Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone stopped a wedding? Has it ever worked?

• 29-08-2012 2:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

At all the weddings I've attended recently, the question about objections was omitted. So at most weddings nowadays, you will not even be given the opportunity to object.

If the priest does say "Speak now or forever hold your peace", has it ever worked if someone objected?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Please speak now or forever hold ur peace
    * bursts thru the door
    'U can't marry her she loves me not you'
    * bride turns round
    ' **** wrong weddin. My bad'

Think that was in a film
    Wayne's world I think be gas tho ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Very long story, but have a friend that hitched from UK to Germany to see his ex before she got married.

Showed up the night before her wedding.

She went wtf? He said I still love you. She said ok, lets go, lets elope. He hesitated and then mumbled something about how they could see how they felt. She said fcuk you, and he ended up sleeping in a tent in the garden that night, he was woken by her father very early saying "think you better be going now".

She got married.
    He regrets not getting down on one knee there and then.
    He's miserable in his current relationship and has two kids (who he adores)

Don't half-hearted if you gonna do it, gotta marry the girl/guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yeah Harvey did, at Sabrina and Aarons wedding. Harvey shows up on his motorcycle looking badass and he sweeps her off her feet and leaves Aaron at the altar. It was very emotional. I don't get why they didn't fly off on that hoover thing though, that woulda been cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yeah Harvey did, at Sabrina and Aarons wedding. Harvey shows up on his motorcycle looking badass and he sweeps her off her feet and leaves Aaron at the altar. It was very emotional. I don't get why they didn't fly off on that hoover thing though, that woulda been cool.

No Doubt literally made that scene, would have been sh!te without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sabrina always did well when it came to music. I remember the time when Smashing Pumpkins were playing in her house. It was delightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I've stopped seven weddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Henri Paul stopped a certain celebrity wedding.
    They weren't exactly on the altar though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah and look how well that turned out! Used poor old Harvey to get a few in the oven so then she and her lesbian lover Paula, could up sticks and leave!

Seriously, did you not see the same director's cut as me?

1ZRed wrote: »
    Yeah and look how well that turned out! Used poor old Harvey to get a few in the oven so then she and her lesbian lover Paula, could up sticks and leave!

Seriously, did you not see the same director's cut as me?

You've just ruined it all now haven't you. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Sabrina always did well when it came to music. I remember the time when Smashing Pumpkins were playing in her house. It was delightful.

Let's not forget the classic episode where the Violent Femmes serenaded horrible Libby...
    Ah, good times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Now I really wanna watch Sabrina :(
    *sings theme tune*
    I never liked Harvey. Always thought he had a stupid head on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

MadsL wrote: »
    You've just ruined it all now haven't you. :(

Fuck! I forgot the spoiler tags :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Sar_Bear wrote: »

Get. Out.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Make me :P
    My favourite boyfriend of hers was Josh from the coffee shop :D

Cleverly disguised Sabrina thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Not going to lie, the bizarre Sabrina diversion was a delightful surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I know someone on the day of his wedding he said to his father, this is not right I don't want to do this, his father said son if you are not certain, don't. Others put it down to pre-wedding jitters, in the end he did had two kids, the kids kept it all together, but they made each other miserable for about 15 years. Both are with different partners now with regrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Re Sabrina:-

From Wiki:-

.....Hart appeared in lingerie in a series of photographs and an accompanying article in the October 1999 issue of the men's magazine Maxim.[23...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

Cassaaaaaandraaaaaaaaa!!!

/bangs glass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sabrina went to shyte when she went to college.

No mr. Kraft, no sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

"Nicooooooole! Niccooooole!"

"BOB!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are ye on about Sabrina the Teenage Witch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Motorist wrote: »
    At all the weddings I've attended recently, the question about objections was omitted. So at most weddings nowadays, you will not even be given the opportunity to object.

If the priest does say "Speak now or forever hold your peace", has it ever worked if someone objected?

