Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel part of Europe?

• 28-08-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have been having this debate with a friend and would like to see what others opinions are. I believe that Israel may be culturally involved with Europe, as it is part of the EBU and participates in many European sporting events. However as far as I am aware it is not officially considered to be part of Europe. My friend believes that Israel is 'politically' part of Europe. However as far as I am cocerned, wouldn't Israel need to have a representative in some European body such as the parliament or council to be.considered as politically part of Europe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

They should join the EEA or maybe even the EU. They are a great bunch of lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Israel is politically part of Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

They're in the Eurovision, thats what really counts in international law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Israel is politically part of Israel.

and Eurovision...:rolleyes:

edit - damn you Geebag a split second before me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Post a poll, do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That would be the European Union you are thinking of. Albania while it is in Europe is not part of the European Union. Israel on the other hand is in the Middle East and not part of Europe as such, however it's culture and circumstances mean it is closer to Europe than the region in which it is located.
    An Israeli football team for example may have issues playing, say, Saudi Arabia so it is better for all concerned that they play European teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ponpon wrote: »
    I have been having this debate with a friend and would like to see what others opinions are. I believe that Israel may be culturally involved with Europe, as it is part of the EBU and participates in many European sporting events. However as far as I am aware it is not officially considered to be part of Europe. My friend believes that Israel is 'politically' part of Europe. However as far as I am cocerned, wouldn't Israel need to have a representative in some European body such as the parliament or council to be.considered as politically part of Europe?

I was reading the last issue of Wired and it had Tel Aviv down in the list of Europe's top 100 startups, but it's not really in Europe. It seems that Israel is culturally more European than many of it's neighbours, but other than that it is geographically in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Its part of the middle east with other countries such as Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and ehh... Palestine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If Dana International can win the Eurovision then that's good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    An Israeli football team for example may have issues playing, say, Saudi Arabia so it is better for all concerned that they play European teams

Sadly it means they will never integrate with their neighbours. How there will ever be peace in that region is just impossible to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Hope they never do join the EU, They would have us fighting their battles for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Israel is in Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

They play in all European football competitions, that's enough for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

AH answer
    People worked long and hard to get them out of europe :eek:

Serious answer
    Although historically the founders of Israel were mostly european jews nowadays they hail from all corners of the globe, so if they want to be a nation they have to deal with their imideate neighbors in the region. And anyways their human rights record would have to improve before they could have anything to do with the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

karma_ wrote: »
    Israel is in Asia.
    Yeah, but it's the "European" bit of Asia, so it's all good. Middleastopean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

fergpie wrote: »
    Its part of the middle east with other countries such as Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and ehh... Palestine.
    Palestine will be lost to Israel sadly, take them out of that list.

As said above though, OP. It is in Asia, with the "Middle East" as a geographical region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

There isn't a continent called Europe, whatever you might have learned in primary school. That's just a western contrivance.

There isn't a continent called Europe, whatever you might have learned in primary school. That's just a western contrivance.

From a geographical point of view, you are right. But from a political point of view, there is 'Europe' as a continent, also religion is sometimes seen as a border, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Israel isn't far from The Nile.

This is just manifestly incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Lars1916 wrote: »

From a geographical point of view, you are right. But from a political point of view, there is 'Europe' as a continent, also religion is sometimes seen as a border, imo
    Not really, unless were calling the Russia asian. If Europe could stretch all the way to the pacific then a mediteranean country undoubtedly belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its the middle east. Its not Europe. They may have a European culture due to the amount of European and American imigrants who would have more in common with Europe then the rest of the middle east but geographically it is not Europe.

Not really, unless were calling the Russia asian. If Europe could stretch all the way to the pacific then a mediteranean country undoubtedly belongs.

Lots of Russia is in Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I dunno, we accept Leitrim as part of Ireland, when clearly it is more allied with Albania. Is is such a stretch to accept Israel as part of Europe?

This is just manifestly incorrect.

Technically speaking, Ireland isn't part of Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Europe

Lots of Russia is in Asia.

Europe exists to the Urals, which includes all of Russia, east of the Urals is Siberia.

Europe exists to the Urals, which includes all of Russia, east of the Urals is Siberia.

Ok. And you think Siberia is a country?

Gee Bag wrote: »

Technically speaking, yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That's Eurasia!

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    Technically speaking, yes it is.

Wikipedia never lies!

mike65 wrote: »
    That's Eurasia!

Have a little respect

No. It's obviously not, I'm just pointing out where the demarcation line of Europe extends to.

Gee Bag wrote: »

As the link correctly says 'continental' Europe.

Then Norway, Sweden, Finland, the UK, Iceland, every island. in fact, has to be excluded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Then Norway, Sweden, Finland, the UK, Iceland, every island. in fact, has to be excluded.

But Norway, Sweden and Finland aren't islands?

No it is Russia in Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ponpon

But would anyone say Israel is "politically" part of Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Israel shares very little in common with Europe. Israeli culture isn't homogeneous either. It is split between moderate Israelis, who are probably closer to Americans than Europeans... and lunatic orthodox Jews who believe in public segregation akin to what existed in apartheid South-Africa.

In anycase - I can't think of a single country in Europe that is similar to Israel.

"Continental" or "the continent" are colloquialisms and are not the same as the continent of Europe proper.

These terms are used in place of 'the mainland'. Quite true to say that Ireland is not part of mainland Europe or "the continent" but untrue to say that Ireland is not part of the continent of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ameeee

ponpon wrote: »

Israel is a country in the middle East. How on earth would it be part of Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

In my opinion, they shouldn't have anything to do with Europe.
    Having them playing their sports and singing their songs along with Europe is just an easy way out for those lot.
    The sooner they accept that they are part of the middle east, the better for everybody.
    If they didn't have the support of western democracies, then maybe they would be in more of a hurry to organise their own backyard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I can't believe there are so many people making definitive statements, and making on-up comments, technically its X without any explanation as to why...

The simple way to put it, is that the term "continent" is open to interpretation, and a unanimously agreed definition does not exist.
    If you subscribe to the "traditional" view of Europe and Asia as different continents, Israel is not part of Europe.

And if you want to subscribe to the Eurasian view, then why not Afro-Eurasia

And if you want to subscribe to the Eurasian view, then why not Afro-Eurasia

My god....this new super-continent will kill us all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Yeah, it's really called Zubadoobadooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Israel is not a part of Europe, it is a part of Asia. The only European Country Israel is similar to is Belarus, cause they both have horrible human rights records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

it's part of eurasia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

My nephew is starting fifth class this week and looking at his geography work book the map of Europe has changed an awful lot since my day thirty four countries on the map compared to about the twenty or so back when i was his age.
    ** It was well before the wall came down""

Yugoslavia made things alot easier in my day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Yugoslavia made things alot easier in my day

you obvo didn't grow up there :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Well, with regards to sport, Israel is included in UEFA because many countries really don't like the Israeli's and their football associations have shunned them in the past. They made it to a 1958 World Cup play-off against Wales without having played a single game (nobody would play them). They were expelled in 1974 from the AFC.

For instance afaik Jews are banned in Saudi Arabia. Might make playing a qualifier a bit troublesome. I couldn't imagine Israel's team going to Tehran, Baghdad, Damascus, Islamabad and so on. These are all places where you might end up going to if you were included in the AFC.

For me, Israel is in Asia. Specifically the Middle East. It is not in Europe. It doesn't even touch off a country that touches off a European country. Plenty of countries have a western lifestyle, have immigrants who settled there having come from European countries, but that does not make them European or in Europe. Australia isn't in Europe, neither is New Zealand, neither is Canada or the US.

• Advertisement
Advertisement