Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

im just wondering how money Samuel L. Jackson got for those 5mins gueststar at end of episode 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I wouldn't be surprised if he did it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

humanji wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if he did it for free.

Agreed. Sam Jackson pretty much does what he wants at this stage and he seems to love playing the part. He didn't even take a credit for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Agreed. Sam Jackson pretty much does what he wants at this stage and he seems to love playing the part. He didn't even take a credit for it.

Am I correct in thinking that there wasn't a shot of both of them face to face, it seemed to be all cut-aways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It's gonna be a grower... Textbook Whedon... First 2-3 episodes are all about set up and introduction of characters... Once it hits its stride, it'll be as epic as the rest of the Whedonverse shows...

I like it. Doesn't take itself too seriously. Unlike the once promising but ultimately silly Heroes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

old hippy wrote: »
    I like it. Doesn't take itself too seriously. Unlike the once promising but ultimately silly Heroes.

Same here, while Kring got 4 seasons of Heroes, wasnt exactly Quality St after the 1st one :) While Whedon got his shows axed after 1/2 seasons, no justice there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Same here, while Kring got 4 seasons of Heroes, wasnt exactly Quality St after the 1st one :) While Whedon got his shows axed after 1/2 seasons, no justice there.

Good point. The first season of Heroes was just excellent, amazing how fast it went down the drain.

I have high hopes for SHIELD as long as they tone down the silly bickering British boffins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

old hippy wrote: »
    Good point. The first season of Heroes was just excellent, amazing how fast it went down the drain.

I have high hopes for SHIELD as long as they tone down the silly bickering British boffins...

I wouldn't even say the entire first season was excellent. I think it was great for the first half, but then started dropping in quality; culminating in that laughable final fight between Peter and Sylar that was being built up all season.

I'm hoping SHIELD is given time to find it's footing as well, though with Joss being quite busy with Avengers 2 and overseeing the other Marvel movies, I can't see him having as much input into the show. Shame.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    I wouldn't even say the entire first season was excellent. I think it was great for the first half, but then started dropping in quality; culminating in that laughable final fight between Peter and Sylar that was being built up all season.

I'm hoping SHIELD is given time to find it's footing as well, though with Joss being quite busy with Avengers 2 and overseeing the other Marvel movies, I can't see him having as much input into the show. Shame.

It would be a shame, as i hope he has some sort of final output, if not, he has only himself to blame, as it took a long time for Whedon to come out of his dark passage he called it, in an interview after The Avengers about his shows being axed.

Couldnt believe it was almost 4yrs since Dollhouse& Heroes were axed as it seems longer, with Firefly coming up 11yrs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

It would be a shame, as i hope he has some sort of final output, if not, he has only himself to blame, as it took a long time for Whedon to come out of his dark passage he called it, in an interview after The Avengers about his shows being axed.

Couldnt believe it was almost 4yrs since Dollhouse& Heroes were axed as it seems longer, with Firefly coming up 11yrs!

Firefly, 11 years!:eek:

Reminds me, I must start my yearly re-watch of Firefly and Serenity.

• Advertisement

ive only seen 1st and 2nd episodes since i dont have abc on my tv and only see them once a week on channel 4, still no origin episode how Coulson survive since i saw his death in avengers movie, i hope they show it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well that would kill off the whole mystery of it all. there gonna keep it so they can keep viewers who want to know.

wouldn't be surprised if he was
    an android

Yeah, I'd imagine that if anything Coulson's reveal would be an end of season cliffhanger.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Firefly, 11 years!:eek:

Reminds me, I must start my yearly re-watch of Firefly and Serenity.

Yeah, here it is, I got Serenity Blu-ray in the Amazon 2 for £10 recently, also i usually see it some w/ends on ITV/ITV4.

Yeah, here it is, I got Serenity Blu-ray in the Amazon 2 for £10 recently, also i usually see it some w/ends on ITV/ITV4.

well i saw serenity in bluray for €9.99 from hmv in 3 bluray for €20 :D

well lets get back to agents of shields

while last one was about captain american, lets see the next one is about

Well that ep was a lot better, i enjoyed that &
    "The Cavalry,"
    is now reporting for duty.

I wonder how many know about Coulson, considering Ward if he got elevated to Level 7 & Skye.

Also i thought there was
    a cameo at the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well last night's episode was the strongest of the three so far, having dispensed with the otherwise awful attempts to establish the premise seen in episodes one and two; number 3 was just a broadly-enjoyable caper with what I presume to be a hint towards another future enemy.

