Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bin Laden kill mission on RTE

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Firstly, the killing of Bin Laden was a very good call.
    No protracted showtrial, no 18 month discussion on a venue, no security headache in holding him, no Spandau prison scenario afterwards.
    I'd imagine this was the call before the mission, they wanted a body not a man.

Secondly, short of blasting him into space the sea burial made the most sense.

This will go down as one of the the US most successful missions.
    Conspiracy theorists will always try to root up something but there's scare pickings here.

P.S. The bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki was the greatest humanitarian act in memory. It gave the Japanese as get out clause which allowed them surrender. The lily hearted liberals wont admit it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

If they got into his room and saw him alive would it have been an idea to try take him alive.... He just MIGHT have some information that could be useful with some water board persuasion.

"Bin Laden peered over the third floor ledge at the Americans advancing up the stairs:eek:, and then retreated into his room as a SEAL fired a shot at him, but missed:mad:.The SEALs quickly followed him into his room;).
    Inside the bedroom, two of bin Laden's wives stood in front of him:eek:, shielding him:rolleyes:. One of them, Amal Ahmed Abdul Fatah, screamed at the SEALs in Arabic and motioned as if she were about to charge:confused:. One of the SEALs shot her in the leg, then grabbed both women and shoved them aside. A second SEAL entered the room and shot bin Laden in the chest:o, and then in the head :cool:with his H&K 416 with Navy M855, 5.56 mm rounds.[80] The SEAL radioed, "For God and country—Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo:rolleyes:," and then, "Geronimo E.K.I.A." (enemy killed in action). Watching the operation in the White House Situation Room, President Obama said, "We got him.:pac:"[3][42]"

Heckler and Koch will be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Good riddance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Admiral MacRaven and the blueprints, and the reconstruction of them looking at the blueprints....

Such vainglorious hokum was seldom so shamelessly broadcast since the fall of communism.

This was Top Gun without the love scenes, pure propaganda. A political assasination, no trial, no process, just incursion and murder in a sovereign state by a bunch of brain washed super testosteroned meat heads.

Super high tech bestest helicopter the world has ever seen, and the spas still crashed it.

I wonder how many other times they thought they had Bin Laden's lair before and charged in laying waste before realizing he wasn't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

In the documentary they say, as given credit to other boards.ie members who said the same at the time, that they didnt want his final resting place to be a 'symbol' - for him to be a 'martyr'

Yet Obama and his entire cabinet take part in this triumpalist, taunting, almost racist nonsense????
    You see one helicopter crash and another land in your compound and you wait around to come walking down the stairs to see who is calling?
    Jesus folks you are being fed a line. Not by some carried away production team, operating on a hunch and a desire for ratings, but a line from the very top.
    How much access do you think TV crews get to a serving president to talk so 'candidly' to a TV crew?
    I understand a former president doing it, like Jimmy Carter, but a serving president taking part in such blatant propaganda? The question is....why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Those blackhawks keep going down don't they.

Rancid play Dublin's Academy on 29th of November.

See ya there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Happyman42 wrote: »
    but a serving president taking part in such blatant propaganda? The question is....why.

Because he wants to be re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

donalg1 wrote: »
    Well it was a programme about the mission to kill Bin Laden, so why would they mention World War II sure that has nothing to do with it.

Because it mentioned the murder of innocent people on 9/11. I think in order to balance the debate they should have mentioned the past and present tactics of the US. As I have said already I am not taking sides, young men from both countrys have been sent to their death and for what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Corkblowin wrote: »
    Because he wants to be re-elected.

And unfortunately millions of gullible Americans who foolishly soak in all this propaganda will elect him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

enjoyed this last night, obama is a bit of a reckless bastard

• Advertisement

I don't profess violence at all. But they were already at war, you can't just call a truce that easily in international conflicts, it's not a shake hands and walk away situation.

People were gonna die no matter what option was chosen. So Military Commanders in the US decided, their boys weren't gonna be the ones to die. It may not be fair, but it happened. Just because I approve of the decision doesn't mean I approve of violence. In fact, what happened stopped more violence.

How has it stopped more violence. Are we are to believe what we are being told and that the killing of one man has made the world a safer place. If anything it has made things worse.

How has it stopped more violence. Are we are to believe what we are being told and that the killing of one man has made the world a safer place. If anything it has made things worse.

In what way? And why should we accept your answer over 'what we are being told'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Because it mentioned the murder of innocent people on 9/11. I think in order to balance the debate they should have mentioned the past and present tactics of the US. As I have said already I am not taking sides, young men from both countrys have been sent to their death and for what.

Wasnt Bin Laden the fella behind 9/11 I would imagine that is why they mentioned it. Would seem a bit silly talking about World War II in a documentary about Bin Laden.

Same way it would be a bit silly if there was a documentary about Hiroshima in which they mention how many people were killed as a result of america bombing the city that day, and then say oh and by the way Bin Laden killed thousands of people on 9/11.

