Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bin Laden kill mission on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

There was also an attempt to justify Guantanamo Bay as the source of information that lead to the death of Bin Laden, sure we all know tis just a holiday camp.

But overseas sites like Guantanamo,were the source of information.
    So they did justify their use somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Why would they lose a helipcopter worth 60 million in an operation then though and all the work and prep that went into it. It seems they first got a break by tracking an associate's mobile call. Pretty amazing what Bin Laden's side was doing to avoid detection re using sim cards only once and only using internet cafes once.

Oily, Oily, Oily, Oil, Oil, Oil, 60 million is a drop in the ocean no pun intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Oily, Oily, Oily, Oil, Oil, Oil, 60 million is a drop in the ocean no pun intended.

Actually given the way it was the child of a clandestine or "Black" project, I'd say it wasnt the financial side of the loss they were worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Just read online there now that a few days after the killing Al Queda came out and vowed revenge for the killing. Thus unlikely that Bin Laden died in other circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Why would they lose a helipcopter worth 60 million in an operation then though

Because they were stupid?

They didn't reckon there would be a column of warm air rising from an enclosed courtyard.....a common and greatly feared situation for pilots, we where breathlessly told.......but they did remember to order in pizzas from 30 different shops.
    They used valuable time, we were breathlessly told to find out what height he was and to photograph the body....but the crucial thing was to take the body away for DNA testing? FFS! It's a wonder they didn't stop off for a snack box someplace.:rolleyes:

Just read online there now that a few days after the killing Al Queda came out and vowed revenge for the killing. Thus unlikely that Bin Laden died in other circumstances.

It is only propaganda, I take neither side, an awful lot of innocent people have died all over the world in the name of greed and war.

It didn't suit either side to have him die in comfort somewhere. The propaganda value was probably equal to both in terms of bolstering support for their causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Happyman42 wrote: »
    They probably had intelligence that Bin Laden died in his wifes arms somewhere cozy, but that scnario didn't suit the warmongers. He had to die at their hands. So invent a fantastic story where the Americans get their man, and the 'war on terror is vindicated, safe in the knowledge that he isn't gonna turn up to embarass them.

^^ that's more believeable than the stage managed tosh we where presented with tonight.

Is that you Jim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

One part I didn't get was the Yabks arrived crashed their helicopter and caused a racket for 7 minutes trying to get into the compound. What was Bin Laden doing for those 7 minutes? Surely his minders could have blown up the one stairs in the compound or at least been easy to shoot anyone coming up the stairs. Did any Americans die in that mission? It's went down do easy you would expect a better fight from the world's mist wanted man and his team. Surely they were trained and knew the compound better and had 7 minutes to prepare of the yanks arrival they would be able to hold them off for more than 20 minutes.

Also rumours floating about twitter that the bloke who popped Bin Laden died last week in battle. Not sure if they confirmed or anything.

• Advertisement

One part I didn't get was the Yabks arrived crashed their helicopter and caused a racket for 7 minutes trying to get into the compound. What was Bin Laden doing for those 7 minutes? Surely his minders could have blown up the one stairs in the compound or at least been easy to shoot anyone coming up the stairs. Did any Americans die in that mission? It's went down do easy you would expect a better fight from the world's mist wanted man and his team. Surely they were trained and knew the compound better and had 7 minutes to prepare of the yanks arrival they would be able to hold them off for more than 20 minutes.

Also rumours floating about twitter that the bloke who popped Bin Laden died last week in battle. Not sure if they confirmed or anything.

