Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house

Options
  • 29-08-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I'm moving to a new rented accomodation and want to know what I need to do about electricity. Will electric Ireland just send a bil or what do I need to do?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Keatso87

If it is shared accommodation, there may be someone living there already in whose name the electricity is.

If you are to be the electricity account-holder though, you would be required to set up an account with Electric Ireland in your name and by supplying an up-to-date meter reading and the meter point reference number (MPRN) for the address. Here is the info for customers moving to a new premises and setting up an account. And there are discounts available for Electric Ireland account-holders. Electric Ireland also offers gas as well as electricity.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Hi,

I have just after moving into a new apartment. I'm just wondering what is the best way to get the account into my name (I think there is no name on it at the moment as we got a letter addressed to the occupant) is it to do it via the website or over the phone?

I have the MPRN number and the meter reading, do i neeed the account number as well?

if i pay the 300 euro deposit (because i don't particularly want to pay direct debit, what with collecting money from other students) when is it returned or is it used as credit on the account. Should this depost really be something the landlord usually pays? Can I get it back after the nine months that I'll be living here for the college year.

Hi Hibbeler,

There is no account number yet - it will be given to you when the account is created. The MPRN and meter reading and address are all you need - it would be required that you give our customer service team a call (available 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday) to set up the account (it is one of the few things we cannot do for customers here on Boards.ie).

A security deposit is credited back to an account after 14 months (six/seven cleared bills) if the account remains open. Whether it is paid by you and your flatmates or the landlord would be decided amongst yourselves.

If possible, it would be great if you could advise the landlord to contact the previous tenant to change the details on their Electric Ireland account.

All the best,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Hi Una,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am just wondering now about the letter the house has received, that I mentioned in my last post. Basically it says that there was no customer registered at this address for the last 6 weeks and that if we don't register a customer within 7 days then electric ireland will assume that the electricity supply is no longer required and the house will be "de-energised without further notice". Things are complicated slightly by the fact that the landlord is away for 2 weeks. Will we be de-energised as the letter suggests or can I stall untill the landlord gets back? Or is the best thing to do just to register as a customer?

Thanks

Hi again Hibbeler,

This is standard protocol once a vacant (or apparently vacant) premises is flagged to our colleagues ESB Networks. In light of the short time-frame indicated on the letter, it is advisable that an account be set up for the address asap.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement