Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

This kind of mindless Television really needs to die a death, I have watched all 4 episodes of this now and it has almost no redeeming features, its such a throw back to how crap TV used to be and I absolutely despise one episode one story type of shows, totally soulless.

You may be right and I'm glad you said it.

We all expected a little more from this....or hoped....

Someone mentioned Chuck earlier -- Chuck, for me, was entertaining. AOS is not....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

It was a better ep, but i suppose you have to be loyal at the moment, as with all other shows you wanted to make it, how long would you give it, that i dont know, i'm just gonna be patient at the moment, for the while.

Funny moment, Agent Ward under the guise of the ex agent, was waiting orders to probably shoot the target, had to laugh when ordered to 'Seduce him' :p

rockbeast wrote: »
    6 o'clock on a Saturday in the 80's on RTE!

Don't think it's established that age demographic yet though. If it does, that's fine but at the moment I think the general consensus is that people are hoping for it to develop into a Fringe type show?

Same with me, most of the family watched A-Team but it was @ 5.05pm ITV & 7pm RTE1 Sat. Classic telly, that wont wreck the brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Funny moment, Agent Ward under the guise of the ex agent, was waiting orders to probably shoot the target, had to laugh when ordered to 'Seduce him' :p
    When I think about it, it was a horrifically obvious joke, but I laughed as well. It was a good way of deflating his seriousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I recorded the first four episodes and have now watched three of them and I have to say I can only hope it improves because so far I'm not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The flaws that have been mentioned on the thread still remain, but I thought the recent episode was the best thus far.

That was probably the best bit of the series thus far. I thought that was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What age group is this aimed at? it does appear to be a vey vacuous tv show

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,225 ✭✭✭✭flazio

silverharp wrote: »
    What age group is this aimed at? it does appear to be a vey vacuous tv show
    If it was to come before the IFCO for a maturity rating I reckon it'd get a 12a. It's meant to be fun for all the family it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I don't get the amount of hate thrown at this so far. Is it a great TV show? Not even remotely close but it's still a perfectly enjoyable hour every week. I get that people (myself included) had very high expectations (and it may well settle in and get better with time as they develop chemistry) but it's really not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I enjoyed that. Probably the strongest episode so far.

Definitely a huge improvement and a lot darker too. That burning scene was kinda gruesome for the audience they seem to have been targeting lately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Only episode that held my attention from start to finish (more or less). Overall the series just does not seem quite...Whedon. None of the humor and clever dialogue.
    Only point of intrigue is what happened to Coulson after Loki did him in.

Maybe it will pick up from here, otherwise it may suffer a classic Whedon fate, somewhat deserved this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Improved upon episode 4, which was an improvement on the previous, its going in the right direction anyway, I'll definitely give it more time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought last week's was breezier, more fun. This latest episode was just a little too earnest, and more than a little dull. Ruth Negga at least seemed to be having fun & was turning up the charm as the villain.

That said ... Scorch. Really? Scorch? That's the best they could come up with for a codename? Dull, uninspired and just a little bit naff; whether I'm talking about the nickname or the show itself I'll leave that up to you guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Did anyone else find this episode much more engaging?

Great tonal shift, good story, great linkage to other Avengers type stuff ie extremis, Captain America ( I know we've had it already but still, felt more grounded today)

Ruth Negga seemed to play a blinder and made an excellent debut,

I found it actually seemed to move the greater story arc further rather than just mutant/villain of the week (its still prob gonna be that format considering its duration)

But has definitely recaptured my waning interest-
    Could be v interesting if the next few episodes are as strong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Interesting in the fact that they have introduced more characters from the comics and also hinted at mutants which has not been done before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

ive only saw 4 episodes i cant see 5th one until friday, im not finding this tv series good so far, isnt good as 80s and 90s tv shows series, I found the 4th one very boring wasnt that great episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

a whole scene with yerone going round in her underwear, then they tack on grumpycat having her jumper as some sort of excuse for that scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,842 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think 5 episodes in the arc story is now starting to come out and it will find its feet.

But we have become such an instant gratification society that we don't give shows the chance and so many get cancelled so quickly. A show like this was always going to struggle from the hype because the major Marvel Superhero/Villians were not going to be the stars of the show.

With Ian Hart and Ruth Negga showing signs of having fun with their roles and it gives Agents a chance I think.

This isn't supposed to be The Sopranos or Breaking Bad. It is a comic book and I for one enojoy that aspect of the shows like Agents as much as I love the Breaking Bad's of the world.

the doctor was horribly killed very soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

the doctor was horribly killed very soon...

Bit uneven with the age appropriateness again. It was fairly horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

i had no idea one the of agents was a cyborg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    i had no idea one the of agents was a cyborg

Huh? Who are you talking about, nobody's a cyborg. If you mean the Chinese agent who got a hole blasted through his chest, well ... yeah, it was just FX of a dude with his chest blown out hehe... and speaking of grisly deaths...
    Gbear wrote: »
    Bit uneven with the age appropriateness again. It was fairly horrific.

I know, right? It was really gruesome and the shot refused to cut away. I'm honestly not sure why they feel the need for these random moments of horrific violence in what is otherwise a fairly tepid show. They don't really add anything, and just serve to highlight how slapdash the tone and approach has been so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

see ya folks, I'm out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I like the violence. The world is a violent place....and if it had people with super powers, it would be even worse. Family friendly garbage can go to hell, this is after the watershed and I'm glad the team isn't afraid to get it's hands a little dirty.

It doesn't have to be tarantino level violence, but people should be killed and not knocked out stupidly. If nobody ever died on screen, there would be no tension in any scene.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I didn't think the gruesome deaths were too out of place. They might have been in some of the earlier episodes, but I thought the tone of this latest one was a bit darker and more mature overall, even without the deaths. I think they're still trying to decide exactly what they want to be, they're still not really sure if it's a grown up show or a kids one.

I hope that they're going to keep going in the direction they're going anyway. I thought the most recent episode was easily the best. The story was good, the acting seemed much better and the characters seemed a bit more 3-dimensional and interesting, Coulsen had a genuinely funny line or two. It actually felt a little bit like the first Iron Man movie.

speculation
    is coulson and may skyes parents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

More Skye nudity please :D , But seriously its getting better every week in my view ....and what a horrible hero/villian name Scorch ...i understand they can't use Pyro because he's in the X-Men universe but come on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

....and what a horrible hero/villian name Scorch ...i understand they can't use Pyro because he's in the X-Men universe but come on

I'm hoping he got a crap name because he was such a minor bad guy and was killed off pretty quickly, and they'll have better names for any more serious bad guys.

I don't know a lot about Marvel, but I think the more minor characters tend to have crappy names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't really like this episode. I thought 'Scorch' was incredibly annoying and lame too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

This one was poor after last week's improvement. I wouldn't be sticking with this show at this point if it weren't for Whedon's involvement but part of me is hoping that he'll turn it around soon as Dollhouse didn't get interesting until episode 6.

Incidentally I was knitting my son a Jayne Cobb hat while watching this and thinking of it's source material while watching AoS made for a depressing comparison.

Advertisement