Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor temporary signage

Options
  • 28-08-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hope you might be able to help.

I'm looking to buy some temporary outdoor signage, similar to that of an election poster in terms of material but about half the area with a small piece of text and a directional arrow. In the Dublin area anyone know of any possible businesses or websites that do them and estimated cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i can do them for you

the material that you are talking about is called corri board, its a plastic fluted board

give me a shout with how many you need etc and can sort out for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Price will depend on how many you want. Ring around a few sign companies and ask them for a price on corri bord sign. I have used www.signsasap.ie in the past and found them good. There is also another company in Ballymun across from the NCT centre that are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Be careful where you put them.
    Signage requires planning permission.
    Flyposting on lamposts and the like is not allowed in Dublin and will be removed. You also risk a fine under the Litter Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Your more likely to avoid fines if you put them up on a Friday evening and take them down on a Sunday- hence why you always see more at the weekends

Also try instantprint, Tony is a top guy an cheap too!

Your more likely to avoid fines if you put them up on a Friday evening and take them down on a Sunday- hence why you always see more at the weekends

Also try instantprint, Tony is a top guy an cheap too!

That's a myth, Litter Wardens work weekends too.

• Advertisement

Well they must be the only civil servant that do! And I have never got a fine for having them up at weekends!!

Well they must be the only civil servant that do! And I have never got a fine for having them up at weekends!!
    Tell me where your illegal signage is and I'll have them pay you a personal visit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Try and work out if you are going to be doing another advertising campaign in the future and get two sided boards done, cheaper to get them done now, environmetally friendly too, and your local cuddly signmaker won't blow a gasket when you appear back looking for them to strip the boards to re-use them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

A lot of people avoid places that litter like this - so its a double edged sword.

^^

Agreed, I wouldn't give my business to anyone putting up illegal signage.

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to have a negative impact on my business nor any of my friends. Some people care more for the service an product then were the business advertises.

Doesn't seem to have a negative impact on my business nor any of my friends.

Friends? I'm assuming you are littering lamposts and the like. It is society you are having a negative impact on if that is what you are doing. Now I don't know that you are; but cable tying to lamposts is illegal, unsightly, causes litter in the environment when they blow off and basically says you are too lazy and tight as business to advertise properly.
    Some people care more for the service an product then were the business advertises.

Some people also judge a business by its ethics.

Think were goin off topic as op was looking for advice on cost and source, my point was they can have a good or bad effect on your business its like all advertising really, yes some won't like it and yes others won't care but how one operates is there own choice.

Think were goin off topic as op was looking for advice on cost and source, my point was they can have a good or bad effect on your business its like all advertising really, yes some won't like it and yes others won't care but how one operates is there own choice.

What does the law say?

You tell me? I'm not goin to spend any more time on this I have given advice that op asked and am not continuing to have further discussions with fools who want an argument

Since you asked...
    19.—(1) Where any structure or other land, door, gate, window, tree, pole or post is in or is visible from a public place, a person who is not the owner, occupier or person in charge thereof shall not—

(a) exhibit or cause to be exhibited thereon any article or advertisement, or

(b) carry out or cause to be carried out any defacement thereof by writing or other marks,

unless the person is authorised in advance to do so in writing by such owner, occupier or person in charge or by or under any enactment.

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just pointing out that the law says that these "temporary" advertisements are in fact illegal. Not everybody realises that.

Boards also has a very clear policy about advocating or encouraging illegal behaviour.

I also happen to believe that businesses who flout the law should be heavily penalised as those businesses who actually follow the law are put at a disadvantage.

Would you support taxi drivers speeding so that they can make more money?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

op have you worked out any idea on how many signs or sizes you need, if you say how many signs and sizes it will help people give you ideas on prices.

It is possible to apply to the local county council and try to get permission to put up signs for short period of time.

It is possible to apply to the local county council and try to get permission to put up signs for short period of time.

He mentioned Dublin so I assume he is in Dublin, if so don't waste your money applying for permission as it is highly unlikely you will get it for a regualr business. A charity or community event possibly. The OP could look into sponsoring a local event, or perhaps sponsor a litter cleanup of his local roadside verge or area and then be allowed to put up a directional sign.

He could also apply for a brown directional road sign if his business is somewhat tourist based.

Advertisement