Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper/ mobile home hire

• 28-08-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi folks hoping to get away on a budget holiday mid sept with the oh and two kids anywhere in Ireland along the coast. Have called up a few camp sites that hire mobile homes however they are charging extortionate prices of 390 euro for a week etc even though off peak and u can get a blooming holier home for de same price!!
    Anybody got a camper they are willing to hire out at a reasonable price for the week of the 15th sept please as tight times financially and could really do with a break! Two responsible adults non drinkers smokers etc. cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Hi folks hoping to get away on a budget holiday mid sept with the oh and two kids anywhere in Ireland along the coast. Have called up a few camp sites that hire mobile homes however they are charging extortionate prices of 390 euro for a week etc even though off peak and u can get a blooming holier home for de same price!!
    Anybody got a camper they are willing to hire out at a reasonable price for the week of the 15th sept please as tight times financially and could really do with a break! Two responsible adults non drinkers smokers etc. cheers in advance!

Holiday home would definitely be cheaper. I'd say you're looking at 60+ euro per day. To put things in perspective to rent a ford galaxy for a week in september would be 500+ euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Suggestion:
    Buy a cheap trailer tent for less then a grand.
    If ye like it/enjoyed it then keep it.
    If not sell it for what ye paid for..or sell it for more next spring.
    I did this one year... Paid 500 for trailer tent and sold it for 550 after having a few holidays in it. It was a fine one too!!
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I would definitely not hire out my Campervan to anyone stranger or friend that I -A.Paid good money for to buy it -B.Money to tax it -C.Money to insure it -D.Money to doe it -E.Money to service and maintain it ... I'm not being smart or snotty with you just letting you know the costs involved in having one, I think what Marty said would be your best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I would definitely not hire out my Campervan to anyone stranger or friend that I -A.Paid good money for to buy it -B.Money to tax it -C.Money to insure it -D.Money to doe it -E.Money to service and maintain it ... I'm not being smart or snotty with you just letting you know the costs involved in having one, I think what Marty said would be your best option.
    Ok I have owned vans etc over the years and lent them out. You are not a average citizen of Ireland I would imagine with your may fein attitude !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Ok I have owned vans etc over the years and lent them out. You are not a average citizen of Ireland I would imagine with your may fein attitude !

Are you serious?

You lent a van out ? Which is basically an engine on a chassis with wheels and a big empty space.

A campervan is a hugely different.

If I was to hire my campervan to you or anyone else my insurance becomes null and void if there was an accident or damage caused it would leave me with a huge bill never mind the legal ramifications of it and for what you want to pay for it less than extortionate prices of 390 euro for a week

As for what you called me I simply dont understand so I'll take it as a complement

You might be a non drinker / non smoker etc. but I dont think you are an average citizen with your may fein attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is €390 for 7 nights that extortionate? It'd depend on the facilities on offer on or near the site, and whether that's a mains static I would've thought it wasn't that bad. If you hired a camper, staying on sites with hook up you'd probably be looking at the guts of €200* on site fees anyway. Whoever is hiring them out has to cover site fee's, wear and tear on the van etc, and presumably make a profit.

As for lending out a campervan. I'm very loathe to lend ours, unless it's somebody experienced and who knows their stuff. Apart from wear and tear and serviceable miliage considerations, in my experience the non caravan/ campervanning/ motorhoming population have no concept of the value/ cost of our van's and the equipment within, and therefore I wouldn't really trust them to take proper care. And it's easier to say no to everyone than open it up to debate.

*cost of campsites is a different issue, but thems the going rates unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Denval

Have a holiday hone near ck on Shannon,ideal base,wld b cheaper than camping at that price,if ure interested

Quote=Macy0161;80596933]Is €390 for 7 nights that extortionate? It'd depend on the facilities on offer on or near the site, and whether that's a mains static I would've thought it wasn't that bad. If you hired a camper, staying on sites with hook up you'd probably be looking at the guts of €200* on site fees anyway. Whoever is hiring them out has to cover site fee's, wear and tear on the van etc, and presumably make a profit.

As for lending out a campervan. I'm very loathe to lend ours, unless it's somebody experienced and who knows their stuff. Apart from wear and tear and serviceable miliage considerations, in my experience the non caravan/ campervanning/ motorhoming population have no concept of the value/ cost of our van's and the equipment within, and therefore I wouldn't really trust them to take proper care. And it's easier to say no to everyone than open it up to debate.

*cost of campsites is a different issue, but thems the going rates unfortunately.[/Quote]

Advertisement