I've never heard it said. Wouldn't make a difference.

the_syco wrote: »

Of course, can you not read the thread title :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    Now I really wanna watch Sabrina :(
    *sings theme tune*

its on the popgirl channel in the afternoons, my 3 year old likes it! :D

no

<<

>>

<<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I haven't but I could :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Funnily enough it wasn't Sabrina who I had a crush on as a kid, but her sexy, geeky aunt Zelda (Beth Broderick).

Classic combination of MILF and slutty librarian.

Hilda on the other hand... not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

later12 wrote: »
    Funnily enough it wasn't Sabrina who I had a crush on as a kid, but her sexy, geeky aunt Zelda (Beth Broderick).

Classic combination of MILF and slutty librarian.

Hilda on the other hand... not so much.

Mr. Pool from Sabrina is now a fairly big director, he directed Bridesmaids!
    I like the show, I remember Coolio jumping out of a poster to give Sabrina directions and to get her to go to his concert, he seem like a really nice guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Her geeky mate looked like she could pull a few quare moves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Let's not forget the classic episode where the Violent Femmes serenaded horrible Libby...
    Ah, good times...

Now look here, you can fire away being all nostalgic about Sabrina, but I wont have a bad word said about Libby, she was a dom fox, especially in something figure hugging showing thigh

If geeky mate had some quare moves tucked away Id say Libby would leave you destroyed. Forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Yeah. It's been a really sh!tty distraction to a potentially really good thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Mr. Pool from Sabrina is now a fairly big director, he directed Bridesmaids!
    I knew he was destined for better things; but Mr Kraft was a much more fun character. Poole was too goofy.

I forgot about how hot Valerie was. Somehow the awkwardness and lack of social awareness made her even more doable. I'd say she'd suck a lemon through a length a wavin pipe :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I see Lindsay Sloane has gone up 233 places on IMDB this week. I presume that's you guys' doing, oui?
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005441/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've stopped loads of weddings.

Oh wait... not stopped. Ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

She went wtf? He said I still love you. She said ok, lets go, lets elope. He hesitated and then mumbled something about how they could see how they felt. She said fcuk you, and he ended up sleeping in a tent in the garden that night, he was woken by her father very early saying "think you better be going now".

She got married.

I'm going to assume the husband knew nothing of her decision to elope. I'd drop anyone doing that doubleplusquick.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

It was the outfits that aways got me in Sabrina. Apparently Melissa Joan Hart went through a rebellious phase and thus why in the later episodes she uses her magic less.

I have no life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Very long story, but have a friend that hitched from UK to Germany to see his ex before she got married.

Showed up the night before her wedding.

She got married.
    He regrets not getting down on one knee there and then.
    He's miserable in his current relationship and has two kids (who he adores)

Don't half-hearted if you gonna do it, gotta marry the girl/guy.

All due respect, but your mate sounds a right d**k. Who tries to stop their ex's wedding if they're not sure how they feel themselves? Probably ruined her day, and put a sour note on the marriage early - unless she said 'ok' just to call his bull.

Props to the dad walking out to the tent to tell yer man to shove off. I can imagine it as a very funny moment. Was the dad dressed in a tux? Was he German? Did he speak like Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds? Details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

geeky wrote: »
    All due respect, but your mate sounds a right d**k. Who tries to stop their ex's wedding if they're not sure how they feel themselves? Probably ruined her day, and put a sour note on the marriage early - unless she said 'ok' just to call his bull.

Props to the dad walking out to the tent to tell yer man to shove off. I can imagine it as a very funny moment. Was the dad dressed in a tux? Was he German? Did he speak like Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds? Details!

For god sake stay On Topic, this post has nothing to do with Sabrina The Teenage Witch
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

He said I still love you. She said ok, lets go, lets elope. He hesitated and then mumbled something about how they could see how they felt.

Lulz. Likes dramatic gestures, just not the serious sh i t that may go with it! :D

phasers wrote: »
    Sabrina went to shyte when she went to college.

No mr. Kraft, no sale.

