Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurricane Isaac

• 29-08-2012 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭

We are getting a lot of hyped up stories on the media about this.

Just tuned into the BBC and apparently the winds are currently "up to 80mph".

We had a storm earlier this year in Ireland, and in Malin Head we had an hour where the average speed was 95mph, with gusts of 105mph.

I wonder did that make American news?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

This Isaac will be wicked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Seems like a windy situation alri
    Seen it on the news was just BLOWN away by what I seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

If you fart in donegal there'll be a storm in america

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Eh?:confused:

Looking at the link it shows news reports in America?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

We had a storm earlier this year in Ireland, and in Malin Head we had an hour where the average speed was 95mph, with gusts of 105mph.

No it probably didn't make the US news, the reason this storm is in the news is that it is going to strike New Orleans 7 years after Hurricane Katrina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm looking forward to the day a hurricane comes around that's called Cane. Hurricane Cane. That would be ridiculously silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

bout time a hurricane was named after a man .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was in America when it hit and yes it was in the news over here. No need to thank me. Of course this storm is a lot more dangerous since it went through Haiti where people are still living in tents and it's going to be the first test of New Orleans repaired levees.

Keep in mind the god awful dole that only pays 188 euro doesn't apply in New Orleans which a poor area of the US. Many do not have the means to just laugh off a storm which could destroy whatever little livelihoods they have.

To appease you by the lack of acknowledgement of Ireland in the story perhaps I could remind you of the time the Sunday Worlds pullout featured an interview with George Clooney who says he enjoys visiting Ireland, planned on driving his motorbike around and thinks the Irish women are very nice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I remember that day well, the wind nearly knocked my drink over in the local beer garden. In my circle of friends its refereed to as "the day some wind nearly knocked a pint onto the ground, but didn't" (we're not great at thinking up names).

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I was in America when it hit and yes it was in the news over here. No need to thank me. Of course this storm is a lot more dangerous since it went through Haiti where people are still living in tents and it's going to be the first test of New Orleans repaired levees.

Keep in mind the god awful dole that only pays 188 euro doesn't apply in New Orleans which a poor area of the US. Many do not have the means to just laugh off a storm which could destroy whatever little livelihoods they have.

To appease you by the lack of acknowledgement of Ireland in the story perhaps I could remind you of the time the Sunday Worlds pullout featured an interview with George Clooney who says he enjoys visiting Ireland, planned on driving his motorbike around and thinks the Irish women are very...nice...
    wait...he calling Irish wimim ugly???

No it probably didn't make the US news, the reason this storm is in the news is that it is going to strike New Orleans 7 years after Hurricane Katrina

It did make the news here. It wasn't covered around the clock or even featured in the main headlines but it did get a mention.

I was in Australia during a bad storm in Ireland that didn't make the news there. Those damn Anti-Irish Aussie Bastards!! How dare they not report that Ireland was a bit wetter and windier than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Senna wrote: »
    I remember that day well, the wind nearly knocked my drink over in the local beer garden. In my circle of friends its refereed to as "the day some wind nearly knocked a pint onto the ground, but didn't" (we're not great at thinking up names).

The wind that shakes the beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looking at the link it shows news reports in America?

Aye, I know, but again I say "Eh?"

Of course Isaac is making news in the US, but read my post again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Irish storms are nothing compared to the ones in America. Hurricanes, tornadoes etc.

When I was in Florida I was amazed by the lightning every night.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Irish storms are nothing compared to the ones in America. Hurricanes, tornadoes etc.

I was there for some storms too. The lightning scared the **** out of me. Very violent and loud compared to what I had experienced before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Face it, the news channels are hyping it up big style cos thats what they do.
    Gotta fill those 24hrs somehow.

Earlier tonight the Beeb had a report from a guy who was standing with his waterproof coat hood up and pulled in tight to his face, saying things were getting rough. It wasn't raining and the trees behind him were hardly moving.

Poofs!

Aye, I know, but again I say "Eh?"

Of course Isaac is making news in the US, but read my post again.

I... I thought it said "this" and not "that" (I thought you asked if Iassac made news today). I'll shush now :o

Though I think the storm we had the other month did make wind as a passing in america.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Eh hurricane Andrew?
    Hurricane David? Hurricane gilbert? Hurricane mitch was bad too
    And what bout Ireland's hurricane charley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

In Florida right now. Nothing too serious, but we're on the arse end of it. Goes from sun, to torrential rain in no time.

