Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has the anti-Glazer protests at OT died away?

• 29-08-2012 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭

Watching the game v Fulham the other day, I noticed a severe lack of green and yellow scarves, whereas there were thousands of them over the last few years.

Has the protest lost its momentum?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watching the game v Fulham the other day, I noticed a severe lack of green and yellow scarves, whereas there were thousands of them over the last few years.

Well you answered your own question really. It's been dead for ages bar the guys still trying to sell them at their stalls. It was never going to work anyway but the Glazers are still total c**ts if that's what you're trying to ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I wouldn't say protests have died away at all, in fact i think a portion of the Fulham fans were even wearing green and gold scarves at the match.

Maybe visible the protests have died down in the sense that not as many people are wearing the colours anymore but behind the scenes I know MUST are still as active as ever, possibly even more so ever since this IPO disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I hear there's a full scale rebellion underway. Get ready for the red scare Glazers, !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They bought us some shiny new toys in Kagawa and RVP, we're sound for a while now.

Hurray for Malcolm \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Norwich will bring reinforcements later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Maybe it has got stronger rather than weaker.

i.e the guys with the yellow scarves are staying away cos they now realize it's not much of a protest against the Glazers if you are handing them £50 - £100 each match day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

They need to act as strongly as Liverpool fans did against H&G. Its a disgrace how United are being treated and nothing is being done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Personally, I cant believe a few thousand people turning up to games, spending money on food and merchandise, supporting the team, in green and gold scarves, didnt make the Glazers abandon ship straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its been dead since 2009. i lost all interest the day MUST sent an email to 40,000 people b*tching like children about the club one day after drawing with Blackburn saying the league was over despite chelsea having to go to WHL and Liverpool where 2 draws would see United go ahead again.

the whole thing was very cringe to be honest, as many of the players said, the team comes first, acting like clowns when the team needs support is not good for the team and it did effect the teams performances that year IMO.

the real thing however is that it became a fashion accessory and the majority of the clowns who had the scarves didnt have a clue what the campaign was about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They will be back after a poor run of results.

• Advertisement

They will be back after a poor run of results.

sadly, this sums it up. people will ignore the fact that we have spent an obscene amount of money in the last 15 months compared to any period in our history and blame the glazers.

right now, if we enter a bad run of results, the only person that can be blame is the manager for not addressing a key flaw in our team despite having adequate funds to do so.

we will have a bad run of results this year no doubt and MUST will rare their heads again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Melion wrote: »
    They need to act as strongly as Liverpool fans did against H&G. Its a disgrace how United are being treated and nothing is being done about it.

i addressed why h&g at liverpool and glaziers at man utd are not comparable at all, since i wrote that you can add making money available to ferguson, something like £100m net last two summers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76690630&postcount=1349

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I wouldn't say protests have died away at all, in fact i think a portion of the Fulham fans were even wearing green and gold scarves at the match.

Maybe visible the protests have died down in the sense that not as many people are wearing the colours anymore but behind the scenes I know MUST are still as active as ever, possibly even more so ever since this IPO disaster.

Disaster?

Looking at the figures, it seemed mighty successfull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Leiva wrote: »
    You do realise that there is a common denominator in all these derailments across numerous threads right ??
    Yea,people accusing him of being a re-reg :D

Melion has a reputation here I think it's fair to say.
    He's been a lot more tolerable of late in fairness to him.
    I've no problem with it at all,without posters like him,yourself,niallo,mr alan,amiable,sgt pepper etc.
    I don't think I'd bother with this soccer forum at all to be honest.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Seems like every thread descends into re-reg bollox these days.
    Unless you know for certain who it is and that they had been banned previously,what difference does it make if someone is back under a different name if they had closed their account of their own accord??

sadly however, the majority of these accusations are true. take the united thread for example, one person probably has reregged about 6 times in the past year and has on all occasions taken over the thread. after 2 or 3 weeks, it becomes very clear that this person is the same one and his intent only is to troll and derail the thread.

there are one or 2 other people who do it also. there are some sad people out there who just get kicks out of pissing off people they dont even know, so what are people supposed to do, ignore it?

people closing their accounts is for various reasons, alot of them are genuine, however some of them are done because of attention seeking and a sense of importance.

when people start willy waving around the place, they are obviously going to get more abuse than somebody who debates their opinions without resorting to insulting people. most new people take time to bed in and respect the place, however when somebody new comes in and straight away starts trolling or causing trouble, attention is going to turn on them.

and as i said, most times people are right and that person ends up being banned within a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

United are an institution and to see them being raped by Americans who are looking to make as much money as possible is a disgrace, just like it was for Liverpool.

Are Liverpool not still owned by American business men? Ones who don't look like their exactly throwing money at the club either?

They may be a lot more supportive than h&g in terms of managers, but their outlay in terms of funds doesn't look to be too different, at the comparative early stages anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

For fück sake how many threads is this guy going to be allowed derail ??

must be coming on double figures

Back on topic ..

Have the Glazers won over the fans ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Are Liverpool not still owned by American business men? Ones who don't look like their exactly throwing money at the club either?

They may be a lot more supportive than h&g in terms of managers, but their outlay in terms of funds doesn't look to be too different, at the comparative early stages anyway

Pumped £50m into the club last year, not to shabby.

Third and fourth - not working for me because I have 40 posts per page so they are only linking to the last page of that thread.

Must.Try.Harder
    If I can't see them they don't exist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm sure that if united fail to win a trophy again this season, the fans will take their anger out on the glazers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Pumped £50m into the club last year, not to shabby.

Neither the Glazers nor FSG have pumped a penny into either club, as far as I know.

