Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,225 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Does anyone recognize the church from the outside shot? I realise the inside was a set in LA but the external? Somewhere in Dublin? Not in Ireland at all?

Tried to catch up on the episodes over the weekend and gave up. Didn't manage to finish a single episode and found myself spending more time looking at my ipod than I did the screen. It really is juvenile, poorly made trash that doesn't deserve to be on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,842 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was the best one yet. A very good hour of TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

What can you say 'Warm & Fuzzy' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah that wasn't a bad episode at all. Had quite an X-Files vibe to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Yep 'Repairs' was definitely the best episode of the show. I think it's finally starting to find its groove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I reckon if they keep going with episodes like the latest one and throw in a bigger picture storyline, it'll really help the show take off. So far, we've got the over-arching stories of the mystery of what happened to Coulson post-New York and the evil organisation, Centipede. The Coulson thing is interesting but Centipede has been a little underplayed. They need something more, I reckon. But I'm enjoying the show so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think the last few episodes have benefited from being focused more the characters and their interaction with each other rather than a baddie/mcguffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Catching up on Agents of Shield. Just watching the eps with the Dublin riot footage. LOL .

• Advertisement

No episode this week?

flazio wrote: »
    No episode this week?

Off air for 2 weeks as far as I know. One down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Off air for 2 weeks as far as I know. One down

there is an episode this week actually then another break till January

sky23 wrote: »
    there is an episode this week actually then another break till January

Oh right, I'm watching on Channel 4 I think we're a week ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Oh right, I'm watching on Channel 4 I think we're a week ahead

episodes air on tuesdays in the us and friday the same week on channel 4

sky23 wrote: »
    episodes air on tuesdays in the us and friday the same week on channel 4

And Sunday on RTÉ Two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"Charles Gunn....two n's. Yes, that's my real name!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Tahiti.......:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

jenjenten wrote: »
    Tahiti.......:eek:

Did something interesting on this show happen finally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,842 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mid season finale was good enough to bring me back when in returns in the New Year.

In the last few episodes they seem to be finding their legs so hopefully this break gives them time to work on scripts and story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Mid season finale was good enough to bring me back when in returns in the New Year.

In the last few episodes they seem to be finding their legs so hopefully this break gives them time to work on scripts and story.

Good to see you're posting, hope they let you go soon man :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And that's my cue to leave. I was actually hoping the last two episode would ramp up the pace, tension and at least create some stakes and antagonists to make me want to return. It's a standard trick of shows to keep a holding pattern until the season breaks, when they just throw the money and drama into a thrilling finale. Instead Agents... petered out with the same ambling, hamfisted and ultimately monotonous pace that defined much of this half-season.

'Dull' doesn't even begin to cover just how unambitious that finale was. And cheap: god it's even boring to look at. Centipede and the return of Peterson reeks of a show that is utterly constrained by Marvel, demonstrating a reluctance to let Agents... use the mythology from the comics, just in case the studio wants to use it later in their movies. Why else would they invent an otherwise forgettable group like Centipede or pointless character like Peterson when the comics bulge with random heroes and acronym-based evildoers? Instead we get rent-a-badguy having a stand off on a bridge. Yawn.

Add to that, there's not a single situation or character I care about, no matter how much the show tells me I should. And while the Ward / May conflict is actually kinda interesting - I never would have said that about Ward initially, so credit there - Skye is an albatross dragging the whole ensemble down with her awful delivery and lines that make her sound like snarky 10-year old. Fitzsimmons aren't far behind but at least they get some decent lines and show a bit of zest; Skye is possibly the worst audience-surrogate I've seen in years.

Just in case I'm being too subtle here - I'm done :D Life's too short to be wasting it on sub-mediocre TV shows. If people are enjoying it, then fair play, but I can't take any more :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Bacchus wrote: »
    Did something interesting on this show happen finally?

Nope!

Nope!

Fitzsimmons continue to deliver the laughs....Ruth Negga knocking it out of the park, Coulson getting kidnapped, Tahiti incoming, Ward/May....Skye and her past.

I am 100% now Coulson is her father, the show has got alot better in the last four episodes, certainly since The hub.

pixelburp wrote: »
    And that's my cue to leave. I was actually hoping the last two episode would ramp up the pace, tension and at least create some stakes and antagonists to make me want to return. It's a standard trick of shows to keep a holding pattern until the season breaks, when they just throw the money and drama into a thrilling finale. Instead Agents... petered out with the same ambling, hamfisted and ultimately monotonous pace that defined much of this half-season.

