Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank System Outage - Aftermath thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

^is it firstname.surname@ulsterbank.ie ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

If you ring the number on their website they will make sure you get a call back within the next 24 hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

My account is starting to **** up again... anybody elses like this? Charges appearing like random and funds that I'm waiting to come in to the account are taking their sweet time...

I get the impression that they're just processing stuff at random now when they feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Goat a call today at last. I had complained on behalf of my wife and myself for our joint account.

They met me halfway on my demand and are sending me out a form for my free credit check. I told them I wasn't happy with their offer initially and that in truth my wife was far more inconvenienced than I was. I was told she could file a separate complaint against her own current account if she wished. So I'll leave it up to her.

But it's settled as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: I should say, settled once the money is in my account.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    My account is starting to **** up again... anybody elses like this? Charges appearing like random and funds that I'm waiting to come in to the account are taking their sweet time...

I get the impression that they're just processing stuff at random now when they feel like it.

Our joint U-First account was charged (usual subscription charge) but it was then refunded.

Had a missed call on Monday & got a letter today to give them a call as they want to resolve the issue. Don't understand why they can't either publish their number or leave a message with a number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Got my call yesterday, finally!

Went through all my issues with the bank and then made me an extremely generous offer. He told me before mentioning a figure that I didn't have to accept so I was expecting the whole €25, €50, 150 kinda haggling but that didn't happen.

I was more than happy with the amount offered as I had a figure in my head and had added onto it the more time ticked by and the more they ignored all attempts by me to contact them so when he offered more than that I was glad to accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Our joint U-First account was charged (usual subscription charge) but it was then refunded.

yep looks like starnge things happening again. I have a €15 charge on my uFirst account. Not a regular charge. No idea what it is. WIll need to ring them. not refunded yet.

Money in the account today.

• Advertisement

Final complaint settled yesterday. Still waiting on the money.

Still Waiting

You must be near the Final Response letter stage by now?

You must be near the Final Response letter stage by now?

Passed it, there's shall we say "complications" (on their side).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

i got a letter a few weeks ago confirming compensation. I didn't get any confirmation that they had actually paid, do they follow this up ?

Just came to a final resolution with them over the phone for an agreeable sum considering the stress and monetary loss that was involved.

No point in getting worked up with the customer service agents over the phone after all it's not their fault. Happy with the outcome though still deciding whether I should stay with them as a bank or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

i looked for 900 euro ( figure pulled out of me hole )
    and have been offered 500 today
    no letters involved just an email to my branch at the time .

was called a few times over the last 3 months with offers of 25 , 50 , 150 then i was called this week and told them the time.

note i was never out of pocket but did visit the bank a few times and was not paid for 3 weeks .

im still debating it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

I asked for 600 and ended up getting 625. Took three letters and a couple of calls.

Whatever you ask for they're putting an additional 20% on top of that... if the senior agent you end up speaking to is sympathetic to your cause then they may just give you a little surprise when it comes in to your account.

• Advertisement

jonnyha wrote: »
    I asked for 600 and ended up getting 625. Took three letters and a couple of calls.

Good result i'd say. Do you do all your banking with them ? and were you really inconvenienced

The compensation I got went straight into a saving's account... my very first saving's account.

I'll be topping that up every month from now on... it's a good start.

I see now that Ulster bank will not give the deposit top up if you have a money market deposit ... saying its a 'structured deposit' even though it is not liked to the markets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

To the people that are getting offered big sums of compensation cash is your account overdrawn?

Mine is overdrawn to the tune of a few K.

I wonder how strong my bargaining power is?

So Ulster Bank's systems allowed my account to be defrauded three times over the weekend before their automated system kicked in..

Did I get a phone call or anything about it? Nope... locked out of my own funds with a pending transaction to some retailer in LA.

Their system isn't clever enough apparently to realise that when I've just made a transaction in Dublin that I'm not going to be in LA thirty minutes later.

Thankfully after heading in to branch today they were able to give me a free loan of the cash that should be in my account (until it's refunded) but if their systems were in any way decent (which history has proven they are not) this wouldn't have happened.

They have just given me more compensation to shut me up about it though but even still I can't see myself staying with them if this **** keeps happening.

I'm not annoyed about the fact that my account was defrauded, that unfortunately can happen to anyone. I'm annoyed at their totally unhelpful attitude.

Grrr...

I think they are still having issues. I was in my local branch two weekends ago. They said their system (server in branch )was down and they couldn't access / update my account.That I could make an appointment for a later date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

I think they are still having issues. I was in my local branch two weekends ago. They said their system (server in branch )was down and they couldn't access / update my account.That I could make an appointment for a later date

Im convinced they are still having issues!! came on to see if there was a thread specifically about it but i spotted your post first.

2 fridays ago so 9th November i done some shopping worth €60, paid using my visa debit card and the money was gone out of my account straight away. Come monday the money was back in my account and no sign of a payment being made at all, not sure when it went back in. I withdrew the money not realising that it happened, i only checked my balance on my phone to see what i could withdraw and come tuesday i was overdrawn by the amount of the shopping. Thought it was strange at the time. Worst thing was i got CHARGED for being overdrawn!! I wouldnt have been overdrawn if they hadnt put back in the money i had spent!

Anyways roll on to last friday just gone, made a purchase online so using my Visa Debit card again and balance was reduced straight away. cleared my account out saturday - i had zero in there! Money was back in my account AGAIN sunday! Withdrew it again just waiting to see if they will charge me this time!

This is exactly what was happening to my account about a month before the last crash and i was just getting pissed off with it and about to report it when the whole thing went belly up!! not going to wait that long this time to find out what on EARTH they are at!!

Anyone else noticed anything similar happening with their account?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 IrishSaint83

GismoBaby wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed anything similar happening with their account?

This happened me a few times also, always with online purchases - I reckon its some kind of clearing system. I actually use it to my advantage when i am skint! Top up train card online a week before payday, then the next day withdraw the cash i used to pay for the train card. Puts the account overdrawn, i pay the od charge but sometimes its necessary to put bread on the table!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

This happened me a few times also, always with online purchases - I reckon its some kind of clearing system. I actually use it to my advantage when i am skint! Top up train card online a week before payday, then the next day withdraw the cash i used to pay for the train card. Puts the account overdrawn, i pay the od charge but sometimes its necessary to put bread on the table!

Im at the exact same thing as im waiting for my college grant to come through so im living on a pittance so for the moment im enjoying the mess up they are making but im just scared in case it goes belly up again!! Last time i had wages i could draw on but id be well up the river without a paddle if it happened now!!

Advertisement