FSG is allowing LFC to spend the money it earns. This sum has increased thanks to FSG's purchase of LFC which has almost eliminated the interest bill H&G were incurring.

Glazers on the other hand do take a lot of money out of MUFC under various different guises. But MUFC earns huge revenues, so there's still plenty left over for transfers and wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Neither the Glazers nor FSG have pumped a penny into either club, as far as I know.

FSG is allowing LFC to spend the money it earns. This sum has increased thanks to FSG's purchase of LFC which has almost eliminated the interest bill H&G were incurring.

Glazers on the other hand do take a lot of money out of MUFC under various different guises. But MUFC earns huge revenues, so there's still plenty left over for transfers and wages.

Liverpool made a loss of £50m last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi,

Lets try get back on topic please folks.

The original question is :

Unless you're contributing to the topic on hand you'll pick up cards.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe it has got stronger rather than weaker.

i.e the guys with the yellow scarves are staying away cos they now realize it's not much of a protest against the Glazers if you are handing them £50 - £100 each match day

Thsi could possibly be true, but the thing is, these guys staying away have simply been replaced by others handing over the same money, as OT is still a sell-out.

So has it hurt the Glazers in any way???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There was never any momentum, anyone that had the right mentality went to FC United, the reason why the Glazer thing failed is because the few thousand that went to FC United will be replaced by a few thousand more daytrippers from Ireland and beyond!

The green and gold thing died on it's arse a short time after it started, the mentality wasn't there, wearing a scarf will do feck all especially when you've just paid for a ticket, bought aload of merchandise and well are funding Glazer even more!

IMG_1853.jpg

At least the Glazers used the idea to milk some tools...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

There was never any momentum, anyone that had the right mentality went to FC United, the reason why the Glazer thing failed is because the few thousand that went to FC United will be replaced by a few thousand more daytrippers from Ireland and beyond!

The green and gold thing died on it's arse a short time after it started, the mentality wasn't there, wearing a scarf will do feck all especially when you've just paid for a ticket, bought aload of merchandise and well are funding Glazer even more!

IMG_1853.jpg

At least the Glazers used the idea to milk some tools...

Misleading, as in keeping with your general posting style & agenda.

Please explain the highlighted part, keeping in mind that G&G merchandise was never on sale in the Megastore? It's a protest scarf from the stall that is popped into a bag, unless of course, you have some sort of proof that the Glazers were mass producing the scarves. The real question you should be asking is why the guy spent money in the Megastore AND purchased a protest scarf, which you may say defeats the purpose.

G&G has lost momentum. The stewards confiscate anti-Glazer banners, etc. Not many G&G scarves are on show these days, and there is a lot less anti-Glazer chants.

It was a decent idea to visibly show opposition rather than staying silent about the whole thing (which some people seem to prefer?), but it was never going to get them out. It would take something a lot more drastic than that.

Is there anything being done at United like Spirit Of Shankly did at Liverpool?

I'm sure someone is printing off a leaflet as we speak.....

I'm sure someone is printing off a leaflet as we speak.....

Simple question, if you dont know then just say so.

• Advertisement

Simple question, if you dont know then just say so.
    What exactly was it they did??
    Genuine question as I don't know much about them only they wrote letters and stuff.

What exactly was it they did??
    Genuine question as I don't know much about them only they wrote letters and stuff.

They are the main reason that H&G were ousted from the club.

They are the main reason that H&G were ousted from the club.
    Was it not Broughton and Purslow that got rid of them???
    What part did they play??

Rooney10 wrote: »
    The real question you should be asking is why the guy spent money in the Megastore AND purchased a protest scarf, which you may say defeats the purpose.

That's what I was getting at tbh!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Was it not Broughton and Purslow that got rid of them???
    What part did they play??

John Henry
    "You guys need to know that without the action and hard work of the Spirit of Shankly, Tom (Werner) and I would not have bought the Club".

Dub13 wrote: »
    John Henry
    "You guys need to know that without the action and hard work of the Spirit of Shankly, Tom (Werner) and I would not have bought the Club".
    Yea but what did they do?
    I've just done a bit of searching there and tbh they have got their fair share of bad press....mostly from Liverpool fans about the way they go about their business.
    Pretty unsavoury behaviour at their end of season party too.

Also that quote doesn't seem to be anywhere else but the wiki page for SoS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

There was never any momentum, anyone that had the right mentality went to FC United, .....
    Cant agree with this,anyone thats knows anything about history of clubs would be against setting up a new club.
    In my mind they are traitors(many other ways they could have protested)

Cant agree with this,anyone thats knows anything about history of clubs would be against setting up a new club.
    In my mind they are traitors(many other ways they could have protested)

Well I would be against someone setting up a FC Shelbourne or whatever, but there's a reason they set up FC United, and it's much more than getting ride of history, whatever history Man Utd had is gone imo! It was washed away when they became a brand rather than a football club, and essentially when they rebranded as Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Well I would be against someone setting up a FC Shelbourne or whatever, but there's a reason they set up FC United, and it's much more than getting ride of history, whatever history Man Utd had is gone imo! It was washed away when they became a brand rather than a football club, and essentially when they rebranded as Man Utd.

But they earn that money? from being a brand and their success is paid for with money earned. Kinda weird when united as a bastion of whats right in football. Compared to some lad playing FM2012 for real.

Your not one of these Anti Modern Football people are you?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Your not one of these Anti Modern Football people are you?

Got me...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I disagree, if the glaziers changed the name to glaziers fc and sold all the players to take more money out of the club,i still wouldnt leave come what may. Some day the glaziers will leave. They could have put their efforts into creating the largest supporters group and put pressure on that way/come up with ideas to get rich enough fans involved to buy the club(like the red knights only better)etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement