Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone given birth in Holles St?

• 28-08-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I was due to have my baby in Kilkenny but an issue arose at my 28wk scan that means I've been referred to the Fetal Assessment Unit in Holles St. My baby is suffering from moderately enlarged ventricles in the brain (ventriculomeagly). After numerous tests we've been told we can be 'cautiously optomistic' that baby will be just fine but I'm due in Holles St in a few weeks to meet the Dr's to decide when and where Jr should arrive. It's looking like I'll give birth in Holles St just in case there are any complications and so Jr can be assessed straight away. This has thrown me slightly as I had my son in KK and I knew what to expect. I've only seen the Fetal Assessment Unit of Holles St and am now a bit anxious. Can anyone advise what it's like to have a baby in Holles St?

I had an emergency section on my son due to high bp so just wondering also if Holles St are fans of sections or not? This baby is said to be big (10lbs if I go full-term)....I'm happy to give birth myself if I can but as Jr is big I'm afraid I may need help (forceps or vacuum) to get Jr out and I really don't want anyone near his head due to the ventriculomeagly. For this reason would they give me a c-section? Sorry for all the confusing questions...feeling a bit...confused...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

R u private? If so u should be able talk to ur doc. If public or semi private you'll prob c someone different every appt. I was semi private and found it hard to get much from docs at the appts but I prob didn't ask enough qs! The birth was great tho. Exam rooms r a bit dated but the delivery suites r reasonably comfortable. All the midwives that i met were lovely, younger one stays with u and a more experienced one comes to check on u if needed. From my not very extensive experience they seem more inclined to give an episiotomy rather than use forceps etc. midwife called doc to me when babs was taking a bit long but went ahead with episi, I was fine with this and she did ask first. Quite alot of others on the ward seemed to have had stitches too.
    All the staff were all v calm which was great. I'd say just ask plenty of qs all along and you'll be fine. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was semi private in Holles st twice and had the same consultant for every visit.
    The continuance of care was god.
    I am back in Holles st now on my 3rd but in the midwives clinic this time:)

There is a lack of parking near the hospital,it is extremely busy but there is no where in the country safer for a baby that may have issues.

Speak to your consultant abut your fears,if the baby is huge and their maybe issues they might prefer a c section but it will depend on other factors too.

*hugs* and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 celticshedvil

Thanks for both your replies. I was referred as a public patient but my health insurance meant I was in a semi-private room the last time and I expect it'll be the same this time. So far I've seen the same Dr each time (Dr McParland) and he's been very thorough and helpful. Before the ventriculomeagly was diagnosed both KK and my GP were saying I'd be brought in by week 37/38 and probably have a section due to my previous history of high bp. While I wasn't a fan of the section the last time I knew what to expect this time so was ok with the plan. Now things have been thrown up in the air and I'm just a bit anxious - it's a bit like being pregnant for the first time and not knowing what to expect.

Can anyone tell me how long they normally keep you in Holles St after the birth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Hiya...a Holles street survivor here too! I had two sections due to fetal distress. The first time I was induced at 35 weeks they gave me every chance to deliver myself, but it wasn't to be. As soon as the baby was in danger, it was off to surgery with me.

Usually, unless there's a medical reason they won't do a section, not without a fight anyhow. But I would think your circumstances are pretty valid.

The doctors on the antenatal clinic are excellent...they let nothing passed them...and the midwives are just absolute diamonds! They are the hardest working and yet most patient people you could meet!

As already said, speak out about your concerns. Be vocal as you can. You might also want to discuss fetal scalp monitoring....would that effect baby? Or the blood tests they do (by taking blood from baby's head) would they effect baby too?

It might be worth doing a birth plan too and have your wishes set out in it, in case they do let you deliver naturally.

Sorry just saw your second post....they keep you in for 5 days after a section, I'd there are no complications. After a normal delivery, I'm not sure, but it seems to be 2 days, some 3. I was 8 days (bp pros)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They keep you in for 3 days normally and 5 following a section.
    You can escape after the paedeatrician checks on the 2nd day thoughonce all is well obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Myself and my wife have had personal dealing with Dr McParland.
    I cannot speak highly enough of the man.

PM me if you have any questions directly

• Registered Users Posts: 5 celticshedvil

Thanks for all your helpful replies I really appreciate it.

I agree chef Dr McParland has been excellent. I couldn't be happier with how he's handled our case.

Advertisement