True but at least Salem was still in it. :)

Her geeky mate looked like she could pull a few quare moves
    later12 wrote: »
    I forgot about how hot Valerie was. Somehow the awkwardness and lack of social awareness made her even more doable. I'd say she'd suck a lemon through a length a wavin pipe :eek:

Yeah, I never bought her being a geek, she had such a great bod. No way would horny teenage boys in her class not find her hot.

Quorum wrote: »
    Lulz. Likes dramatic gestures, just not the serious sh i t that may go with it! :D

Yeah, I hitched with him most of that trip and after. After was mostly him going "fück fück fück" Someone stole his only shoes in Amsterdam afterwards so that was probably instant Karma.

More cold and clear I would imagine, like this.

I blame Sabrina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Yeah, I hitched with him most of that trip and after. After was mostly him going "fück fück fück" Someone stole his only shoes in Amsterdam afterwards so that was probably instant Karma.

More cold and clear I would imagine, like this.

I blame Sabrina.

It actually sounds like the script to quite a decent comedy movie. Better than the hangover anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

They don't say that line in most Irish weddings because it's not part of the Catholic ligurgy thing. Couldn't tell you what the script is for a civil marriage here though. You only hear that on the telly.

I loved Libby, I really missed her when she left (and they kinda just disappeared her, she was suddenly gone). She was the ultimate arch villan. And had really great hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Wut? Which episode??

geeky wrote: »
    It actually sounds like the script to quite a decent comedy movie. Better than the hangover anyway.

You have no idea the funny sh1t that happened...

The precusor to that was managing to keel over backwards off a barstool in a coffee shop in Amsterdam and smack his head off the floor. He blacks out, the waitress tries to throw him out, he starts vomiting and nearly slides off the steps.

I spend 30 mins trying to figure out if he is concussed or stoned, whilst I'm really stoned. I eventually find a police station and explain that my friend is probably concussed and where is the nearest hospital. The cop asks "where did the accident happen" I (stupidly) reply "In a coffee shop" - the cop pulls out a tourist map and writes a ring on the map and an address. Go here he says. We do. It's a hostel not a hospital. And closed.

Hitching through rural Germany we find a field to sleep in. Being a bit cold the only wood we can find is wooden barriers around an excavation hole about six feet deep - we bust those up and light a fire. We go to sleep only to be woken by four Germans who fall on top us and they are totally pissed and find us hysterically funny. One of them is carrying a pumpkin and keeps showing it to us. They eventually leave, and we try to sleep. We hear them shouting in the distance. We wake up in the morning and make our way back to the road, past the excavation trench. There is a pumpkin in the bottom of it. As we are talking about Smashing Pumpkins

We also hitched with a guy with a Mercedes, we complement the car saying we love these vintage Mercs. He coldly says, it is brand new. Awkward silence prevails for the rest of the hitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Would they still use the word "consanguinity"?

At all of the weddings that I went to, I don't think that anyone in the congregation knew what that meant, probably due to the inbreeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I was groomsman at a wedding in the mid 90's and had to walk out into the registry office and tell everyone (60 people) that that the wedding was off as he had gotten cold feet. had to say it in German and then in English. (English guy supposed to marry a German girl in Germany).

As if things weren't bad enough when I said it in German that the wedding was off all the Germans gasped so the English were left waiting for a minute to see what I would say. I told them, then some big cnut of a guy stands up, asks me am I Irish ? I say I am and he just says in a really aggressive voice " I hate the fcuking Irish, I bet this is your fault you scummy Irish bastard". Ignorant cnut.

We still went back to the football club where the reception and afters for about 150 people was to be held and ate and drank plenty. The aforementioned big English cnut tried to start a couple of fights with me and the Germans until the barman threw him out. Totally racist gobsh1te altogether. An awful, awful day and terrible memories of it.

I came back to Ireland 2 months later on holidays to go to a schooolmates wedding, the bride called it off the evening before. Probably the right decision, both are happy in different long term relationships now.

I stayed the fcuk away from weddings for a long, long time after that, just went to afters.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement