Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ann Romney GOP

• 29-08-2012 4:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Is it me or did she just insult every working American woman who isn't a mom?
    It's the moms who always have to work a little harder, to make everything right.

It's the moms of this nation -- single, married, widowed -- who really hold this country together. We're the mothers, we're the wives, we're the grandmothers, we're the big sisters, we're the little sisters, we're the daughters.

You know it's true, don't you?

You're the ones who always have to do a little more.

You know what it's like to work a little harder during the day to earn the respect you deserve at work and then come home to help with that book report which just has to be done.

You know what those late night phone calls with an elderly parent are like and the long weekend drives just to see how they're doing.

You know the fastest route to the local emergency room and which doctors actually answer the phone when you call at night.

You know what it’s like to sit in that graduation ceremony and wonder how it was that so many long days turned into years that went by so quickly.

You are the best of America.

You are the hope of America.

There would not be an America without you.

Tonight, we salute you and sing your praises.

I'm sure successful businesswomen without children, or dedicated surgeons, firefighters, church leaders, full time carers and all the other women who decided not to have children or simply could not afford children will be thrilled to know they are not the 'best' of America.

A nauseating family-values ra-ra-rah from a woman who has done nothing more remarkable than push 5 boys out of her and tries to validate it by dismissing her own sex.

Ugghh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Beware the sniff test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

How so, Ann Romney has just basically said that women who do not have children are not the "best of America" and that this is somehow self-evident.

She just insulted;
    Georgia O'Keefe, Condoleezza Rice, Oprah Winfrey, Marilyn Monroe, Louisa May Alcott, Kathy Bates, Katharine Hepburn, Debbie Harry, Rebecca Romijn, Jacqueline Bissett, Rosa Parks, Stockard Channing, Bo Derek, Eva Gabor, Greta Garbo, Ava Gardner, Kim Cattrall, Gloria Gaynor, Lauren Hutton, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, Kim Novak, Dolly Parton, Molly Peacock, Minnie Pearl, Bernadette Peters, Bonnie Raitt, Ayn Rand, Rachel Ray, Sally Ride, Ginger Rogers, Diane Sawyer, Marlo Thomas, Lily Tomlin, Dawn Wells, Mae West, Eudora Welty, Edith Wharton, Betty White, Emily Dickinson, Julia Child, Pam Grier, Gertrude Stein and 20% of American women 35-44.

Sniff. Smells off to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not a Mom. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

*Reads through speech looking to be offended*

She never mentions how young men contribute to society either. I'm offended.

Offended by omission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm more offended by the sickly sweet nature of those quotes. It's all so artificially wholesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I though Ann Romney did a fine job and did what all spouces of the candidate at these conventions do... put a more human/family/caring look to their partners.

I remember someone else talking about being a mom, her family, her wonderful husband, and even multiple sclerosis in a convention speech 4 years ago about this time. Gee... I wonder who that was, and if people were calling it sticky sweet and artificially wholesome then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

She said Mitt loves America: So why does he keep his money offshore bank accounts? She said women have to work harder: So why are they against equal pay for women?

Amerika wrote: »
    I though Ann Romney did a fine job and did what all spouces of the candidate at these conventions do... put a more human/family/caring look to their partners.

I remember someone else talking about being a mom, her family, her wonderful husband, and even multiple sclerosis in a convention speech 4 years ago about this time. Gee... I wonder who that was, and if people were calling it sticky sweet and artificially wholesome then?

I'm not criticising her for being a mom, more for effectively saying you have to be a mom to be part of her "Best of America" club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Everybody has a Mom though. Are you saying your mommy isn't the Best? Are you better than your mother? I think you should call her.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Everybody has a Mom though. Are you saying your mommy isn't the Best? Are you better than your mother? I think you should call her.

Call her? Bitch please, I'm taking her to Vegas next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

"Ann Romney Talking About Middle Class Moms is like Chris Christie talking about a salad"

- Dennis Leary

Advertisement