And unfortunately millions of gullible Americans who foolishly soak in all this propaganda will elect him

and their alternative is Mitt 'I'm a regular sports loving guy - some of my best friends own sports teams' Romney.

I think many poor, elderly and sick Americans are better with Obama as president - but then I don't have a vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

Great show last night. I was hooked!

For me, the most insightful part was how they found yer man Al Kuwaidi (or whatever his name was). In the end, it was one phone call that gave him away. Prior to this though, the Americans had been running voice recognition and number matching on thousands of calls prior to that call. Scary stuff!

They say history is written by the victors but I believe most of what was portrayed last night. Of course the Americans didn't trust Pakistan with the information they had - sure the compound was only a half mile from Pakistan's military academy!!

Anyway, the US got their man. Interesting how Bin Laden was worth more dead than alive to them.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    In what way? And why should we accept your answer over 'what we are being told'?

You dont have to accept what I think but you can keep an open mind.

Wasnt Bin Laden the fella behind 9/11 I would imagine that is why they mentioned it. Would seem a bit silly talking about World War II in a documentary about Bin Laden.

Same way it would be a bit silly if there was a documentary about Hiroshima in which they mention how many people were killed as a result of america bombing the city that day, and then say oh and by the way Bin Laden killed thousands of people on 9/11.

Mass murder is silly is it?

You dont have to accept what I think but you can keep an open mind.

In what way has it 'made things worse'?

An open mind is one thing, statements like this are another thing entirely.

In what way has it 'made things worse'?

An open mind is one thing, statements like this are another thing entirely.

Because it feeds extremism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Did anyone read the link I put up a few pages back. It was a good read and gave some new insights like how Packistan's F16 fighter jets were provided by the US and had to be under constant US supervision. Thus a defensive strike by Pakistan was limited and would possibly have been known by the US. It seems the US didnt trust Pakistan to be in on the operation and with good reason as Bin Laden had been living just a mile from a Pakistani military base. You dont allow anyone to build a compound without knowing who your neighbours are. It seems Bin Laden was being protected to some degree by the Pakistanis.
    I still find it hard to believe that the US would have gone ahead with the attack if the chances were only 50/50 that he was in the compound. Obama would have been taking a huge risk. They must have had solid evidence that he was in the compound.

Because it feeds extremism.

And there is evidence of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

one of the few intelligent replies of this thread
    I have. It was called the War On Terror. It got legislation passed in the two Houses it helped in the recruitment of thousands of ignorant inocent young Americans into the Army and disolved the good will which was being afforded to the States at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Didn't know AH was full of CT at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

One thing you have to say is that the Navy Seals are some operators. They were taking a huge risk going through the compound taking out people as they saw them.
    They'd be taking a bigger risk by letting them live.

If you liked the documentary check out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1591479/

• Advertisement

If you liked the documentary check out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1591479/

Extremism does not exist? Americans always the good guys.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Remember they took a few Defense Contractors hostage, tortured them, hung them from bridges like trophies. I defy you to find America supporting behaviour like that. (The government, since that's what we are talking here, NOT individual soldiers)

Those guys were mercenaries. And although I agree that was horrible way to treat a corpse, I have no sympathy for any mercenary who gets killed fighting for coin.

Extremism does not exist? Americans always the good guys.:p

Versus drug cartel? Yes, I don't think there is that much support for the cartels in the western world. Although the PC Brigade might disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Ony thing I don't get is America is like Ancient Rome, if Bin Laden really was killed why didn't they hold a triumph and parade his corpse up and down the streets outside ground zero alowing people to hurl rotten fruit at it. It is all too hush hush for me the talk of his body being dropped into the ocean had to be bull****e.

The US is compared to Rome not because of any similarities between the average Roman as compared to the average American behaviour (Romans a lot of the time were very unpleasant). It's compared because they are/were the dominant power of the time, roughly equal in size, a huge part of their resources were used in increasingly military folly etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

BL caused 9/11, fair enough. Why then did the us of a invade Iraq??
    The yanks aren't squeaky clean themselves you know!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2195075/Osama-Bin-Laden-unarmed-ALREADY-DEAD-Navy-SEALs-burst-bedroom.html

might be of interest this book written by a SEAL team 6 member who was there

Mass murder is silly is it?

Seriously? Where did I say that?

I said talking about World War II in a documentary about Osama Bin Laden would be silly. Or talking about Osama Bin Laden in a documentary about World War II would also be silly.

So stop putting words in my mouth and read my posts properly.

Seriously? Where did I say that?

I said talking about World War II in a documentary about Osama Bin Laden would be silly. Or talking about Osama Bin Laden in a documentary about World War II would also be silly.

So stop putting words in my mouth and read my posts properly.

Arent they both occasions in history where thousands of people were slaughtered almost at an instant, what makes 9/11 more relevant than Hiroshima?

Arent they both occasions in history where thousands of people were slaughtered almost at an instant, what makes 9/11 more relevant than Hiroshima?

9/11 is more relevant because it was a documentary about Osama Bin Laden, would have thought that was quite clear.