Did you not hear, they too expected Bin Laden to have a suicide belt, a booby trapped house etc, etc ....but Bin Laden just stood there!!!:eek: impassive. The subliminal message (to an American public corn fed on Die Hard and other glorious suprematist pulp) being that this was a fair cop...'I'm guilty, the good guys has caught up with filthy me'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm sure the US had intelligence telling them what time was best to launch the operation. They wouldn't give all the details, that could compromise future intelligence gathering efforts. Also wasn't it pretty close to a Pakistani military base? Wouldn't there be noise from that place from time to time anyway. Give a few minutes for them to realize what was happening, then they only had a few minutes to get their **** together and try to defend themselves and then you'd have to imagine they knew the floor plan and where he was likely to be. The way they handled the Somali Pirates, I would think they are very highly skilled and a lot more capable of getting in there and getting **** done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sappa wrote: »
    A bit like the ****e they spout about the necessity to drop the nukes on Hiroshima,the Japs were finished well before that and the President was against a nuke but military command wanted to test it out.

Choice #1: Do a mainland invasion of Japan and have a hundred thousand of your own men killed in the process because Japanese custom does not allow them to give up. Kill a few hundred thousand soldiers on the other side at the same time.

Choice #2: Drop 2 nukes and kill 250,000 total ending it in 2 strokes of the biggest sword you have and scaring the world into never fcuking with your sh1t in such a way again?

I know which choice I'd make.

RE: Osama not really being Killed on this mission.

If he had not really been taken/killed here he'd have made an appearance by now.

If he had been killed/taken earlier, someone in Al Qaeda would have said something by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Wompa1 wrote: »

I'm sure the US had intelligence telling them what time was best to launch the operation. They wouldn't give all the details, that could compromise future intelligence gathering efforts. Also wasn't it pretty close to a Pakistani military base? Wouldn't there be noise from that place from time to time anyway. Give a few minutes for them to realize what was happening, then they only had a few minutes to get their **** together and try to defend themselves and then you'd have to imagine they knew the floor plan and where he was likely to be. The way they handled the Somali Pirates, I would think they are very highly skilled and a lot more capable of getting in there and getting **** done

The guy tweeting said it was very rare for helicopters to be heard.... Maybe I am been a little suspicious I just can't imagine it went down as easy as the show told it. If a helicopter went down in your back yard you would hear it and if three people got peppered with machine gun fire you would hear it too especially if your job was to protect a man. It just didn't make sense that they would just walk in take him a leave, the biggest issue was their own incompetence in relation to the flight of the chopper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Good article here gives more background info
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Osama_bin_Laden#section_3

Choice #1: Do a mainland invasion of Japan and have a hundred thousand of your own men killed in the process because Japanese custom does not allow them to give up. Kill a few hundred thousand soldiers on the other side at the same time.

Choice #2: Drop 2 nukes and kill 250,000 total ending it in 2 strokes of the biggest sword you have and scaring the world into never fcuking with your sh1t in such a way again?

If he had not really been taken/killed here he'd have made an appearance by now.

If he had been killed/taken earlier, someone in Al Qaeda would have said something by now.

Jaysus thats a detached view from the humanity of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Pretty much sums up the purpose of the production of this programme and why some of the facts may have been exaggerated:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I thought it was a great show but I wonder how much is propeganda?

Jaysus thats a detached view from the humanity of it all.

I'm not saying I wouldn't feel bad if it had been my call to make, but having your own country men die on foreign soil because that country wouldn't say Uncle after starting the game is stupid when you can do it in a way that doesn't kill more of your own men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I'm not saying I wouldn't feel bad if it had been my call to make, but having your own country men die on foreign soil because that country wouldn't say Uncle after starting the game is stupid when you can do it in a way that doesn't kill more of your own men.

I tried to reason with someone just recently about how the atomic bomb was as reasonable as killing just as many people and causing just as much destruction with lots of smaller bombs or guns. They eventually came round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

While I pretty much support the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There were other options besides sending troops in. The existing naval blockade that America had already put in place was proving to be effective and resources for Japan, fuel in particular would quickly deplete as a result. Ground troops would potentially have been unnecessary because it would be simply be a matter of breaking their will and strength through their resources draining.

But even to consider the bombing themselves, the delay between the bombing was too short. It was an exercise in displaying their strength by dropping 2 nuclear bombs.

