Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank System Outage - Aftermath thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Duckysauce wrote:
    So what's the most someone who's not in Business receieved, got a call yesterday from the so called complaints centre the guy said the max they could pay out was €120 without having to go to supervisor and blah blah blah ,then went up to €150 , agreed to that. Did not have the fight left in me to bother with the c=nts anymore.

€540 is the most I've seen a friend of mine get confirmed by letter for a personal account (not me btw tho it's close :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

00sully wrote: »
    €540 is the most I've seen a friend of mine get confirmed by letter for a personal account (not me btw tho it's close :pac:)

Yeah, I'm in that ballpark too. Not heard of anyone get 4 figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Ment to have gotten a call back on with tuesday or wednesday. Nothing yet. I'm holding my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

My update....

About a week after sending two separate letters, I received a phonecall from a CS guy who was very nice, very apologetic and very helpful. I wasn't out of pocket anything but I did feel that I deserved the minimum compensation of €25 which he topped up to €30. I was more than happy. End of conversation.

A week later, I have 4 missed calls 'blocked' on my mobile phone and 3 missed 'blocked' calls on my landline. Not thinking it was UB for a second as I had no more dealings with them I was ignoring the calls as I thought someone would leave me a voicemail on my messaging service but no!

Eventually answered the landline, guess what, it was UB, a girl this time, wanting to resolve my claim. After explaining to her it had already been resolved she said no problem and hung up. 30 minutes later, phone rings again, I answer, it's her again, wanting all my details to ensure I was taken off the calling list, what a genuis idea!

That was that.

Today, home from work, check post, open letter - UB. Telling me that I have over borrowed on my current account and that the Direct Direct for the Credit Union had been returned unpaid and that they were charging me €12.70. Problem? Wrong A/C number, Wrong Balance and I HAVE NO DIRECT DEBITS! Rang local branch...connected to Belfast CS, 'Oh we can't deal with that here, you need to contact your branch...me 'sorry that's the number I am after calling' lady 'let me take your details and I will refer them back to Sligo and they will call you'.

It will be fun sorting this out, obviously they mixed myself and someone else up but have sent me their bank details and balances aswell! Another oops for UB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Apparently, UB introduced different timeframes to dealing with complaints resulting from the techinical incident. At least that's what I was told, by email, when I asked why it took them nearly 10 weeks just to acknowledge my letter of complaint.

I've replied, reminding them that the Central Bank's Consumer Protection Code sets out the timeframes for dealing with complaints. I can't wait to see how they reply to that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I complained and got a pack sent to my house with "get your voice heard" as the title of the leaflet. I thought that was the point of the email?!

And they've started randomlly cancelling my direct debits as well!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Just got off the phone with them, refused an offer of €150 based on my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Still nothing from UB after 6 weeks so sent my complaint to the FO last week who was in touch today to say that a case handler from UB should be in touch soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I got a payment in to my account this morning and I don't know what it is for - they don't know what it is either - It has the code SBT and then Funds transfer as the narrative - anyone know what this could be.

OU812 wrote: »
    Just got off the phone with them, refused an offer of €150 based on my experience.

did you suggest a figure you would be happy with, and did they refuse that counter-offer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    I got a payment in to my account this morning and I don't know what it is for - they don't know what it is either - It has the code SBT and then Funds transfer as the narrative - anyone know what this could be.

SBT is Screen Based Transaction. after that I don't know.

Edit: Apparently "A transaction processed by the branch on your behalf"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Thanks for that but as the branch don't even know what it's for I don't hold out much hope that it actually belongs to me. It's not a whole lot of money but not to be sneezed at either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

A duplicate transaction from a UK ATM from back in August just turned up on my account today.

I dont think its related to 'the big bang'...

Weary of all this now..

100gSoma wrote: »
    did you suggest a figure you would be happy with, and did they refuse that counter-offer?

I'd already provided them with a figure (after their refusal to suggest one first), both in verbally & then in writing.

The guy who called me told me he was only authorised to go up to €150 & would have to escalate it.

As it happens, this morning I got a letter from them telling me that as it's been over 40 days, I'm now free to deal with the FO. So I may go down that route instead.

I'd already provided them with a figure (after their refusal to suggest one first), both in verbally & then in writing.

The guy who called me told me he was only authorised to go up to €150 & would have to escalate it.

As it happens, this morning I got a letter from them telling me that as it's been over 40 days, I'm now free to deal with the FO. So I may go down that route instead.

I was told they could only authorise 25 euro then it went up to 50 then 100.. pinch of salt

I'm annoyed over the fact that despite me telling them twice what figure I was requesting, they'd try to low-ball me like that.

I'm annoyed over the fact that despite me telling them twice what figure I was requesting, they'd try to low-ball me like that.

its all relivant. How much were you asking for ? Maybe it was to much. were you sersious inconvenienced ? Out of pocket expenses etc

Unfortunately I can't go into detail publicly Handlemaster as there would be identifying circumstances. But I was temporarily out of pocket & seriously inconvenienced. The price I put on it was based on the time it's taking me to sort it out, nothing more.

Unfortunately I can't go into detail publicly Handlemaster as there would be identifying circumstances. But I was temporarily out of pocket & seriously inconvenienced. The price I put on it was based on the time it's taking me to sort it out, nothing more.

Bare in mind what the Ombusdman would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Bare in mind what the Ombusdman would say.

anyone have a feeling what the Ombudsman would say? Have they made any judgements yet on this? Is there any precedents to get a feeling what the outcome might be once they start deciding?

• Advertisement

mobpd wrote: »
    anyone have a feeling what the Ombudsman would say? Have they made any judgements yet on this? Is there any precedents to get a feeling what the outcome might be once they start deciding?

In the insurance industry the Ombudsman figure is up to 500. I don't think you would be getting more unless there was hardship etc. I may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You will be waiting over a year for the ombudsman to make a decision.

I understand you cannot tell us what you were asking for.
    However, I would say that the number of accounts and their euro value, plus the throughput of business through those accounts would be a huge factor in UBs decision on the cap for any payment due to you.

Fictional Example: If you have regular funds of about 1 or 2 months salary in your accounts, you would not be treated the same as someone with 5 years of salary in their accounts. It's all relative. I'm guessing you were asking for the top end of the good will payment scale 500euro + etc so would need to justify that in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It seems they are now playing hardball with all complaints. They are now referring them to some other dept after a figure is requested on the first call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Closed a loan account with them in Feb (final and full settlement) - just got the standard apology letter, so figured my account must still be open. I also never got any paperwork to say that I owed them nothing. Rang them and they had still not processed the paperwork eight months later! Said they would have it out to me soon...:eek:

Run! Run as fast as you can. Go!

It seems they are now playing hardball with all complaints. They are now referring them to some other dept after a figure is requested on the first call.

This is hardly surprising though is it? The complaints have been growing in recent weeks with many people lodging their initial complaint in September and demanding 100s of Euro. I'm not saying that those cases are not worthy of investigation or settlement, but there has been a huge increase in complaints since word of settlements started to be discussed on here. Obviously UB need to ensure each one is properly handled.

I got mine sorted during the week. so happy with that. It had been dragging on. But I guess thats part of the strategy, annoy the customers into surrendering

mine dragged on since July too, but when it came to sorting it out in Sept, it was sorted in a very prompt and courteous way with plenty of communication. I think the scale of the issue is difficult to appreciate.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hearscheme

I sent a letter at the end of August and had 2 missed calls from them a couple of weeks later and nothing since. I can't find the number to call on their website, does anyone have it?

• Advertisement

hearscheme wrote: »
    I sent a letter at the end of August and had 2 missed calls from them a couple of weeks later and nothing since. I can't find the number to call on their website, does anyone have it?

best to drop an email to to claire

Advertisement