Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US fiancé visa

Options
  • 29-08-2012 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all, I've decided that I want to move to the US to be with my girlfriend and we've decided to pursue the fiancé visa option.

My plan at the moment is to file within the next month or two and hopefully have the visa by Feb/March. I'm from Ireland but currently live in Korea and will be leaving here at the end of February '13. Will I be ok to travel directly to the US on the visa waiver and wait for the fiancé visa to come through or should I go back to Ireland and wait? Will there be a problem if I start the process with an embassy in Korea and then have to finish with an embassy in Ireland?

Can anyone give any advice, personal experiences, or good sites to research?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's not a problem to start in one country and finish in another, though it can delay the process a few weeks if they have to send your file from one place to another.

You can use the visa waiver to go visit your fiance, but you cannot finish the K1 process in the USA- you'd need to move back to Ireland for your medical and interview. from now to February is 6 months, which is possible, but it may take another month or so- file asap, especially with the holidays coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

How does the Fiance visa work? Are there many hoops to jump through to get one?

Not so many hoops, but lots of paperwork. CR-1 spousal visa is a bit easier if that is a concern.

Simplified:
    1. Your US fiance petitions the US government for you to get a visa- lots of forms including biographical forms asking about where you've lived, jobs etc. You pay the fee.
    2. If approved (about 4 months later) you will out more forms. You get a police cert from anywhere you've loved more than 6 months.
    3. You do a medical and go for a visa interview after paying another fee (6-8 months after initial filing). Your US fiance will need to prove they can financially support you. They will ask questions about how you met, your relationship etc. You will bring evidence such as photos, phone bills, emails etc. Hopefully you get approved.
    4. You have 6 months to use the visa and immigrate (the visa can only be used once, so no travelling back and forth).
    5. After moving to the USA, you need to get married within 90 days.
    6. After marriage, you file for AOS (Adjustment of Status) and pay another fee.
    7 You wait 5-7 months (cannot work or travel outside the USA for the first 3 or so of those), then you get your greencard.

A spousal visa elliminates steps 5-7, as you get a greencard immediately upon entry, and thus is cheaper, but takes about a month- 6 weeks longer before getting the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

silja wrote: »
    It's not a problem to start in one country and finish in another, though it can delay the process a few weeks if they have to send your file from one place to another.

You can use the visa waiver to go visit your fiance, but you cannot finish the K1 process in the USA- you'd need to move back to Ireland for your medical and interview. from now to February is 6 months, which is possible, but it may take another month or so- file asap, especially with the holidays coming.

Hi Silja, sorry to bump an old thread but do you have any information or experience regarding changing your interview location from one country to another?

Not personally, but I know a few people who have done it. It's not difficult, but what exactly to do depends on what visa you are going for and where you are in the process. If your paperwork is still at USCIS, call them and inform them, then follow up by mentioning the change of consulates prominently in your cover letter next time you send in paperwork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement