Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for university

Options
  • 28-08-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi guys, I will soon be attending university and doing a degree in Maths and Physics.

I'm going to need to buy a laptop. If anyone has any advice as to what I will need as a Maths and/or physics student I would be most appreciative.
    • Processor Speed?
    • GPU?
    • RAM?
    • Programs?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I haven't studied either subject, but I imagine there won't be much need for specific programs? Unless there's something that you would be using a lot, it's handier to just use the computers on campus for subject-specific programs.

For general info, the laptops forum might be a good place to look :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Defo worth posting in the computery forums.

GPU could be hardly needed / the most needed dependent on the applications. You'll need to find out what apps you're going to be using before anyone can advise you really.

Also get some advice on where to buy it - the usual suspects are well over priced.

Advertisement