You're not comparing like with like - in 1945 they were in the middle of an actual world war - and had been for 4 years at that stage (while the rest of the world had been for 6). It was sovereign nations fighting large scale battles on land, sea and air. You said before that the US used strong arm tactics - well yeah! Same strong arm tactics that the allied forces used to remove Hitler.

You cannot compare a terrorist attack on a civilian target in peacetime to the bombing of port cities in world war 2. What makes 9/11 more relevant is that it was the catalyst that set off invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and culminated in the subject of last night programme - Hiroshima is as relevant to the current discussion as the battle of Troy.

9/11 is more relevant because it was a documentary about Osama Bin Laden, would have thought that was quite clear.

Ha ha smarty pants,well if they want to garner sympathy from the masses they certainly need to atone for their own atrocities first dont ya think.

You cannot compare a terrorist attack on a civilian target to the bombing of port cities in world war 2.

I expect the Hiroshima civilians were pretty terrified. "Terrorism" is a subjective term. Legitimate targets are also subjective.
    Hiroshima is as relevant to the current discussion as the battle of Troy.

Not really, if the discussion is about America shoving international protocol aside and doing whatever the hell it wants. They break their own laws with great regularity while posing as paragons of virtue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Osama Bin Laden was unarmed and ALREADY DEAD when Navy SEALs burst into bedroom': Shocking claim by retired soldier that threatens to debunk official story of raid

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2195075/Osama-Bin-Laden-unarmed-ALREADY-DEAD-Navy-SEALs-burst-bedroom.html#ixzz24w437l7B

telecaster wrote: »
    I expect the Hiroshima civilians were pretty terrified. "Terrorism" is a subjective term. Legitimate targets are also subjective.

Not really, if the discussion is about America shoving international protocol aside and doing whatever the hell it wants. They break their own laws with great regularity while posing as paragons of virtue.

Absolutely they were terrified - so why did their government not surrender before the whole event? Why were there civilian bombings of London, Berlin, Tokyo etc too? Americas only saving grace was its distance from Japan and Germany, otherwise it would have had its cities bombed too. There aren't a hell of a lot of international protocols when the whole world is at war. All sides were wrong to do it.

The point I and a few others are trying to make is that last nights programme was not a debate - it was a piece that was made to emphasize that they had killed the worlds number one terrorist and make themselves look good. You can't keep going back into history dragging up atrocities and saying that because your ancestors did X, you are not getting any credit for doing Y.

What was the alternative to going in and getting him? Ask the Pakistani police to knock on his door and arrest him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

one of the seals has wrote a book about it

tis out next week

I heard those seals were well trained.But writing a book?,and smuggling it out of the Zoo.
    Well holy god,that beats all.

• Advertisement

Osama Bin Laden was unarmed and ALREADY DEAD when Navy SEALs burst into bedroom': Shocking claim by retired soldier that threatens to debunk official story of raid

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2195075/Osama-Bin-Laden-unarmed-ALREADY-DEAD-Navy-SEALs-burst-bedroom.html#ixzz24w437l7B

As Mark Owen fired the rounds in to Bin Laden's corpse did he say "Take That"?

Ha ha smarty pants,well if they want to garner sympathy from the masses they certainly need to atone for their own atrocities first dont ya think.

Are you saying that in order for anyone to feel any sympathy for those killed on 9/11 America must first atone for something that was carried out by a different generation of people 56 years previously?

And by saying you feel sympathy for those killed in 1945 in Hiroshima are you also saying that the Japanese have atoned for those killed in Pearl Harbour in 1941.

Did the coward top himself rather than be taken prisoner?

Or maybe one of his long suffering wives did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

Did the coward top himself rather than be taken prisoner?

Most likely what happened.

What was the alternative to going in and getting him? Ask the Pakistani police to knock on his door and arrest him?

Capture, and put on trial. It's called law.

telecaster wrote: »
    Capture, and put on trial. It's called law.

But now you're believing that they did execute him - its more likely he was either dead already or died in a gunfight.

I don't know what happened, and neither do you, but its very easy to second guess those who have to make these decisions from behind our keyboards after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I prefered "Independence day" tbh............. the story was more believable.

Are you saying that in order for anyone to feel any sympathy for those killed on 9/11 America must first atone for something that was carried out by a different generation of people 56 years previously?

And by saying you feel sympathy for those killed in 1945 in Hiroshima are you also saying that the Japanese have atoned for those killed in Pearl Harbour in 1941.

Pearl harbour was a naval base and I think roughly about 2400 people died in the attack very few civilians, compare that to the death toll in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and tell me that their actions were justifiable.

Pearl harbour was a naval base and I think roughly about 2400 people died in the attack very few civilians, compare that to the death toll in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and tell me that their actions were justifiable.

Are you even reading the responses to your posts? :confused:

No-one said it was justified, but that it was understandable considering the circumstances that prevailed at that time, and there is no comparison to what led to Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the situation leading up to 9/11.

Or are you just having fun trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bin Laden has been dead for ****ing years.

Also, Al Qeada doesn't ****ing exist.

Advertisement