Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental prices, 2 bed, South Co Dublin

Options
  • 29-08-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We are a family with one child looking to rent two bed room accommodation in south co Dublin - preferably
    Blackrock/Stillorgan/clonskeagh/Dundrum/Churchtown - within the next year when our current arrangement will end.

I have been looking at daft and myhome to get an idea of asking prices and I am simply amazed that they are so high - generally 1200-1300 a month. Most of the places listed have two bathrooms and I suspect the landlords are anticipating two single profs paying 600 or so each which seems feasible. However, surely a large number of people renting such accommodation must be in the same situation as us - families with children. My wife will be on unpaid maternity leave for most of the next year so we can't afford to pay that much. Also, when the cost of property has dropped so much and interest rates are so low, the cost of a mortgage on such a property could be only 800 or so a month. (We will be leaving the country within a couple of years so are reluctant to buy).

I wonder whether the rents published on the above websites are realistic or if there is some (very substantial) room for discussion. I would be very grateful to hear about your experiences or views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

contieri wrote: »
    We are a family with one child looking to rent two bed room accommodation in south co Dublin - preferably
    Blackrock/Stillorgan/clonskeagh/Dundrum/Churchtown - within the next year when our current arrangement will end.

I have been looking at daft and myhome to get an idea of asking prices and I am simply amazed that they are so high - generally 1200-1300 a month. Most of the places listed have two bathrooms and I suspect the landlords are anticipating two single profs paying 600 or so each which seems feasible. However, surely a large number of people renting such accommodation must be in the same situation as us - families with children. My wife will be on unpaid maternity leave for most of the next year so we can't afford to pay that much. Also, when the cost of property has dropped so much and interest rates are so low, the cost of a mortgage on such a property could be only 800 or so a month. (We will be leaving the country within a couple of years so are reluctant to buy).

I wonder whether the rents published on the above websites are realistic or if there is some (very substantial) room for discussion. I would be very grateful to hear about your experiences or views.

You have selected areas which generally have higher property values and therefore rents. People generally like living in these areas and as demand is high so will cost of renting.

You will need to move further out in order to achieve 800 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

kkelliher wrote: »
    You have selected areas which generally have higher property values and therefore rents. People generally like living in these areas and as demand is high so will cost of renting.

You will need to move further out in order to achieve 800 a month.

I agree. We were looking in the same area a couple of months ago and rents would not dip below €1000, you could be able to find something decent for €1050-€1100 though as landlords/agents we were talking to would typically accept a €50-€100 discount on the advertised price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also, when the cost of property has dropped so much and interest rates are so low, the cost of a mortgage on such a property could be only 800 or so a month.

That's buying at today's prices. Bear in mind the owners of the majority of the owners of the properties you are looking at would have bought in the boom where property prices were twice what they are now or more. It is not realistic to expect today's rents to reflect mortgage repayments if the property were bought today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You're going to have to strike a balance between location and price and see which is more important.

Your wife is going to be on maternity leave so she will need to feel comfortable in the area you choose. There's no point in getting a two bed at €850 if it's either miles from any amenities (parks, shops etc) or it's in a slightly rougher estate, or miles away from family and friends. The areas you mentioned are good vibrant areas, with plenty to do and good transport links but the rental prices reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Don't forget due to the current housing market, rental demand is quite high. We live in a 2 bed/bath in rathfarnham and pay €1,050 per month which i think is about the market rate. So in those areas i expect you'll pay €1,100-1,200 you won't get it any cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

A little late in posting, maybe you have settled in a place at this stage.

Unfortunately it seems to be an agents/landlords market at the moment with 2 beds anywhere near the luas lines in south Dublin....Dundrum, Stillorgan, Sandyford, Milltown particularly.

My girlfriend and myself have been looking the last 2 months.....put offers of 1200 in for a few places but haven't got anything yet. We are competing against just so many people.

I'm afraid the glut of empty housing estates and apartments from the boom are all located miles out in the suburbs and not along the luas line where we would like them :(

Advertisement