Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antics in the Hospitality Industry

Options
  • 28-08-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Sorry about that guys. I apologise for wasting your time with such a long winded and frankly horrendously boring story.

I just read it back and in hindsight I realise I may of finished off any elderly people by publishing it.

I'll stick to being a lurker.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I stayed in a hotel once and I had a cup of tea in the bar.

It was nice, but I should have ordered a scone or a biscuit to go with it as that would have been even nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I stayed in a hotel once and I had a cup of tea in the bar.

It was nice, but I should have ordered a scone or a biscuit to go with it as that would have been even nicer.

Did you have milk with it? Sugar?

You've piqued my interest, dear chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Que?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Osborne wrote: »
    I work in the Hospitality Industry and I have come too accept that it is very rare that a day goes by without experiencing silly requests, outrageous complaints, scams and general stupid occurrences.

A few months ago I had to deal with a very strange event which I will share below but I would also like to hear others weird and wacky experiences whether you work in hotels or have come across anything as a guest.

The experience I went through a couple of months ago is as follows:

The Hotel in which I work caters for a lot of Hens and Stags. This particular Saturday afternoon a rather large and intoxicated Stags were checking in. When booking the Hotel they did not mention they were a Stag group and had asked for double rooms that consists of one double bed only. Upon hearing of their mistake they requested to change to twin rooms but unfortunately we informed them that we were fully booked and could not accommodate them. They decided to grin and bear it as they knew it was their own mistake.

About half an hour went by before we got a call from one of the Stags bedrooms. The guy on the phone demanded that a manager went to the room. I was the manager on duty so I ran up. I was greeted by the irate man at the door. He dragged me by the arm into the room to the television and told me to look behind it. this I did and I saw what I thought looked like a used condom.

The guest demanded that we find him another room and also wanted to be refunded too. As I thought his complaint was genuine I moved him to another room that was allocated to a guest that had not checked in yet. I would go back to the original room later to prepare it for the guest that had not checked in yet.

I took one of the housekeepers (she was the one that serviced this particular room that morning) with me so we could clean the room. She insisted that she had thoroughly cleaned the room earlier and did not accept that she would have missed something so disgusting. Having heard this, I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and investigate further. We checked the bin, under the bed and under furniture. We had no luck. At this point I thought the guest must have been genuine until I spotted something under the T.V.. It turned out to be milk. I checked the sachets of U.H.T. milk next to the kettle and discovered one was open. So cut a long story short, the condom was filled with milk and placed behind the T.V. as some kind of prank.

Obviously, I could not prove that this was one of the Stags. I informed him of the situation and told him I would not be refunding him as I had got him a new room and the offensive object was nothing more than a silly prank. To put it lightly he went ballistic. I am sure it was him so I stood my ground. He told me how he would blacken my name and write to the papers. I told him to go right ahead.

In the end he got all his pals to write comment cards personally complaining about me and also put a rather horrible review on Tripadvisor about me personally too but didn't mention his complaint at all. I call B.S.. The only reason I can think of him doing it is either to save some money by getting a refund or to get us to change his room so he would have separate beds for him and his buddy.

This is probably a really boring story to all of you but thought I'd share anyway. Let's hear yours....

but you didn't, did you? hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Red Hand wrote: »
    Did you have milk with it? Sugar?

You've piqued my interest, dear chap.

I asked for milk. I would have used it but it was UHT which I don't like. I was too embarrased to say anything, so I put it in my pocket.

When I returned to my room, I poured it into a condom & left it behind the TV.

Sometimes I wonder if it's still there or if the cleaners found it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I stayed in a hotel once and the couple in our room spent all night shagging and drinking. It was outrageous. I got no sleep at all, the noise out of us. Disgraceful carry on alltogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

The old UHT milk in the jonnie behind the telly trick.
    Cant believe you fell for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

My sister worked as a receptionist in the local small town hotel. The things that she had to deal with were a bit strange to say the least.

One guy, a travelling sales rep, offered her a job and gave her a video about it (twas some time ago) which showed a successful woman travelling all over the world on cruise ships accompanying businessmen visiting exotic locations. Nothing smutty in the video but the whole family watched it together and came to the conclusion it was a fooking scam for her to be a cruise hooker.

Another, a married man and also a travelling sales rep stayed manys a time alone at the hotel. He suddenly stopped staying at the hotel when he forgot to repack his giant dildo which the cleaners found at end the of the bed the next day.

Apart from all that it was just general hotel wrecking with bodily fluids and rude guests.

Advertisement