Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank System Outage - Aftermath thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OU812 wrote: »
    Had my meeting & they asked me what I wanted to resolve it.

I have no idea what to ask for.

What did you say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Had my meeting & they asked me what I wanted to resolve it.

I have no idea what to ask for.

try €500 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Well here's the thing, I wasn't out of pocket, however I was severely inconvenienced by being out of the country on my own, with no access to any money & nobody to borrow off.

Well here's the thing, I wasn't out of pocket, however I was severely inconvenienced by being out of the country on my own, with no access to any money & nobody to borrow off.

Ask for €2000. When damages are to be paid for stress etc the figure is up in the air. Its a question of how much is it worth to them for it not to proceed further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Its a highly subjective figure and almost impossible to quantify.
    For someone who never has more than 2000euro in their account, then 500 might seem a very generous settlement. For someone who has 200000 and multiple accounts/dealings with UB then 500 might not cut it for the professionalism they expected.
    It's something that's highly subjective. I don't think anyone else can look at your figures or complaint details and tell you how inconvenienced or stressed you were in a monetary value. Yes you were 49.53euro inconvenienced etc.
    Just think of a figure that would make you feel that UB have addressed your upset.

• Advertisement

100gSoma wrote: »
    Its a highly subjective figure and almost impossible to quantify.
    For someone who never has more than 2000euro in their account, then 500 might seem a very generous settlement. For someone who has 200000 and multiple accounts/dealings with UB then 500 might not cut it for the professionalism they expected.
    It's something that's highly subjective. I don't think anyone else can look at your figures or complaint details and tell you how inconvenienced or stressed you were in a monetary value. Yes you were 49.53euro inconvenienced etc.
    Just think of a figure that would make you feel that UB have addressed your upset.

Go the call today. Took the first offer. It was adequate for my situation. case closed.

I think that's why they wanted a meeting though.

I can tell you though... it's highly stressful not having any money & not knowing anybody in a strange city/country.

I think that's why they wanted a meeting though.

I can tell you though... it's highly stressful not having any money & not knowing anybody in a strange city/country.

Probably they know most people don't have the time or don't want to take the time. Also face to face you would be less likely to get a good out come for yourself as they know most people don't like confrontation.

Had a follow up call from them today. They want me to name a figure. Realistically I could ask for 10k & they'll say no & we'll end up haggling to a figure somewhere in between. The thing is, I'm not in it for the money, I'm not out of pocket at all, but it was stressful & has taken considerably longer than I thought (with a lot of silence) to get to where we are here, so this is a one shot deal a far as I'm concerned.

Anyone any ideas of what a judgement from the ombudsman or pursuing legal channels would result in ? I suppose that's a bit of a "How Long is a piece of string question...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You would be waiting for at least a year to 18 months for a decision from the FSO.

Best to try and agree a figure now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Holy jaysus what are they up to know - there are a load of duplicate transactions there again.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Sent a complaint letter end of august, no response then sent a follow up on Monday. Still no contact.
    Except just noticed tonight that there are 2 unexplained credits showing online with description "Ulster Bank" and code "EBP" both for the same amount .....curious.

mobpd wrote: »
    Sent a complaint letter end of august, no response then sent a follow up on Monday. Still no contact.
    Except just noticed tonight that there are 2 unexplained credits showing online with description "Ulster Bank" and code "EBP" both for the same amount .....curious.

(looks around)....shush for jaysus sake! They have paid yer incident twice!!!

Ironic or what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

gozunda wrote: »
    Holy jaysus what are they up to now - there are a load of duplicate transactions there again.....!

Likewise, they don't seem to have effected the balance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

€200 compensation on top of the €50(€25x2 account holders) good will thing they paid everybody.

She said "No problem" very quickly when I gave her the figure of €200. I should have asked for much more because she folded a little too easily for my liking. :(

^ this is what I'm afraid of

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I should have asked for much more because she folded a little too easily for my liking. :(

How much would you have been happy with? I think I could have easily got 1k given their opening offer (which I accepted) and my circumstances and experiences. It was more about principle for me than profiteering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

How much would you have been happy with? I think I could have easily got 1k given their opening offer (which I accepted) and my circumstances and experiences. It was more about principle for me than profiteering.

is it possible for you to reveal what you received 100gSoma?

