Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics 2012 Videos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

None of those videos will play.... :eek: Pity too, some of them look interesting.

EDIT: I didnt read the youtube message properly. I assumed it was the usual 'this has been blocked for viewing in your country', but turns out its just blocked on boards.ie.

Skip to 5:23 in this video

What is that she is wearing? Do all target shooters wear them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mike87 wrote: »
    None of those videos will play.... :eek: Pity too, some of them look interesting.
    EDIT: I didnt read the youtube message properly. I assumed it was the usual 'this has been blocked for viewing in your country', but turns out its just blocked on boards.ie.

Rats. It's not boards.ie btw, its any other website other than google.
    Just hit the "Watch in Youtube" button in the bottom right hand corner of the videos (this one):

218917.png
    What is that she is wearing? Do all target shooters wear them?
    The glasses you mean?
    They're just shooting glasses. They look a bit odd (odd enough that they used them as a prop in Mad Max :D ) because they're built so that when you're in position, the glass will hang vertically so you're looking directly through the lens with minimal distortion to the image.

Sparks wrote: »
    The glasses you mean?
    They're just shooting glasses. They look a bit odd (odd enough that they used them as a prop in Mad Max :D ) because they're built so that when you're in position, the glass will hang vertically so you're looking directly through the lens with minimal distortion to the image.

Maybe Im missing something here... but would it not just be easier to use a scope... after-all the lens over your eye is doing a similar job..?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Maybe Im missing something here... but would it not just be easier to use a scope... after-all the lens over your eye is doing a similar job..?? :confused:

No scopes allowed. Iron sights only. What the lens does is it lets you focus on the front sight naturally and provides the best image possible. It's not for magnification.

• Advertisement

but would it not just be easier to use a scope
    Yes. That's why we don't use them :D
    If you wanted easy, you'd have red-dot sights, wrap-around handgrips, 10-gram triggers and a few other things banned by the rules :D
    after-all the lens over your eye is doing a similar job..?
    Well, similar but not identical; a scope gives magnification and gathers more light to give a bright image; the shooting glasses only correct your vision to the 'normal' level. So treating nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism or whatever is okay, it just levels the playing field; but magnification would be cheating and you'd be disqualified for it.

There are some disciplines that allow it in ISSF - running target uses an x4 scope for example - and some ISSF-like disciplines like NSRA 50m shooting allow it too with things like Eagle Eye rearsight fittings (which give some magnification); but none of the events in the Olympic programme allow it at the moment.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    but magnification would be cheating and you'd be disqualified for it.

I don't think this is strictly true. By my reading, so long as it's attached to the shooter and not the rifle/pistol, it's legit.

Then again, you'd want to be pretty cheeky to describe them as "correcting lenses".

Well, the rule is:
    7.4.1.3.2 Correction glasses, and/or filters, may be worn by the shooter.

And I can't think of any way that calling a magnifying lens a "correction glass" wouldn't get you hauled up under this one:
    6.4.2 Shooters must use only equipment and apparel that complies with
    the ISSF Rules. Anything (guns, devices, equipment, accessories,
    etc.) which may give a shooter an unfair advantage over others
    and which is not mentioned in these Rules, or which is contrary to
    the spirit of the ISSF Rules and Regulations, is prohibited. The
    shooter is responsible for submitting all equipment and apparel for
    official inspection and approval to an ISSF-supervised Equipment
    Control prior to its use in ISSF competitions. Team leaders are
    equally responsible for ensuring that the shooters‟ equipment and
    apparel comply with the ISSF Rules and Regulations.

Advertisement