Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bin Laden kill mission on RTE

• 28-08-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭

Anyone just see it.
    Seems like they took a huge risk with the operation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Must be a repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

RTE are known for taking risks... no they're not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Must be a repeat.

He might get away this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

One of the Black Hawk helicopters crashed in the operation. The whole story and operation is pretty intriguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is Bin Laden getting a repeat fee for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

mike65 wrote: »
    Is Bin Laden getting a repeat fee for this?

When they kill the real one he will :-)

Well if the operation went wrong Obama was in it big time. I wonder were Packistan in on the whole operation. Seems hard to believe Obama and the US would take such a risk with an operation without the go ahead of Pakistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

A lot of similarities with the iran hostage rescue attempt and the blackhawk down incident but this time it worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Well that was some pile of lies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anyone just see it.
    Seems like they took a huge risk with the operation.
    Edit: Anyone just see it.

Seems like they took a huge risk with the operation camera crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

If you believe Osama Bin Laden was killed last year by the Navy Seals, you are extremely gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I never watched such garbage in my life. The thing about measuring Bin Laden by his shadow was just ridiculous. Also the bit thrown in about murdering three thousand innocent people and this by a country whose past leaders have murdered hundreds of thousands of innocent people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and everywhere else they could get away with it or should that not be mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

one of the seals has wrote a book about it

tis out next week

he may be in a bit of hot water over it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I never watched such garbage in my life. The thing about measuring Bin Laden by his shadow was just ridiculous. Also the bit thrown in about murdering three thousand innocent people and this by a country whose past leaders have murdered hundreds of thousands of innocent people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and everywhere else they could get away with it or should that not be mentioned.

They didn't measure him by his shadow. One of the the navy seal team lay down beside him to get an idea of height. Pretty cool operation and im glad they killed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Firefox11 wrote: »
    They didn't measure him by his shadow. One of the the navy seal team lay down beside him to get an idea of height. Pretty cool operation and im glad they killed him.

when they were sussing him out first they tried using his shadow to get his height

Forget about the politics for the moment.
    If Bin Laden wasnt killed in the operation it would have left the US open to being ridiculed if he turned up on TV the following week. Clearly Obama gained a huge amount politically through the operation being successful. However if it failed it could have sunk him. Would he have taken such a big risk without Pakistan being in on the operation.

Firefox11 wrote: »

Was Bin Laden not on kidney dialysis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Thelonious wrote: »
    If you believe Osama Bin Laden was killed last year by the Navy Seals, you are extremely gullible.
    Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Well that was some pile of lies!

I love how some people just KNOW stuff without any proof or backup other than what they've made up in their own heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think it's largely bull****.
    They talked how they ordered pizzas from lots of different companies the night of the mission so that news papers wouldn't get suspicious that something big was happening.
    This is the most powerful country in the world we're talking about here (China says Hi).

• Advertisement

Ya I read somewhere that Bin Laden's health wasnt meant to be great. Hard to know what defence he might have put up.

Ya I read somewhere that Bin Laden's health wasnt meant to be great. Hard to know what defence he might have put up.

He could've grabbed his wife and used her as a human shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

He could have challenged them to a dance-off

It is amazing the amount of people that were involved in the operation and the length of time in preparing for it. Some achievement that it wasnt leaked. The Black Hawks it appears were capable of avoiding radar detection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I have never seen such a preposterous, unchallenged, American glorifying pile of propaganda tosh in my life. There is a fine line between documentary and spoof, it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Seems hard to believe Obama and the US would take such a risk with an operation without the go ahead of Pakistan.
    That's why it was so risky in the first place.
    Pakistan has a fairly capable air force thanks to Foriegn Military Aid as well as an intricate Radar network.
    The Pakistani military initially thought the attack was Indian in origin,but by the time they had prepped F-16s for launch it was over,as well as being out of reach of most Indian helicopters.
    Just shows how little America trusts Pakistan.

Well it was clearly made to make Obama look good. It seems they were only 40 - 60% sure that Bin Laden was in the compound yet they went ahead with the mission. One of the peculiar aspects of the programme was the piece where the local boys playing cricket hit their balls into the compound and instead of giving the balls back they gave the kids money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I have never seen such a preposterous, unchallenged, American glorifying pile of propaganda tosh in my life. There is a fine line between documentary and spoof, it would seem.

What exactly was preposterous about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Those blackhawks keep going down don't they.

• Advertisement

Pakistan has a fairly capable air force thanks to Foriegn Military Aid as well as an intricate Radar network.
    The Pakistani military initially thought the attack was Indian in origin,but by the time they had prepped F-16s for launch it was over,as well as being out of reach of most Indian helicopters.

Yeh, Bruce Willis only survived because the enemy where such bungling fools and bad shots. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

A bit like the ****e they spout about the necessity to drop the nukes on Hiroshima,the Japs were finished well before that and the President was against a nuke but military command wanted to test it out.
    There is huge controversy about this but it's always hushed up a select fee in the military persuaded the droppi
    G of this device and the second one was to see the effects and prove a point that they had this device.

Seems hard to believe Obama and the US would take such a risk with an operation without the go ahead of Pakistan.

I get the feeling that Pakistan was either in on the operation or didnt take any action when they discovered what happened. I find the latter unlikely though as it could have triggered off a huge conflict.

Those blackhawks keep going down don't they.

Sluts.

Would he have taken such a big risk without Pakistan being in on the operation.
    Yes.
    With him dead,NATO,more particularly America can declare mission accomplished and go home.That's worth far more to them than frosty relations with Pakistan.
    After all,there's nothing Foriegn Aid can fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Happyman42 wrote: »

one of the few intelligent replies of this thread

• Advertisement

One thing you have to say is that the Navy Seals are some operators. They were taking a huge risk going through the compound taking out people as they saw them.

I get the feeling that Pakistan was either in on the operation or didnt take any action when they discovered what happened. I find the latter unlikely though as it could have triggered off a huge conflict.

Given the speed of the operation I doubt they knew to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

One thing you have to say is that the Navy Seals are some operators. They were taking a huge risk going through the compound taking out people as they saw them.

If your going to fap about Navy Seals all night long would you mind doing it in private?

They are indeed.
    Hats off to these lads and their dog Cairo.

Corkblowin wrote: »
    What exactly was preposterous about it?

The entire PR aspect of it from the get go. I didn't pay much attention to the fact that they got him at the time, but after seeing that rubbish and Obama's participation in it I am convinced that it was an excercise in propaganda.

They probably had intelligence that Bin Laden died in his wifes arms somewhere cozy, but that scnario didn't suit the warmongers. He had to die at their hands. So invent a fantastic story where the Americans get their man, and the 'war on terror is vindicated, safe in the knowledge that he isn't gonna turn up to embarass them.

^^ that's more believeable than the stage managed tosh we where presented with tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

I really want to believe it's true.

And the speech announcing the US had killed Osama gave me goosebumps.

You just felt it's of "MASSIVE" importance. We witnessed history.

I still find the whole military situation in the world intriguing, in the 21st Century and there's still friends and enemies.

Ya they are highly trained blokes. Yet one slip and it is all over. I guess after that operation they can all retire happy with a good story for the grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

Interesting programme... Not too sure about the truth in it all though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Prick! wrote: »
    I really want to believe it's true.

And the speech announcing the US had killed Osama gave me goosebumps.

You just felt it's of "MASSIVE" importance. We witnessed history.

I still find the whole military situation in the world intriguing, in the 21st Century and there's still friends and enemies.

And sooo many idiots floating around aswell.

There was also an attempt to justify Guantanamo Bay as the source of information that lead to the death of Bin Laden, sure we all know tis just a holiday camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

Corkblowin wrote: »
    I love how some people just KNOW stuff without any proof or backup other than what they've made up in their own heads!

Actually, I never said I know anything for certain. I just don't believe everything I'm told. Unlike yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

There was also an attempt to justify Guantanamo Bay as the source of information that lead to the death of Bin Laden, sure we all know tis just a holiday camp.

Hassan ghul spilled the beans it's said on who Osamas right hand man was, they got pakistani cia members to find him then. He was rarely seen to this is why they thought al kuwaiti was withh Osama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Everything is a conspiracy these days.

Why would they lose a helipcopter worth 60 million in an operation then though and all the work and prep that went into it. It seems they first got a break by tracking an associate's mobile call. Pretty amazing what Bin Laden's side was doing to avoid detection re using sim cards only once and only using internet cafes once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Shame I missed this :(
    Reckon it'll be on the rte player?

**edit**
    Its actually already up.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10045266

• Advertisement
Advertisement