00sully wrote: »
    is it possible for you to reveal what you received 100gSoma?

No. I think quoting agreed compensation publicly only serves to feed a sense of expectation among people who have not yet agreed a resolution with UB. The only reason I don't agree with doing that is because it's not a case of one size fits all.
    It's probably not right to disclose the amount of your settlement without divulging the complete details of your complaint, a copy of all correspondence with the bank and the ombudsman, the number (and value)of accounts held with UB, the impact of the glitch on your life/business/dependants/etc. I think this is all unique and relevant in each scenario and will play a part in compensation amount offered. although that's just my guess, :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Hmm it says "some better off customers"....I wonder what the definition of "better off" means? Savings of €20000 or more?

chasm wrote: »

Bunch of fracking miserly b*stards - why don't they just dig up the corpses of the dead and extract their fillings....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

I wasn't paid the 25 automatically as I didn't visit the branch. Rang to complain, they offered me the 25 and I accepted. Reason I accepted was because I wasn't that badly inconvenienced, just had to put transactions on my credit card until I was paid two weeks later but it would have annoyed me if I had got nothing.

Now that they've paid it, I'll continue to bank with them, no charges and good online banking being the attraction. One more strike and they are out though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm sorted. I got a call from the branch manager who ticked all the boxes in terms of fixing the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm happy with the compensation.

They made a major muck up of my account and they lost money in the course of it so indirect compensation is much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭robin3

just getting round to putting my letter of complaint together, Didn't get any compensation yet as I wasn't in the branch(purposely) although I haven't been in in over a year anyway.
    Two of my kids have accounts with them, has anyone complained on their kids behalf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

chasm wrote: »

You're entitled to something around €1,300 capital gains before you are liable for the tax.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cgt/cgt-faqs.html

Unless you are making capital gains through other endeavours most here have nothing to worry about.

Incidentally I only got around to e-mailing my complaint today.

I logged some of the incidents with a couple of screen shots of statements. Stress involved for my wife heading on holidays with €1,000 in cash in her back pocket. Stress in dealing with landlord. Other inconveniences too.

They paid €25 into our joint account even though we both visited the branch and have separate current accounts. I told them I was expecting more like €250 each (i.e. add a zero to the €25) and that a non-satisfactory outcome would result in an escalation to the financial ombudsman. I think it's fair to say it was strongly worded.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Have a print out too. Should I send that also? To my local branch manager or the central complaints office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Well i returned UB call and came to an agreed amount of compensation for all the hassle regarding f*cking up my switching direct debits since May.
    During the call she said that when she couldn't get hold of me via phone (i was away in UK) she went ahead and set up the direct debit switch as she assumed i still wanted to go ahead with it. I expressed my concern that i had upcoming DD due to be paid (they all go out between 20th and about the 6th) and she said if i got charged any fees they would reimburse me for those.

Received letters late last week from my old bank stating that the request had been received to transfer services to UB and one listing all my direct debits and informing me that the originators of the DDs on my a/c had been informed. So i thought no more about it until i checked both a/cs and there are now no DDs listed on AIB or UB. My credit card DD would have been due on the 20th but it's now occured to me that despite AIB saying the originators have been informed i don't think they would have notified my Credit card provider as it is Tesco, who are based in UK.

Tried phoning Tesco earlier but i was on hold for 15 mins and gave up(it was after 12, so i don't know if it just plays on loop but it kept saying that "a customer advisor wishes to talk to you" :o )
    I will give them a call in the morning and get it cleared up but i'm not very happy, it's just one thing after another and if it wasn't so much hassle i'd switch all the flipping DDs back to AIB and close the UB account altogether.
    UB will also be receiving a call to see where the rest of my DD are!

ALSO according to the lady in UB office, during the IT incident i appear to be the only person whose standing orders were not paid on the date that UB online statement claimed - i have credit union statements to back it up. They accepted that they were not paid on time though. . . in the end.

Advertisement