Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Hopefully) first build, advice needed please

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Monotype wrote: »
    If you don't like the idea of putting on the heatsink, you can always see how it goes with the regular one. You could probably sell the other one on as it's good quality.

A friend said he'd do it for me if I was stuck :)

I feel like a fool asking.. 230V only sticker on the pc, the cord they supplied (and socket adaptor I.bought) says 250V~ .... Is it ok to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You'll be getting around 230V from the wall. Should be fine.

Installed Win7 64-bit home premium, the 1tbb hdd isn't showing up in my computer (yet was shown during the installation), and when trying to install the driver for the wireless adaptor it says there's no wireless hardware found.. :confused:

For the 1TB drive:
    Start menu -> right-click on computer -> Manage -> Disk Management (left hand side of window)

It will ask you if you want to initialise etc.

You probably need drivers for the wireless. Either with a disk that came with the card, from their website or let windows update find it. The only thing about letting windows update finding it is that you need to be already connected to the internet, so you'd need to move the computer temporarily.
    Easiest thing to do is to get the wireless driver from their website.
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=243&model=TL-WN781ND#down

The drive was set as unallocated.
    /facepalm

I tried installing the drivers from the disc as per the paper manual provided, and from the download on their website, both say that "Wireless network adapter is not detected. Please insert the right TP-Link wireless card and click Yes etc...", I'm positive I'm choosing the right model.

There's no green light on at the back of the tower where it says "status" on the PCI card

Edit: :( Think the wireless card is faulty, opened up the tower and it wasn't connected to the PCI slot (might have been damaged in transit).. fixed it in and still nothing,. Reckon I'll have to get a new one or is there anything else I can try to see if it's working? It's not recognised (no wireless hardware found, drivers won't install from either the CD or website)

• Advertisement

See if anything is coming up on the device manager.
    Start menu -> right-click on computer -> Manage -> Device manager.

It should have a yellow triangle if it hasn't got the drivers.

Maybe also have a quick look through the UEFI/BIOS setup which you can access just as the computer boots up. It could be that that slot is disabled.

To be sure that it's not the slot, you could try a different slot, although it will mean messing around with the back plates.

Thanks again for your reply Mono :)

The first time I installed windows it showed 4 devices with (!) beside them. Thinking it was a dodgy install of windows I re-installed it, did the driver CD's as normal and now no devices show (!) beside them.

Tried accessing the BIOS but the layout confuses the hell out of me, it looks like its from a 3rd party (the ZZZ part I bought)

Edit: I can access the Internet via an Ethernet cable, so am not completely stuck for now

Had a bit of a snoop around, there is no graphics card/wireless card being recognised in the devices manager, does this point to a faulty motherboard? (Fvcking hope not :()

This is what I see:
    08212ad66ed1924fd6463aa.png

Does anyone have any help to offer before I send it back? :/

You could try updating the BIOS. Check the asrock website for the latest one.

F*CK!

I think I left the CPU installed on the motherboard when I returned (was 4am when I was disassembling the PC). Just realised now looking at the new motherboard they delivered...! :(

• Advertisement

Fit to f*cking cry!!

Anyone know what's the chances HWVS will believe my story? Surely one of the techs would have noticed it still installed? I tried ringing but just missed the 6pm deadline

Long live HWVS!

They had sent me out my CPU last Thursday but I didn't realise it until today ^_^

Advertisement