Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank System Outage - Aftermath thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What is interest wring is that UB are sending out letters to those given compensation for their recent fekup that gives a breakdown of the amont as
    (A) Out of pocket expenses
    (B) Inconvience money

This is then asterisked by a declararation that the tax man may have some interest in this this amount.

It is of interest that they have taken the trouble to do this - looks like they are setting people up for a tax other than capital gains in my opinion....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

gozunda wrote: »
    What is interest wring is that UB are sending out letters to those given compensation for their recent fekup that gives a breakdown of the amont as
    (B) Inconvience money

This is then asterisked by a declararation that the tax man may have some interest in this this amount.

It is of interest that they have taken the trouble to do this - looks like they are setting people up for a tax other than capital gains in my opinion....

I don't think Ulster Bank would have a say either way on what the revenue wants to do.

(B) Inconvience money

I don't think Ulster Bank would have a say either way on what the revenue wants to do.

Did not say they did. UB have alreadyvpublished warning about customers being taxed on their compensation. They are quite clearly setting out the category of composition and then stating liability for taxation. Other posters have mentioned CG tax - I reckon this will be taxed by other means due to the the relatively high ceiling for GC. It will of interest as to what shenanigans the government come up with to get their hands on this...

Did not say they did. They are quite clearly setting out the category of composition and then stating liability for taxation. Other posters have mentioned CG tax - I reckon this will be taxed by other means due to the the relatively high ceiling for GC. UB have already posted warning about customers being taxed. It will of interest as to what shenanigans the government come up with to get their hands on this...

I don't think the government will do anything. It would be to little gain for the stink people would kick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Did not say they did. They are quite clearly setting out the category of composition and then stating liability for taxation. Other posters have mentioned CG tax - I reckon this will be taxed by other means due to the the relatively high ceiling for GC. UB have already posted warning about customers being taxed. It will of interest as to what shenanigans the government come up with to get their hands on this...

I don't think the government will do anything. It would be to little gain for the stink people would kick up.

UB have already informed their customers that Revenue WILL

Don't believe me?

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/threat-to-tax-ulster-banks-compensation-payout-3235792.html

Also read previous posts on topic

Phone them on The incident phone line and give out stink - it's the only thing to get a proper response...

Don't believe me?

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/threat-to-tax-ulster-banks-compensation-payout-3235792.html

I won't take the tabloid Independent as gospel

Captain Morgan. I sent off a letter over two weeks ago i didn't get a reply or call. So I sent an email to Clare Gleeson at the weekend. I got two missed calls from the bank yesterday.

Don't believe me?

I won't take the tabloid Independent as gospel

Jeez look it up yourself then - the indo were reporting on UB own declaration or is that too difficult? Btw do check out the other posts on this ok. Btw I believe the indo is classed as a broadsheet but whatever All customers receiving compensation HAVE recieved notification that they may be liable to taxation on the compensation recieved.....

You appear to have great faith in our lovely government. Can't think of any reasons for same tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Captain Morgan. I sent off a letter over two weeks ago i didn't get a reply or call. So I sent an email to Clare Gleeson at the weekend. I got two missed calls from the bank yesterday.
    Wife sent an email to customer service 2 weeks ago . Heard nothing.
    Is there a direct email for Clare Gleason ?

km79 wrote: »

Phone the incident phone number given online - ask for the matter to be dealt with ASAP. Also make sure to ask for your case number and take note of who / when. They will let you know status of your complaint.

yes there is.

yes there is.
    Can you share it ðŸ˜႒

Can you share it ðŸ˜႒

You can work it out. Its not that hard. I did. I don't think I could put it up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

If you can't get an email address, I posted a letter to the address below on the 17th September, got a phone call on the 25th and money in my account on the 26th!

Ms. Clare Gleeson
    Head of Complaint Management ROI
    Ulster Bank Ireland Limited
    Complaint Handling Centre
    1st Floor, Block D, George’s Quay
    Dublin 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Me too Captain Morgan, sent a letter on the 29th August and a follow-up email on the 18th of September and not a peep.

Meanwhile my partner has had his complaint sent at the same time resolved.

I mailed again this morning to say that unless I hear from them by 5pm tomorrow a letter will be going to the FO first thing Monday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

did your partner involve the Ombudsman? My issue was solved very promptly once the final request letter and ombudsman letter went in.
    My wife on the other hand has heard zip. I guess the Ombudsman cases get priority. there is a separate team dealing with Ombudsman complaints. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

No, he didn't involve the FO, just sent in a letter detailing how he had been inconvenienced and requesting a final response, same as mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

100gSoma wrote: »
    did your partner involve the Ombudsman? My issue was solved very promptly once the final request letter and ombudsman letter went in.
    My wife on the other hand has heard zip. I guess the Ombudsman cases get priority. there is a separate team dealing with Ombudsman complaints. :rolleyes:

I've just done this now after 2 letters I've sent to UB have been met with the standard "give us more time alternatively contact the ombudsman" response. I've had a few phone calls which didn't resolve anything and my last 2 calls to them have gone unanswered and have not been returned.

I've escalated this now to the ombudsman we'll see what happens.

apparently the letter I sent into them, they haven't received so had to email it to them.. was offered 25 euro.... I said I won't entertain that at all. Will see next week

I complained on behalf on my brother but the chump took the €25! :rolleyes: Can you go back on the offer once accepted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I went into the branch today to lodge money to the work account and then to take out my compensation and bring it to the BOI.

What a chump I was made out to be. On Tuesday the money was there, today I went in and somebody closed the account so now they don't know where the money is because the account is gone from the computers.

Feel such a fool because at 8am this morning I transferred money out of my BOI account to my loan account assuming I would be collecting the compo cash today. :mad:

Ended up e-mailing Clare Gleeson 5 minutes ago.

EDIT: Wow, already an e-mail back from Clare. Fair play to her.

I emailed her too a couple of times and got replies almost instantly. Very professional indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

And my case is resolved. Never posted the ombudsman letter in the end. got a phone call before I had a chance and negotiated a settlement :) I'm sure UB wish I never signed up to them (1 month before the debacle!) but I may continue with them now :pac:

Sent email on behalf of wife 2 weeks back. Missed call Friday. Letter today saying she would be receiving 120 euro. Happy with that. I got the same and it was just for sheer annoyance and stress !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

So what's the most someone who's not in Business receieved, got a call yesterday from the so called complaints centre the guy said the max they could pay out was €120 without having to go to supervisor and blah blah blah ,then went up to €150 , agreed to that. Did not have the fight left in me to bother with the c=nts anymore.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I thought this was over.

I paid three cheques into my account on Saturday and they have vanished. They were showing up until Monday night, now they have gone. Apparently they didn't "close the batch" properly.

I'm convinced they are out to get me.

Advertisement