Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3, bought in USA

Options
  • 29-08-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,

total numpty here when it comes to games consoles - what I would like to know is whether a PS3 bought in the USA is usable in Ireland? I presume there is some protection on games but are there any playback incompatibilities? 1080p is the same over there, right? How reliable are they these days - I assume a US warranty would not be recognised in Ireland? Also, PS3 uses a DC power supply - are 220V supplies readily available in Ireland?

thanks in advance
    M

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hello,

total numpty here when it comes to games consoles - what I would like to know is whether a PS3 bought in the USA is usable in Ireland? I presume there is some protection on games but are there any playback incompatibilities?

There is no "protection" on games(one game - name escapes me is region locked).
    1080p is the same over there, right? How reliable are they these days - I assume a US warranty would not be recognised in Ireland? Also, PS3 uses a DC power supply - are 220V supplies readily available in Ireland?

thanks in advance
    M

A US warranty wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on over here.
    They are fairly reliable, but like all electronics, you takes your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Persona 4 Arena will be region locked, you would need to buy American DLC if you are using American games.

Bluray movies will be locked to region A or All region, Irish ones are Region B.

You can set up an Irish PSN account and buy Irish PS3 games if you like.

Dvds will be region locked, Only NTSC or Region Free ones will work.

Irish joypads and other such items should work.

Also if you get an Irish PS3 power supply it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The power supply is universal and the cable is a non-proprietary one, you might have one at home that you could replace the PS3 ones with or you could use a simple plug adapter on the US plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Persona 4 Arena will be region locked, you would need to buy American DLC if you are using American games.

Thanks very much for the replies.

What is Persona 4 Arena and what is American DLC ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What is Persona 4 Arena and what is American DLC ?

Persona 4 Arena is a fighting game spin-off of the superb Japanese RPG Persona 4. It's been region locked (the first time a PS3 game has been) because it had an almost simultaneous release in Japan and the US, and the Japanese publisher Atlus didn't want Japanese gamers importing the considerably cheaper and dual-language US version. Release date in Europe is frustratingly still TBC.

American DLC is downloadable content. Basically, if you a buy a US game, you'll have to buy extra content from the US digital Playstation store, which requires either a US credit card, US voucher or if you're really lucky an Irish credit card that works with the US store. Similarly, if you buy Irish games you'll need to buy extra stuff from the EU store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Only Issue i ever had was when i imported Rockband and then purchased DLC on the EU store it would not work with the US game. Other than getting an adaptor for the power everything else should work away fine. Some blu rays are locked too but again not sure which ones.

Advertisement