The killing of Bin Laden acts as a fantastic PR exercise for the White House. Megalomaniacs are in power across the world but the one evil bastard that everyone on the planet knows the face of was Bin Laden. There isn't any evidence that it wasn't the seal team that took him out and intelligence groups such as Stratfor did indicate that his body was being moved that night after the killing so it does seem that it was the seal team that took him out(although the conspiracy minded may prefer to follow alternate stance). The ocean burial was an idiotic move all round though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Corkfeen wrote: »
    While I pretty much support the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There were other options besides sending troops in. The existing naval blockade that America had already put in place was proving to be effective and resources for Japan, fuel in particular would quickly deplete as a result. Ground troops would potentially have been unnecessary because it would be simply be a matter of breaking their will and strength through their resources draining.

But even to consider the bombing themselves, the delay between the bombing was too short. It was an exercise in displaying their strength by dropping 2 nuclear bombs.

The killing of Bin Laden acts as a fantastic PR exercise for the White House. Megalomaniacs are in power across the world but the one evil bastard that everyone on the planet knows the face of was Bin Laden. There isn't any evidence that it wasn't the seal team that took him out and intelligence groups such as Stratfor did indicate that his body was being moved that night after the killing so it does seem that it was the seal team that took him out(although the conspiracy minded may prefer to follow alternate stance). The ocean burial was an idiotic move all round though...

How come? Excuse my ignorance.

Corkfeen wrote: »

The killing of Bin Laden acts as a fantastic PR exercise for the White House. Megalomaniacs are in power across the world but the one evil bastard that everyone on the planet knows the face of was Bin Laden. There isn't any evidence that it wasn't the seal team that took him out and intelligence groups such as Stratfor did indicate that his body was being moved that night after the killing so it does seem that it was the seal team that took him out. The ocean burial was an idiotic move all round though...

I agree the second bombing was overkill. But if you drop one bomb they might think you only have one...

I don't agree it would take away the Japanese Will. They were a warrior people extremely proud of their heritage, they would not give up a ground fight or because of a blockade without utter destruction.

I agree on all points relating to Bin Laden. Evidence should have been shown.

Jaysus Christ are you all really that cold?

Jaysus Christ are you all really that cold?

1 death is a tragedy, 100,000 is a statistic.

It's a choice someone had to make remember, they WERE at war. The simple choice is that you don't want your own people dying if they don't need to. So a fast hard strike was the best move at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Nulty wrote: »
    How come? Excuse my ignorance.

The conspiracy nuts adopt such events as proof of some elaborate scheme by US Government. :pac: Really, to spare me the annoyance of coming across such views online..... :P Plus thirty years down the line , it will be like people denying the moon landing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just finished watching this documentary. (Thanks for creating the thread op! :) )

Ehhhhh, just a bit skepital about the true events. Its the Americans after all. I can't help but feel some bullshit being told. Truths here and there, half truths & then blatant lies. Such as:

- The American government not informing the Pakistan government. Risking an international incident? I call BS. Pakistan gave clearance. You dont invade anothers airspace without at least something under the table disclosed. Be it even moments before the assualt.

- The intelligence of how they learned his location. You can't expect the Americans to 'show their hand' in how they truly get information. So I feel what was said was watered down or totally fabricated.

- The Black Hawk Down. Never heard of that until now. My guess would be it was shot down tho. I just wouldn't put it past the Americans to say they had a "lift" problem while in reality it was another force at play. But I, or no one else who isn't in the know, can be certain. So who knows about that one :)

- The whole "40% to 60%" deal. Not to mention announcing his death before DNA results. I call major BS on that. They knew he was there, because of intelligence.

But all in all. I enjoyed the documentary :) Worth a watch people!!

1 death is a tragedy, 100,000 is a statistic.

It's a choice someone had to make remember, they WERE at war. The simple choice is that you don't want your own people dying if they don't need to. So a fast hard strike was the best move at the time.

The murder of innocents is never ok regardless of the situation. I doubt you belonged to either side. Dont try to use shock value on me.

The murder of innocents is never ok regardless of the situation. I doubt you belonged to either side. Dont try to use shock value on me.

I'm not trying to use shock value.

Remember, the boots on the ground are innocent too, on both sides, it's high command that aren't but given they are nice and hidden you have to do something drastic to get their attention.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki, whether you want to believe it or not, saved 3 times as many lives as they killed, if not more. a Full scale invasion of Japan would be sentencing so many more people to death.

You can argue it's horrible to look at it like this all you want. But my arguement back is that it HAPPENED and to judge actions without looking at the consequences of any other action that could have been taken is weak.

I am neither Japanese nor American, but I can see the reasoning behind using Atomic Weapons. They saved American lives and demonstrated to the world that they are capable of destruction that had never before been seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ony thing I don't get is America is like Ancient Rome, if Bin Laden really was killed why didn't they hold a triumph and parade his corpse up and down the streets outside ground zero alowing people to hurl rotten fruit at it. It is all too hush hush for me the talk of his body being dropped into the ocean had to be bull****e.

Ony thing I don't get is America is like Ancient Rome, if Bin Laden really was killed why didn't they hold a triumph and parade his corpse up and down the streets outside ground zero alowing people to hurl rotten fruit at it. It is all too hush hush for me the talk of his body being dropped into the ocean had to be bull****e.

Because America are not like Ancient Rome. What you describe sounds more like Fallujah.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to use shock value.

Remember, the boots on the ground are innocent too, on both sides, it's high command that aren't but given they are nice and hidden you have to do something drastic to get their attention.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki, whether you want to believe it or not, saved 3 times as many lives as they killed, if not more. a Full scale invasion of Japan would be sentencing so many more people to death.

You can argue it's horrible to look at it like this all you want. But my arguement back is that it HAPPENED and to judge actions without looking at the consequences of any other action that could have been taken is weak.

I am neither Japanese nor American, but I can see the reasoning behind using Atomic Weapons. They saved American lives and demonstrated to the world that they are capable of destruction that had never before been seen.

You profess violence I would rather save good young men on both sides.

Because America are not like Ancient Rome. What you describe sounds more like Fallujah.

:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't profess violence at all. But they were already at war, you can't just call a truce that easily in international conflicts, it's not a shake hands and walk away situation.

People were gonna die no matter what option was chosen. So Military Commanders in the US decided, their boys weren't gonna be the ones to die. It may not be fair, but it happened. Just because I approve of the decision doesn't mean I approve of violence. In fact, what happened stopped more violence.

:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Remember they took a few Defense Contractors hostage, tortured them, hung them from bridges like trophies. I defy you to find America supporting behaviour like that. (The government, since that's what we are talking here, NOT individual soldiers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In the documentary they say, as given credit to other boards.ie members who said the same at the time, that they didnt want his final resting place to be a 'symbol' - for him to be a 'martyr'

But i know what you mean as well. The assualt, his death, confirmation it was him, buriel at sea & then official anouncement was pretty quick.

I don't profess violence at all. But they were already at war, you can't just call a truce that easily in international conflicts, it's not a shake hands and walk away situation.

People were gonna die no matter what option was chosen. So Military Commanders in the US decided, their boys weren't gonna be the ones to die. It may not be fair, but it happened. Just because I approve of the decision doesn't mean I approve of violence. In fact, what happened stopped more violence.

Come on now people were going to die that shows an total approval of strong armed tactics

Come on now people were going to die that shows an total approval of strong armed tactics

Your not even arguing my points, just arguing that I hold terrible views. I disagree. Can you give detail of how I approve? Or at least argue one of the questions at hand.

What SHOULD The US have done in the Pacific Theater 1945?

Remember they took a few Defense Contractors hostage, tortured them, hung them from bridges like trophies. I defy you to find America supporting behaviour like that. (The government, since that's what we are talking here, NOT individual soldiers)

This They seem to pop up now and then, who are They???:confused:

That is some serious fcuked up Sky/Fox News esque logic you are using there sir,I have no wish or need to battle with the brainwashed masses so I will leave you to your Conspiracy Theories.

