Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athenry - what to do midweek

Options
  • 28-08-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey.

Im looking for some advice on what to do in Athenry?
    Will be staying midweek.

Any advice on things to do, places to eat, pubs etc?
    Nothing too fancy just heading over for a few cheap nights away :D

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Athenry Castle is a small castle and worth a visit. It's a quiet town but nice pubs and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I must one day pay a visit to that town, i always loves that town song "The Field of Athenry"... Probably the best song I ever know, would be criminal if I never visted that town before my time is up... That song will be my funeral song.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Flunch wrote: »
    Hey.

Im looking for some advice on what to do in Athenry?
    Will be staying midweek.

Any advice on things to do, places to eat, pubs etc?
    Nothing too fancy just heading over for a few cheap nights away :D

Thanks guys :)
    Kasturi Indian restaurant is fab. Can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I must one day pay a visit to that town, i always loves that town song "The Field of Athenry"... Probably the best song I ever know, would be criminal if I never visted that town before my time is up... That song will be my funeral song.

Trust me you're not missing much!!

OP, the New Park Hotel is nice for dinner, you can eat in the bar or the restaurant, the Raheen Woods Hotel is a bit more 'upmarket' (ie more expensive) but they have a nice bar for drinks, don't think I'd eat there again. The Indian on the high st is decent. Honestly other than that I wouldn't bother, there was a lovely coffee shop but it's closed down, the local newsagents just closed down and the local run supermarket just closed down, so it ain't exactly booming! There is a nice place for lunch sort of coffee shop/cafe, The Old Barracks I think it's called, the only other coffee shop is in the Joyce's carpark, Mocha Beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Trust me you're not missing much!!

OP, the New Park Hotel is nice for dinner, you can eat in the bar or the restaurant, the Raheen Woods Hotel is a bit more 'upmarket' (ie more expensive) but they have a nice bar for drinks, don't think I'd eat there again. The Indian on the high st is decent. Honestly other than that I wouldn't bother, there was a lovely coffee shop but it's closed down, the local newsagents just closed down and the local run supermarket just closed down, so it ain't exactly booming! There is a nice place for lunch sort of coffee shop/cafe, The Old Barracks I think it's called, the only other coffee shop is in the Joyce's carpark, Mocha Beans.

Which coffee shop, newsagents and supermarket are recently closed?

• Advertisement

dantbyhid wrote: »
    Which coffee shop, newsagents and supermarket are recently closed?

Poppy Seed coffee shop, the newsagents on the bend of the road next to the 'gift shop' and the supermarket next to the arch (don't know what they're called)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 FredsMom

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Poppy Seed coffee shop, the newsagents on the bend of the road next to the 'gift shop' and the supermarket next to the arch (don't know what they're called)

Has Poppy Seed Cafe not been gone for ages!? There is a lovely new coffee shop called the Town cafe where arabica was and I have to say it is gorgous...I love it! The supermarket on the corner is Duffy's..can't say I noticed it closed down...the same for the newsagents..they were both still open the last time I saw them! But either way...there's centra a two min walk from duffy's and the shopping basket a few doors up from the newsagenst on the corner! theres loads of lovely little shops in Athenry. Myself and my husband shop local for everything! I would hardly say theres nothing in it if you don't need to leave the town for anything you need!

Anyway..back to the OP question...the town cafe is high on my list, as are the barracks pantry. Both these places have a lunch/cafe atmosphere altho the barracks does do an a la carte menu with a bring your own wine option (from iggys off licence across the road). The indian is good as people mentioned..altho if your eating in it does look a bit shabby. I personally like la rustica..esp if you eat in and get a seat upstairs. it has a nice varied menu but mostly italian. The chinese is good as well. Probably the bet I have eaten in and I lived in galway city for ages and tried them all.

If I was heading out on a night out I would probably head to the hop inn or the fields.

How long are you looking to visit for? Will you be staying in Athenry and heading in to Galway?

FredsMom wrote: »
    Has Poppy Seed Cafe not been gone for ages!? There is a lovely new coffee shop called the Town cafe where arabica was and I have to say it is gorgous...I love it! The supermarket on the corner is Duffy's..can't say I noticed it closed down...the same for the newsagents..they were both still open the last time I saw them! But either way...there's centra a two min walk from duffy's and the shopping basket a few doors up from the newsagenst on the corner! theres loads of lovely little shops in Athenry. Myself and my husband shop local for everything! I would hardly say theres nothing in it if you don't need to leave the town for anything you need!

Anyway..back to the OP question...the town cafe is high on my list, as are the barracks pantry. Both these places have a lunch/cafe atmosphere altho the barracks does do an a la carte menu with a bring your own wine option (from iggys off licence across the road). The indian is good as people mentioned..altho if your eating in it does look a bit shabby. I personally like la rustica..esp if you eat in and get a seat upstairs. it has a nice varied menu but mostly italian. The chinese is good as well. Probably the bet I have eaten in and I lived in galway city for ages and tried them all.

If I was heading out on a night out I would probably head to the hop inn or the fields.

How long are you looking to visit for? Will you be staying in Athenry and heading in to Galway?

Poppy Seed hasn't been gone that long, a couple of months at the most I think. Duffys (that's it!) closed down about 2 weeks ago, don't know when the newsagents closed I only noticed it last week when I was in Athenry. I didn't know there was a new coffee shop where Arabica was (opposite the barracks pantry right?), delighted to hear that was getting a bit fed up with Mocha for my weekly coffee with me pal (just the one pal..!), you know I never tried La Rustica I'm always put off when I walk past by people smoking in the outside area, didn't know there was an upstairs but I will give that try one of the days now, can I get a glass of wine in there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Just back today thanks for all the suggestions. Athenry is a lovely town, its quiet but we didnt run out of things to do :) Hop inn is a great spot I have to say! Ate in LaRustica aswell cajun chicken pasta.. amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 heinze

you should give La rustica a try trancypoo, lovely food and upstairs is really nice for a bottle of wine and steak pizzaola (My fav!). Mourad is glad to change any dish to suit your taste too. extra chillis usually for me! :pac:

glad you enjoyed Athenry Flunch, hope you visit the hop again soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement