Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank System Outage - Aftermath thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

Hmmm....Ulster Bank seem completely incapable of managing communication. I too have an open complaint with them, and my account balance is still incorrect by a couple of hundred euro. I received this 'incident credit' this morning too and took myself off to their website to read the following:

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/help-point-tabbed.ashx
    If you are concerned about your credit rating, please visit your local branch and speak to a member of staff or call us on 1800 205 100 (Monday to Saturday 8am - 6pm). If you consent to receive a credit report free of charge a staff member will take your details and the report will be requested from the Irish Credit Bureau. The Irish Credit Bureau will send you a report directly, which typically takes a minimum of 5 working days, once they have received the submission. We will pay for one credit report per customer until the end of 2012.

Given that this fiasco meant I got charged interest, late payment fees and a overlimit fee by my credit card provider, I definitely want my credit report. So I called the number given only to be told by the agent that they can't start taking phone calls on this until Jim Brown "speaks to the media".....when I told him that the information is on their live website, he was unable to comment. His supervisor latched on to the Mon-Sat hours and said the initiative will only begin on Monday.

The longer this sorry scenario drags on, the more incompetent UB/RBS are showing themselves to be. Will be very happy when I can close my accounts for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Just after trying to login to UB Anytime Internet Banking and got the following, familiar message:

"We're sorry but the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Should I be worried?!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

OMG I've just checked our accounts after reading your post and see we have had €25 Incident Credit lodged also. WTF is that all about?:confused:
    Strangely enough I was just down getting some money out and there was 25 euro extra..thought I had my sums wrong must check that later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Full details of compensation from UB can be found here:

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/documents/ROI/technical-incident-help-point.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

My memory may be iffy but did the UK customers not get £100?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

So, the online banking is now down, and they're giving us €25 for our inconvenience of over a month of ridiculous carry on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

So, the online banking is now down, and they're giving us €25 for our inconvenience of over a month of ridiculous carry on?

€25 plus up to €120 extra if you have receipts based on the pdf I've linked too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

"Service unavailable" on iPhone App"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Their online banking for businesses is definitely still up and running (just logged in a second ago) so must just be personal banking that is down at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It's down because everyone is trying to access it at the same time. The systems haven't crashed again.

testicle wrote: »
    It's down because everyone is trying to access it at the same time. The systems haven't crashed again.

Is that not one and the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

It's poor capacity management from UB.

And besides, a service is unavailable to the customer.

The customer does not care why it is down, be it too many people logging on, a flood bringing the system down or a rat eating a cable.

Ulsterbank are yet again not supplying customers with an acceptable level of service.

Well anyway. If that's it. I'll take it. Then finally, after biding my time I'll start moving my current account and savings elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

I am absolutely raging after reading the UB statement:

"...An automatic one-off payment of €25 to those Personal Current Account customers who visited and transacted at a branch during the period of the incident (19 June - 18 July 2012) more frequently than in the equivalent period before the incident (19 May - 18 June 2012)."

So the only ones inconvenienced were those who visited their branch???

And their system if offline again today. I'm sending everything to the Financial Services Ombudsman at this stage and see where it goes from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have to say, although I wasn't personally affected by this - I'd setup a UB account shortly before the mess with the intention of moving everything to it, but hadn't gotten around to it yet (thankfully!) - €25 for weeks of hassle, missing wages, stress, bounced payments and charges, not knowing what you have or owe etc, is a bad joke!

I was waiting to see if they'd finally sorted out the mess (seeing as people were still reporting problems in the last thread) but this has made my mind up for me. I'll be closing the a/c today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

cookie1977 wrote: »
    €25 plus up to €120 extra if you have receipts based on the pdf I've linked too

as per the previous thread if you have a complaint in writing they are handing these on a case by case basis. I've been offered €200 but refused. others have been offered as much as €300 and have accepted while I know others who have demanded more but have yet to hear back.

I wouldn't be settling for what is outlined on their website linked above
    cookie1977 wrote:

Their calculations actually only really encompass expenses as a result of this. Forget actual expenses be reimbursed - that is a given. Oh how noble of them to state they won't leave us out of pocket for their mess :rolleyes: This is about compensation for the complete breakdown of their system resulting in non-tangibles:

1. Stress - we never had a set date when it would be sorted and it dragged on for WEEKS
    2. Not being able to pay bills
    3. Not being able to buy food
    4. Not KNOWING when you would have money
    5. Having to get loans to cover not getting paid - I personally had to get a loan to pay my mortgage ffs!
    6. Returned direct debits
    7. Adversely affects on credit rating

So they want tangible amounts and receipts for all of the above (and more that I've missed) to come to a conclusive figure. UB complaints keep saying "send us in receipts and we'll refund you". This is not enough. I won't be settling my complaint until I am adequately compensated for this catastrophe.

00sully wrote: »
    as per the previous thread if you have a complaint in writing they are handing these on a case by case basis. I've been offered €200 but refused. others have been offered as much as €300 and have accepted while I know others who have demanded more but have yet to hear back.