This They seem to pop up now and then, who are They???:confused:

That is some serious fcuked up Sky/Fox News esque logic you are using there sir,I have no wish or need to battle with the brainwashed masses so I will leave you to your CS theories.

No, I don't watch Sky or Fox. I don't have any conspiracy theories either. I'm looking at plain facts. You compared Ancient Rome to The US, I simply stated Fallujah was more likely do do what you said Ancient Rome did. (That said, the people of Dublin did the same in 1916...) The US generally don't parade people to get beaten and have stuff thrown at them. (Lee Harvey Oswald excluded).

They were the Militant inhabitants of Fallujah who took hostage a number of Defense contractors a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they didnt want his final resting place to be a 'symbol' - for him to be a 'martyr
    well in fairness why would they care. and do they not realise that burying him at sea would be an even bigger symbol? his extremist friends will give him the name (the god of the sea) or something, remember according to his type he is all ready a martyr. to be honest the fact he was buried at sea makes me even more suspicious of the whole thing. it has been said that his authority was almost gone with in alkieda anyway.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The thing about measuring Bin Laden by his shadow was just ridiculous

I don't see any particular problem with that. If you know how big a Toyota Hi-Lux is, and you can compare its shadow with the length of the shadow of the bloke standing next to it, you can calculate pretty well if the guy is particularly tall.

I suspect there was more to the ID than just that, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I believe that the book is to be released tomorrow and he has written that bin Laden was already dying when the SEALS entered the room. Bin Laden was unarmed and lying on the floor twitching; there was a massive hole in his head and I believe he wants us to know that bin Laden shot himself. The members of the team then shot a few bullets into his chest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/no-easy-day-bin-laden-raid-book_n_1837947.html

Having said that, this is one guy's version, and he is selling it to the highest bidder. The rest of the team will be unlikely to go public (until they retire) so he owns this narrative unless someone publicly goes on record to refute these events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

The thing about measuring Bin Laden by his shadow was just ridiculous

I don't see any particular problem with that. If you know how big a Toyota Hi-Lux is, and you can compare its shadow with the length of the shadow of the bloke standing next to it, you can calculate pretty well if the guy is particularly tall.

I suspect there was more to the ID than just that, however.

Surely this would depend on where the sun is positioned in the sky at a particular time of year and particular time of the day ,,, no???

hawkelady wrote: »
    Surely this would depend on where the sun is positioned in the sky at a particular time of year and particular time of the day ,,, no???

Yes, it would...but when it's your satellites looking down you know the time of day and the exact location on earth so you know the exact position of the sun in the sky. Then you just need a formula to work out the height, which I'm sure the Americans have people smart enough to come up with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

one of the seals has wrote a book about it

tis out next week

he may be in a bit of hot water over it though

More like water being repeatedly dripped on his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

We cannot look back 70 years and judge them by the standards we hold today – you have to put yourself in their shoes. Look at the war in the Pacific up to that – tens of thousands of sailors and pilots killed before they even landed on a few islands, tens of thousands of more soldiers killed on the ground, and for what? A few rocks in the ocean with an airfield, and it took weeks to capture them. The Japanese had a culture of dying for the emperor – surrender was not an option.

The US must have feared thousands of American dead trying to fight their way onto Japan, plus dragging out the war another few years. So while it was undoubtedly a tragedy - I can understand why it was done.

Corkblowin wrote: »
    We cannot look back 70 years and judge them by the standards we hold today – you have to put yourself in their shoes. Look at the war in the Pacific up to that – tens of thousands of sailors and pilots killed before they even landed on a few islands, tens of thousands of more soldiers killed on the ground, and for what? A few rocks in the ocean with an airfield, and it took weeks to capture them. The Japanese had a culture of dying for the emperor – surrender was not an option.