'Dull' doesn't even begin to cover just how unambitious that finale was. And cheap: god it's even boring to look at. Centipede and the return of Peterson reeks of a show that is utterly constrained by Marvel, demonstrating a reluctance to let Agents... use the mythology from the comics, just in case the studio wants to use it later in their movies. Why else would they invent an otherwise forgettable group like Centipede or pointless character like Peterson when the comics bulge with random heroes and acronym-based evildoers? Instead we get rent-a-badguy having a stand off on a bridge. Yawn.

Add to that, there's not a single situation or character I care about, no matter how much the show tells me I should. And while the Ward / May conflict is actually kinda interesting - I never would have said that about Ward initially, so credit there - Skye is an albatross dragging the whole ensemble down with her awful delivery and lines that make her sound like snarky 10-year old. Fitzsimmons aren't far behind but at least they get some decent lines and show a bit of zest; Skye is possibly the worst audience-surrogate I've seen in years.

Just in case I'm being too subtle here - I'm done :D Life's too short to be wasting it on sub-mediocre TV shows. If people are enjoying it, then fair play, but I can't take any more :)

Vaild points....but i feel Jed and Maurisa know the problems, and are working on it...albeit slowly. These two delivered in spaights on Dollhouse and Spartacus.

They need fresh blood, Jane Espenson would be a good start....at the start we all :rolleyes: at the predicatble coupling of Skye and Ward, but thankfully they've turned this around showing that Ward is a very mature man and SHIELD agent.

Skye is a girl...May is a woman, and i give the show kudos for defying tv coupling trope. The Hub showed it *can* gt a decent budget...but admit it does look cheap overall, MARVEL probably are holding the show back.

I am taking it one at a time, its giving me enough to come back...just about. I disliked May and Ward for half the season, now i see strong growth.

Hopefully they dont go down the
    Life Model Decoy
    on Coulson....too obious, but it needs to be something good!

I'd at least wait to see if the team go rouge and what Tahiti is about :)

Simmons is the only one delivering the witty lines in her own self deprecating way!
    When does the show come back as i need a break after all that excitement, i hear Tahiti is good this time of year ;)

Simmons is the only one delivering the witty lines in her own self deprecating way!
    When does the show come back as i need a break after all that excitement, i hear Tahiti is good this time of year ;)

Early January....as for Tahiti, well..... ;)

35BhuN4.jpg

Mind if i put that on my window, to remind me of it, as i should get a better picture of what goes on there :P

episode 1.11 is called
    the magical place
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Vaild points....but i feel Jed and Maurisa know the problems, and are working on it...albeit slowly. These two delivered in spaights on Dollhouse and Spartacus.

I don't agree they do - or at least, that they're working on it; at first I thought there was an upward curve on the quality of the show in general, but the end I realise it was just sleight of hand. There hasn't actually been any real, tangible improvement. Like I said, Ward has turned out different to what most expected, but in fairness the guy was so badly written and acted at the start there was nowhere to go except up.

Everything else in the show has been static or else moved backwards. Skye is just a horrible character from every angle and emblematic of the problems with the show as a whole; inconsistent, illogical, immature and utterly grating. The episode in The Hub was the moment for me when I walked away thinking "f*ck this show" as the characterisation was so ham-fisted, so irredeemably amateur and all over the place I didn't actually believe the writers knew what they were doing. I've said it before but remove the name 'Joss Whedon' and 'Marvel' from this project and I'd guarantee people would be less forgiving of its faults.
    They need fresh blood, Jane Espenson would be a good start....at the start we all :rolleyes: at the predicatble coupling of Skye and Ward, but thankfully they've turned this around showing that Ward is a very mature man and SHIELD agent.

What they need is Marvel to stop suffocating their own franchise; with all these announcements about Netflix making Marvel TV shows and the general increase in cinematic adaptations, the obvious question is why Agents... is being held back from using the varied mythology you would have thought was available to it. The writers have nothing to fall back on, no templates to use as reference so instead have to invent all these banal tropes and archetypes that excite & interest nobody, coming off as awful scripting-by-numbers instead.
    I'd at least wait to see if the team go rouge and what Tahiti is about :)

The Tahiti thing isn't that interesting, not when the writers kept having Coulson remind us all the time that he died in The Avengers. Yeah Phil, we know, stop talking about when you died. It was clear something was up from episode 1 yet they dragged it out for 10 episodes; more really as we got no indication of what was up in that boring finale. How on earth do you manage to botch a climax where the team leader gets kidnapped? And considering the aforementioned hamstrung mythology, I'm going to guess the answer to his ressurection will be Asgard/Chitari tech.

Advertisement