Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lump under dogs nose ?

• 28-08-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I thought that maybe he had been stung the other day but the lump isnt going down ?

Any ideas what it could be before I take him to the vet

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Could be as simple as he bit himself and it's inflamed.

Vet is your best option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

Thanks for the quick reply

Looks like its the vet so !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Could be a histiocytoma - my lad had a similar looking lump removed from above his nose on his snout a couple of weeks ago, and that's what it was. A histiocytoma is a benign lump that can go away by itself...however if it is allowed to get too large, removal can be a bit trickier. This type of lump also looks similar to a mast cell tumour, which is malignant, and the only real way to tell them apart is to have tests done, although factors such as age, breed etc can give an indication as to which it might be. With my lad (young terrier), the vet wasn't overly concerned about getting tests done. I got them anyway, and the results came back clear.

Thanks Mosi, he is a 2 year old mixture between a westie and a yorkie (I think) :)

Can you remember how much the tests cost you - just so I dont have a mini heart attack when I bring him to the vet - I dont have pet insurance - yet !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The tests were about €100, while the procedure was about €150 (plus the vet consulation fee for the first visit). Different vets charges vary though. My vet basically said it was up to me as to whether to get the tests done, and that it would probably be €100 spent to be told nothing is wrong. I went for it for piece of mind (am insured anyway). Your vet will be able to advise as to what they think is best.
    When my lad's results came back, they said it was most likely a histiocytoma but could also have been an insect bite.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Mosi, it will have to wait till next week so - bloody back to school has me wiped out this week :mad:

Advertisement