bottle.

Many counties have four terms, there's something in this I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Primary schools opened here today and secondary on thursday.

I've been watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Children and teachers in Ireland can be happy. They only have 6 weeks summer holidays in Germany :P
    Ack, we produce enough little Hitlers as it is, without taking away some of the little b*****ds holidays!

On a more serious note, I'll have to add 5 minutes onto my journey to work time, as there's a junction that the women in their SUVs tend to clog up every morning bringing their kids to school; in my day, we f**king walked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The Rose of Tralee was on early this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

the_syco wrote: »
    On a more serious note, I'll have to add 5 minutes onto my journey to work time, as there's a junction that the women in their SUVs tend to clog up every morning bringing their kids to school; in my day, we f**king walked!

Walked? You lucky, bastard. Back in my day, we didn't even have legs.

We used to drag ourselves to school along the footpath using our hands.

I know plenty of teachers who do that all the time. What work do you do for free?
    About 8/10 hours on a normal week, then maybe a whole Saturday as well. Just to keep up with basic responsibilities though! I know lots of people who have it worse. Everybody has to do extra work! :confused:

• Advertisement

You had footpaths? Even though you'd no feet :eek:
    Now that was forward planning. Wouldn't get that nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Ohhh lookit you with yer ''footpaths''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Back in my day schools were surrounded by pits of fire and children had to fight to the death for the only desk. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My oldest is back tomorrow. It's ridiculous having them go back for 3 days and then the weekend is there. Should start them back the first Monday in September no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

This is the most amazing thread I've ever read. It has given me a whole new outlook on life.

KKkitty wrote: »
    My oldest is back tomorrow. It's ridiculous having them go back for 3 days and then the weekend is there. Should start them back the first Monday in September no matter what.
    Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Why?
    Starting them back midweek is stupid I think. Start them back on the first Monday in September and they have a whole week ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

The kids are back to school? Here comes the good weather!

Starting them back midweek is stupid I think. Start them back on the first Monday in September and they have a whole week ahead of them.
    You dont think that going in for only a half week, after a few months off, would be an easier transition?
    What is the benefit of a "full" week, other than that it conforms to your expectations?

And what is so magical about September. Why not the last week in August? Change is that bad/scary for you?

As I said, this thread is amazing. A real eye opener.

Advertisement