That said, the weak points in this show are still quite glaring; the largest of which is the dreadful Agent Ward. Both actor and character are utterly charmless and his presence detracts from most scenes. It's obvious the studio demanded the action lead be a 'handsome' white alpha-male, and it's clear as day the better choice is Ming Na's character; god forbid though a middle-aged asian woman takes point in the action. I hope that moment at the end suggests she'll get more time to shine, and at the expense of Agent Bland. Skye runs a close second and I'm not sure her arc is all that compelling really.

I still think if you took away the Marvel and Whedon connections nobody would pay a blind bit of a notice to this show; it's solid if utterly unspectacular. It's growing on me, slowly, but it hasn't hooked me in the same way other shows with similar set-ups did (Fringe and Alphas are the two closest cousins I think)

dont spoil it some of us cant see number 3 until friday like myself ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    dont spoil it some of us cant see number 3 until friday like myself ,

I mentioned no spoilers, and if you want to avoid them? Stay out of this thread until Friday. Why are you even here if you're allergic? :)

Should there be a timeframe added to this thread, as in either Us or UK/Ireland times? Like there is for other threads. Seems a little unfair that people watching the UK/Ireland times will have to avoid this thread for several days a week.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Should there be a timeframe added to this thread, as in either Us or UK/Ireland times? Like there is for other threads. Seems a little unfair that people watching the UK/Ireland times will have to avoid this thread for several days a week.

Well I always presumed the unwritten rule was to spoiler-text any specific details straight after broadcast (as Patty O Furniture did), but otherwise it was ok to chat about the recent episode in broad strokes, which I think I did despite Wampy's plee. Ultimately in a thread like this, clearly marked with [** Spoilers **] in its title, surely it's up to the reader to use their best judgement? It's not like other series on UK/IE telly either, where there's many months difference between broadcast (eg, The Walking Dead is about to start s4, while s3 is still showing in Ireland) and a real risk of accidental spoilerage; a few days difference shouldn't hurt that much? :)

Yeah I suppose so. I just brought it up just in case. I'm unfortunately one of those people who have no self control in these matters and always check spoiler tags. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The third one was clichéd but enjoyable. There's a bad guy for season 2 or 3 right there, assuming we make it that far. "Gravity Man!" Gravitron! Gravneto! :P

One thing though. Why don't they ever pull weedy female actresses aside and teach them how to punch properly? It wouldn't have bothered me so much only she spent several minutes hitting that bag. I know she's supposed to be clueless but any instructor would stop her right there before she hurt herself.

Still, Sarah Michelle Gellar still couldn't punch properly after years of training so maybe it's a whedon related thing. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mod Note: New episodes air on Tuesdays in the US and discussion of that episode is fair game from that point onwards.

Please take a moment and read the Spoilers section of the Television forum charter
    Just to be completely clear on the use of spoilers:
    - If a thread title has the word "Spoilers" in it, then it is OK to discuss the most recent episode (or older) without using [ spoiler ] tags.
    - If you have news about a future episode (from spoilerfix, ausiello etc.), then most people don't want to know (no, really - they prefer to be surprised by major plot developments and twists).
    - If you feel it should be posted anyway, please use [ spoiler ] tags (to give people the option of reading them or not). Also contextualise the spoiler by saying what it's about outside of the spoiler tag (Spoiler about Season Finale, Spoiler about Character Exit, etc.)
    - Links to interviews, show news etc. are OK (people can decide on whether or not to click them).
    - Posting Youtube clips of "next episode" promos is also OK in the TV forum (people can decide whether or not to watch them).
    - Bear in mind that some show-specific forums in the TV category have their own rules about where promo clips can be posted. Please check their charter if you are not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm still waiting for that moment when I fall in love with the show. I'm enjoying it so far, but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. I'm sure it'll happen, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

On the casting side of things though, I think everyone's great. Chloe Bennet as Skye is probably my favourite casting decision in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The dialogue has some stand out moments, but the characters and storylines have yet to hit. I'll give it a few more episodes before making a decision on it.

I'm still waiting for that moment when I fall in love with the show. I'm enjoying it so far, but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. I'm sure it'll happen, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

On the casting side of things though, I think everyone's great. Chloe Bennet as Skye is probably my favourite casting decision in recent years.

Really, even Ward? I'm not taken with Skye, but at least the actress has a bit of charisma; Ming-Na could head a show on her own, Fitzsimmons are grand in small doses, but Ward has been a bit of a non-entity, utterly charmless.

Interesting buildup to a possible enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

amazing how people think the women pouting in the corner is the best character

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Really, even Ward? I'm not taken with Skye, but at least the actress has a bit of charisma; Ming-Na could head a show on her own, Fitzsimmons are grand in small doses, but Ward has been a bit of a non-entity, utterly charmless.

I like Ward - they need his type of character (the wooden hero) at the beginning. I think the idea is we warm to him as Skye does.

Advertisement