Never seen thunder storms like it before though. Absolutely amazing to watch the fork lightning

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Eh hurricane Andrew?

Don't they alternate!?

mauzo wrote: »
    In Florida right now. Nothing too serious, but we're on the arse end of it. Goes from sun, to torrential rain in no time.

Never seen thunder storms like it before though. Absolutely amazing to watch the fork lightning

Yes gorgeous and all that.
    Did they say your electricy will be hit or anything?
    Or will the area you're in be fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Average wind speed & sustained wind speed are two completely different things,95mph is cat 2 hurricane winds,if Malin Head got cat2 wind speeds im sure we'd of heard

Yes gorgeous and all that.
    Did they say your electricy will be hit or anything?
    Or will the area you're in be fine?

Our area should be fine. Haines city. The weather took out the lights in Target earlier, for about 5 seconds. Just a wall of rain. Thunder and bad winds on and off. Bringing all the insects and lizards out :)

Our area should be fine. Haines city. The weather took out the lights in Target earlier, for about 5 seconds. Just a wall of rain. Thunder and bad winds on and off. Bringing all the insects and lizards out :)

Ah, okay.
    No, not worried in the slighest. :pac:

So long as all is grand for your side then

Don't they alternate!?

Yeah, male then female and it alternates each year which will be the A as well. :)

As for this storm, the extreme low pressure means that the water in the sea gets to a higher level. Combine that with winds blowing water towards the land and storm surgers become a huge issue. Add the 10-20 inches of rain expected in some areas and it's fairly obvious why this not-that-strong storm is more newsworthy than a bit of a windstorm here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

IvySlayer wrote: »

Storms coming in off the Gulf coast and the very warm waters is also slightly different to the freezing storms. It's the warmth of the Gulf waters and the potential to develop monsters from it that always hypes these storms, even this comparatively weak one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Here, have a pity thanks.

J. Marston wrote: »

Here, have a pity thanks.
    Thanks dude its been a bad week for bad puns
    Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

tbh they put every storm in the news - I don't see why it has to be top news here tho. No other country makes it to the top news here if they have a gust or two of wind with a downpour.

Our own meteorologists can't even tell us what our own forecast is anyway, most of the time.

Eh hurricane Andrew?
    you actually googled male named hurricanes??

dude, to much time on your hands.

LOL

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

It looks like we are getting the other end of it.

Louisiana is in a bad way at the moment.

Flooding, thousands evacuated, and the reporter is about to blow off the beach as we speak :P

One poor guy just lost his home, he already lost it to katrina.
    Peoples houses are completely covered with water, all you can see is chimneys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Do you live 12 feet below sea level ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

How many people live in Malin Head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Exactly. Millions of people live on the Gulf Coast, hence the danger to their lives and property making world wide news when ever there is a big weather event there. What is there at Malin Head but for a few sheep?

This hurricane turned out to be not so bad. But that is what people thought about Katrina. It lost its intensity as it passed over Florida, and was downgraded to a Cat 1 hurricane, which isn't really all that serious in the grand scheme of things unless you live in low lying area, or in a city (like New Orleans) that is 12 ft below sea level. But Katrina picked up an unexpected amount of steam and power as it passed over the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, and we all know what happened next.

I used to live in that part of the world. Only an idiot is blase about how badly Mother Nature can fcuk you up if she has mind too. People here really have no idea. Our weather here is very tame in comparison. Even if Mallin Head gets wind gusts of 105mph, that is just a gust of wind, meaning it is here and gone very shortly. Gusts are intermittent. They are not sustained. That is the key word. Sustained. What makes US hurricanes so impactfull is that their wind speeds are sustained wind speeds that are occurring for hours & hours at a time, non stop. Then the eye of the storm hits, you get a bit of calm, but then then the back wall (which is usually even stronger) hits with yet more endless hours of sustained killer wind speeds. That $hit just doesn't happen here.

Granted, the news crews can indeed look a bit silly if the storms turn out not to be so serious after all. But the other side of the coin is that if they don't pimp the dangers of the storm, when The Big One comes, people will not take adequate safety precautions and lives will be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

7 years to the day of Hurricane Katrina :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement