Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank System Outage - Aftermath thread

• 28-08-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This is a continuation of the original "Ulster Bank systems are down thread", Part 2 and Part 3, which have been closed off due to their evergrowing size.

The same rules apply on this thread as on the previous:

a) Keep the posts constructive and civil.
    b) Keep them on topic
    c) Do not respond on thread to a post which you feel is unacceptable
    d) Report any such posts
    e) Retaliation is just as bad as instigating: i.e. "he started it" is not a defence. Drag the thread off topic, even in reply to a post by someone else will lead to deletion/infraction/bans
    f) No "funny" pics/videos/whatever else you think is hilarious. It's most likely isn't funny, and it's probably been deleted already.
    g) Anyone who falls foul of the above will get short shrift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I've yet to hear one word, email or letter from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I made a complaint during the original fiasco... might give them another call later today and demand a final response from them and see how well that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Achilles wrote: »
    I made a complaint during the original fiasco... might give them another call later today and demand a final response from them and see how well that goes.
    Put that in writing if you possibly can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Put that in writing if you possibly can.

Will do, thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

My registered letter to HQ went today, I haven't had as much as a phone call from them up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

According to the Newry Times UB will be releasing a statement tomorrow detailing how customers can "begin the process of getting compensation".
    According to the article UB will supply an application pack that customers download, fill in and return, and you will have to provide evidence.
    If this is true, it's just further dragging out of the situation by UB and i do not see how it differs from the current process tbh.

http://newrytimes.com/2012/08/30/ulster-bank-compensation-process-to-begin-tomorrow/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just got my Credit Card bill and they charged me €8.50 for missing a payment I made on the 14.08.12. I made it from a non Ulster Bank account to avoid the problems but before I said this the guy said "Ulster Bank are still experiencing signifant delays with payments to ourselves".

I swear I'm driving demented by them with one person saying the opposite of the next and I'm still €250 down with €8.50 on top of it but fear not they will endeavour to find the payment within 10-15 working days. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Hmmmm... Sound like some way to drag out & wear down.

Why should I have to prove I couldn't get at my money when they already know I couldn't?

The thing is that you are not obliged to follow any rubbish from UB on this. You don't have to fill in their forms etc to get your money. You can continue to complain in the normal manner and insist on a final response letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

i find it very hard to believe what happened. After it was solved no communication from Ulster, no letter posted to customers, it looks like nothing happened.

Im about to open PTSB account and transfer my wages and direct debits and than close Ulster account. After all reliable banking system is more important to me than some compensation.

I tried to do international payment few days ago and - system temporarily unavailable .. - I find it very hard to accept after having it unavailable for over a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Have reviewed my second letter. The main message is this - "your complaint has been open for 40 working days so you have the right to refer complaint for FSO. However we hope you can give us another 20 working days to resolve the issue"
    I also missed a call on Saturday from them. Rang back monday and am still awaiting the return call.
    I wonder what kind of compo they will be offering in that phone call.......
    Also in the letter they refer to me as Mrs . I am a man . And all my accounts with them are Mr.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One of my accounts has a lodgement of 25 euros today, which is called Incident credit, rang customer service and they can't see it as their system isn't updated, and have told me to ring back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 skippydoo20

Stheno wrote: »
    One of my accounts has a lodgement of 25 euros today, which is called Incident credit, rang customer service and they can't see it as their system isn't updated, and have told me to ring back tomorrow.

OMG I've just checked our accounts after reading your post and see we have had €25 Incident Credit lodged also. WTF is that all about?:confused:

Does anyone know if the UB statements we receive in the post should contain the date the actual payment went through or the date it was supposed to go through? My statement, as i suspected gave the dates my standing order was meant to go out, however i have a statement from my credit union and they don't tally at all. I would have thought it should list the actual date it went out?

UB statements are showing the date it should have went out which is at variance with what really happened.

UB statements are showing the date it should have went out which is at variance with what really happened.

Glad i got that statement from the CU now, UB's statements aren't worth the paper they are written on so lol.

