Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Principals and Deputy Principals at Second Level

• 29-08-2012 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭

Query re Ps and DPs of second level schools that teach: are there any?

I assumed that no principals in second level school teach but I was told by a friend that plenty do. Do they? How much? How common is it?

I also thought that deputy principals only had teaching hours in smaller schools. Is this so?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you will find most teach some bit, mainly to keep the hand in. Remember you are actually the Principal Teacher in the school....
    Nice break from the office too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I wouldn't say that most teach, I have never come across it in any school I have been in for any period (maybe 10-15 schools total)
    I have heard of some teaching alright but again I would say smaller schools.

As far as I know the number for the DP is below 500 they must teach but possibly less than 10 hours only.

Again easier in smaller schools bigger schools obviously workload grows with the number of students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

true but I must say I like doing the spot of teaching, then no one can say I am out of touch with whats happening in the classroom.
    Needless to say I have the dregs of the school discipline system....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

In my dip school, of about 430 students, the principal took one maths class group. In my last school, of 800+ students, the deputy took one maths class group also. My current school also has 800+ and neither the principal or deputy do any teaching. I do recall when I was in school having the deputy for Business Studies at some stage during my JC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Common enough in schools with <200 students. Have come across plenty of teaching principals in such schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Principals and DPs have taught in both schools I've taught in full time (and the DP had at least one class group in the school I did TP in). All were relatively small schools though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

We are over 500 and both teach even though they are ex quota.

It comes down to a choice really in many cases. Teach and take some pressure off the timetable or cut a subject / merge classes.

It is interesting to read memoV7 which outlines teaching hours for principals and deputies in vocational schools.

6 hours for a principal from memory but 6 would be a bit much in practice given the changing nature of the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

Thanks for your answers. I was wrong so, saying that Principals don't teach. I haven't come across it myself.

Can I ask a different but related question then - do Ps and DPs ever supervise classes or do yard duty, for example when where there is a shortage of S&S cover?

My P and DP don't teach, supervise or do yard duty. They're above all us plebs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I've never been in a school where the Principal or Deputy have taught but the smallest school I've been in had 700 students. The last school I was in they were both part of the S&S rota and took their turn same as the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

In my current school (800+) both the principal and deputy are around the main body of the school during break and lunch. One of them is always outside the front for the beginning and end of lunch to supervise senior students returning from 'down town'. In fact they often charge off down the road and stand at the pedestrian crossing. They are also both continually present on the corridors between each and every class. I have to say they really are incredibly supportive and the discipline within this school is the best I've seen so far (although I've only taught in two others). So although they're not on the actual S&S rota, they're always present. It's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Both the deputy principal and principal teach in my school..they both take about 10 periods per week. They are also both part of the S&S scheme like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

The principal in my school teachers HL math in 6th year, generally a small class of about 5.. The DP teaches both 5th and 6th year English.

Advertisement