The US must have feared thousands of American dead trying to fight their way onto Japan, plus dragging out the war another few years. So while it was undoubtedly a tragedy - I can understand why it was done.

Hey hey, don't you be understanding why they did anything, she'll consider you to be a terrible person :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Thelonious wrote: »
    Actually, I never said I know anything for certain. I just don't believe everything I'm told. Unlike yourself.

My point is I don’t know – and neither does anyone else posting on this forum (unless someone is a member of the Navy Seals – own up!) – but if I was asked to chose between an anonymous poster on a website or an official source where people are trying to catch them out – I’d lean towards the latter.
    They used valuable time, we were breathlessly told to find out what height he was and to photograph the body....but the crucial thing was to take the body away for DNA testing? FFS! It's a wonder they didn't stop off for a snack box someplace.:rolleyes:

That’s actually plausible to me - they had to verify as much as possible at the scene, they could be killed coming out, place could blow up, the helicopter could be shot down, or crash in the mountains because of mechanical failure, any number of possibilities.
    The entire PR aspect of it from the get go. I didn't pay much attention to the fact that they got him at the time, but after seeing that rubbish and Obama's participation in it I am convinced that it was an excercise in propaganda.

They probably had intelligence that Bin Laden died in his wifes arms somewhere cozy, but that scnario didn't suit the warmongers. He had to die at their hands. So invent a fantastic story where the Americans get their man, and the 'war on terror is vindicated, safe in the knowledge that he isn't gonna turn up to embarass them.

^^ that's more believeable than the stage managed tosh we where presented with tonight.

Of course its propoganda, they are hardly going to make themselves look anything but perfect and heroic, but if you look at it with that in mind then I don’t see what the problem is.

I agree that he hardly stood there to be shot execution style – more likely he committed suicide or died in a firefight - but it suits better to say he died hiding behind his wife. The only people who know are those who were in the room – and they’re not saying (so far!)

Pakistan would not have known beforehand, but they definitely knew during and after – but its more likely they were warned off by the US than simply did nothing. Again suited both sides - Americans look decisive and Pakistanis can rage about invasion of territory etc. As someone else said, foreign aid soothes a lot of problems!

Like I said – I haven’t a clue what actually happened but on the basis that a destroyed helicopter was found in a house in Pakistan, that nobody has denied the was captured and killed, and that it would make the US look very foolish if he turned up alive or his body dug out of a grave somewhere after dying peacefully, I’ll lean towards that they did kill him and have embellished the story a bit to make themselves look good.

‘History is written by the victors’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I never watched such garbage in my life. The thing about measuring Bin Laden by his shadow was just ridiculous. Also the bit thrown in about murdering three thousand innocent people and this by a country whose past leaders have murdered hundreds of thousands of innocent people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and everywhere else they could get away with it or should that not be mentioned.

Well it was a programme about the mission to kill Bin Laden, so why would they mention World War II sure that has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

If they got into his room and saw him alive would it have been an idea to try take him alive.... He just MIGHT have some information that could be useful with some water board persuasion.

"Bin Laden peered over the third floor ledge at the Americans advancing up the stairs:eek:, and then retreated into his room as a SEAL fired a shot at him, but missed:mad:.The SEALs quickly followed him into his room;).
    Inside the bedroom, two of bin Laden's wives stood in front of him:eek:, shielding him:rolleyes:. One of them, Amal Ahmed Abdul Fatah, screamed at the SEALs in Arabic and motioned as if she were about to charge:confused:. One of the SEALs shot her in the leg, then grabbed both women and shoved them aside. A second SEAL entered the room and shot bin Laden in the chest:o, and then in the head :cool:with his H&K 416 with Navy M855, 5.56 mm rounds.[80] The SEAL radioed, "For God and country—Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo:rolleyes:," and then, "Geronimo E.K.I.A." (enemy killed in action). Watching the operation in the White House Situation Room, President Obama said, "We got him.:pac:"[3][42]"

• Advertisement
Advertisement