They have a cheek putting this on their website when they are issuing statements that look like payments were met on time! - "You can also check your bank statements when they become available. This will be the best way of seeing whether payments have not been made as a result of a salary or other credit not being received on time."

I haven't received any credit to my account

OU812 wrote: »
    I haven't received any credit to my account
    Nor me. Just checked my accounts there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I got it to one and not the other, the one I got it to was one they accidentally deducted about four hundred euros from and reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

25 euro doesn't sound like a reason to stay with them and if that is going to be their way of saying sorry well .. at least we see how much we are worth ..

anyway we will see tomorrow

they do however need to realize (and im sure they do) that if the compensation is not up to peoples expectations they are very likely to leave this bank.

I didn't complain as most information was in media and there wasn't much for me to do just wait so I probably gonna get nothing as i'd say people that complained will get 'special' treatment.

• Advertisement

UTV have an article up now about the pending announcement, i see a retired Sunday Times journalist got €100 in compensation.

http://www.u.tv/News/Compensation-announcement-due-on-Friday/d6ca3e1f-a3e4-4a87-ad56-26e0831cc55d

I'm waiting to see who the first journalist to write "users on boards.ie are reporting unexpected lodgements to their accounts coded as Incident credit, and speculating that it's due to the outage, as UB customer care don't appear to know"

Any bets?

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm waiting to see who the first journalist to write "users on boards.ie are reporting unexpected lodgements to their accounts coded as Incident credit, and speculating that it's due to the outage, as UB customer care don't appear to know"

Any bets?

€2 on the indo or the journal ;)
    Remember we will be operating on UB time so Friday's announcement may not be this Friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

chasm wrote: »
    UTV have an article up now about the pending announcement, i see a retired Sunday Times journalist got €100 in compensation.

http://www.u.tv/News/Compensation-announcement-due-on-Friday/d6ca3e1f-a3e4-4a87-ad56-26e0831cc55d

$1000 would not be enough we got ****ed big time:mad:

I waited until the dust settled & everything appeared to be back to normal before making a formal complaint. I had mentioned it in my branch that I was extremely inconvenienced when it happened (not going to go through it all again). I wrote to them when everything appeared back to normal & got out a acknowledgement letter & also got a phone call from my business manager in branch. Since then I've heard nothing & am on the verge of requesting a final resolution.

They put me through a huge amount of distress for the duration & I was greatly inconvenienced & then lied to twice "it'll all be back to normal tomorrow". I'm certainly not settling for €25.

I was very happy with them, very handy having Visa Debit as I don't have a credit card. I was on the verge of transferring all family accounts to them, from AIB, however, if AIB get their finger out & get me a visa debit, I might just stay with them & close my UB accounts. It's been an absolute sham.

Although I hate the "compensation society" we live in, I do feel aggrieved & I believe they should pay me for the inconvenience & stress they put me through. How much they pay me will determine wether or not I stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 skippydoo20

duckysauce wrote: »
    $1000 would not be enough we got ****ed big time:mad:

totally agree with you. €25 extra in my account tonight is an absolute joke

OU812 wrote: »
    Although I hate the "compensation society" we live in, I do feel aggrieved & I believe they should pay me for the inconvenience & stress they put me through. How much they pay me will determine wether or not I stay with them.

Look at it this way, during the "glitch" UB didn't mind charging people for non payments and late fees etc so rather than looking at it as compensation you could look on it as you applying fees against them for inadequate service, non payment of monies etc ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I got an incident credit of €25 as well on my joint account. But nothing in the other two accounts that I have with them in my own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 colsmiff

I don't know about compensation, but when I tried to use my UB debit card last night to pay off some of my mortgage arrears it was declined. A quick investigation online showed that my overdraft facility has been cancelled without warning or agreement. I phoned the anytime banking tobe told that it was a branch matter and I would have to speak to them.... roll on 9 am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No offence but not really anything to do with the aftermath of previous UB outage is it?!

Advertisement