I wouldn't be settling for what is outlined on their website linked above

Their calculations actually only really encompass expenses as a result of this. Forget actual expenses be reimbursed - that is a given. Oh how noble of them to state they won't leave us out of pocket for their mess :rolleyes: This is about compensation for the complete breakdown of their system resulting in non-tangibles:

1. Stress - we never had a set date when it would be sorted and it dragged on for WEEKS
    2. Not being able to pay bills
    3. Not being able to buy food
    4. Not KNOWING when you would have money
    5. Having to get loans to cover not getting paid - I personally had to get a loan to pay my mortgage ffs!
    6. Returned direct debits
    7. Adversely affects on credit rating

So they want tangible amounts and receipts for all of the above (and more that I've missed) to come to a conclusive figure. UB complaints keep saying "send us in receipts and we'll refund you". This is not enough. I won't be settling my complaint until I am adequately compensated for this catastrophe.
    Another problem I see is that actually how many people will follow all of this up? I doubt all that are entitled to compensation and out of pocket expenses will get what they are owed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

bravo wrote: »

And their system if offline again today. I'm sending everything to the Financial Services Ombudsman at this stage and see where it goes from there.

Just came on to post and see was anyone else not able to access online seems im not the only one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

€25 . . . :eek:. . . €25

This lot are having a laugh, why not a candy bar & a bag of Tayto.
    €25 wouldn't cover a single days compensation for this whole fiasco.
    The media will have a field day here, Dara O'Brien couldn't make this up.

We're going down the road of the Ombudsman anyway, they can keep their €25, sounds like they need it more than us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    Just came on to post and see was anyone else not able to access online seems im not the only one.

It's working for me at the moment

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    €25 . . . :eek:. . . €25

This lot are having a laugh, why not a candy bar & a bag of Tayto.
    €25 wouldn't cover a single days compensation for this whole fiasco.
    The media will have a field day here, Dara O'Brien couldn't make this up.

We're going down the road of the Ombudsman anyway, they can keep their €25, sounds like they need it more than us.

It appears to me they are offering €25 to customers who HAVEN'T written a formal complaint to them!! and you have to complain to them officially before going to the ombudsman to give them a chance to rectify the situation.

will everyone please, get off your arses and write a letter?

as I said, people who do have been offered a minimum of €150 going down this route.

€25. pffft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

what a shower of jokers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

€25 for going into the branch, I deliberately didn't go to a branch out of fear that they would screw up even further. So I get nothing for being cautious!!! :mad:

I didn't write an official letter of complaint as I though UB would redeem themselves by offering a decent compensation but I will certainly be writing one now

I got €25 into the joint current account that I keep with my wife. Most of our direct debits come out of that.

Nothing in my personal current account. I had to call to the branch a couple of times but it doesn't look like they marked anything against my personal current account, even though I'd made a few queries about it while there.

We'll see if my wife gets anything into her personal current account which would make €50 between us. (we have 5 accounts with them). Otherwise it'll be just €25.

Probably saved a little by not being charged U-first fees in the interim also.

I'm not condoning crazy lawsuits but at one end of the scale if this was the USA they'd be facing loosing a class action lawsuit for stress, expenses, losses etc... And a massixve payout where as their current offer seems at the complete other end of the scale. As in miserable. Surely something in between is what was required?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

00sully wrote: »
    It appears to me they are offering €25 to customers who HAVEN'T written a formal complaint to them!! and you have to complain to them officially before going to the ombudsman to give them a chance to rectify the situation.

will everyone please, get off your arses and write a letter?

as I said, people who do have been offered a minimum of €150 going down this route.

€25. pffft.

We wrote a letter of complaint to our branch manager about a month ago.
    We also sent a letter of complaint to the head office.
    We received a mealy mouthed apology letter looking for 20 days I believe before escalating to the Ombudsman.
    This is now our next step, I hope many other do the same.

it will take you 5 minutes to write the letter. Then get a stamp and post it. I dunno tho, is €150 - €300 worth that? what if this happens again? where is the re-assurance that it won't? because that re-assurance is not in here: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/documents/ROI/technical-incident-help-point.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Just got a call from my business manager, to tell me my business account was overdrawn.

Whys that then?

Well there was a duplicate deposit made between three days or out technical incident & we've reversed it.

So nobody thought to call me to see if it was actually a duplicate deposit?

Well it came from the same bank account.

That would be the bank account of ***** ltd. ?

Yes.

My customer ***** ltd who owed me two payments of €1600.

Oh...

Yup. Today's the day of the press announcement saying everything's back to normal isn't it?

Yes.

And it's not, is it?

Not quite it would seem.

Listen, this is yet again another of ulster bank's screw ups, it's their problem, it better be fixed by Monday or I'm off to a competitor.

But all the hassle of running another account with someone else & the crossover of payments etc...

How many transactions are on the account since the screw up?

Seven.

So do you not think I've already set up with someone else? Your job now is to win me back, not keep me.

(or words to that effect)

Advertisement