Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Travel Insurance cover items stolen whilst on vacation?

Options
  • 28-08-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

My sister is currently on holidays abroad, she just had her phone and iPod stolen on the beach. She has travel insurance and I'm ringing the travel agent tomorrow about it for her, but I'm just wondering does anyone know if usually this would be covered with travel insurance? Should I say they were stolen or is there anything that should not be said in order for her to be able to claim on the insurance?

Sorry for the long winded story, I'm new to this claiming on travel insurance stuff.

Thanks!

C

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

bleuhh wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My sister is currently on holidays abroad, she just had her phone and iPod stolen on the beach. She has travel insurance and I'm ringing the travel agent tomorrow about it for her, but I'm just wondering does anyone know if usually this would be covered with travel insurance? Should I say they were stolen or is there anything that should not be said in order for her to be able to claim on the insurance?

Sorry for the long winded story, I'm new to this claiming on travel insurance stuff.

Thanks!

C

It is important to note that she was mugged and the phone taken at knife point, she did not leave them unattended. Get her to ring her phone company and cancel/restrict her phone or she could be liable for the bill the scummers will undoubtedly run up. Travel insurance can be hit or miss and they will try every trick in the book not to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

100% agree that the first phone call should be to to her phone company to notify them of the theft. When my nephews phone was stolen when he was on holiday, there was a 36 hour delay in calling Vodafone to tell them what happened. Between then and when the phone was actually stolen, the thieves racked up phone calls to Kenya to the tune of over 650 euros. He had a heck of time getting them to take those charges of his bill due to the delay in his calling them after the theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Thanks for the replies! She is on prepay, but I rang o2 today to advise of the theft as soon as it had happened. Will she be the one that has to contact her Travel Insurance people or will I be able to do it? Will she have to report it to the police abroad as well or is this a necessity?

Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

bleuhh wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! She is on prepay, but I rang o2 today to advise of the theft as soon as it had happened. Will she be the one that has to contact her Travel Insurance people or will I be able to do it? Will she have to report it to the police abroad as well or is this a necessity?

Thanks again.

It is very important to get a police report or she will get nothing, also try do it within 24hrs of the theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Yes, most insurance policies state it clearly in their policy documents. You need to report anything stolen to the police and get a report, which is used as proof of items being stolen. Otherwise every Dick and Harry would be saying they got this and that stolen.
    As well as that, anything that's left unattended in an unsecured place, e.g. a beach, will not be covered. Even something stolen from a car if the car was open, or if it was left in plain sight would probably not be covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

My only experience was for a camera stolen in Scotland. The insurance company requested a police report and original invoice for camera. Deductions were made by them for wear-and -tear of the camera plus the insurance policy excess of €80. The amount paid out was about 25% to 30% of the original price of camera.

Advertisement