Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

AFAIK they had something like 18 episodes already made before the first aired, so they can't really be changing things based on feedback yet. It'll be season 2 before we see any of that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Joss Whedon must love Tahiti, ive been re-watching Buffy and Angel the last few months and There has been at least 3 references in jokes to Tahiti in the last few episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I didn't realise until last night that Fitz is the guy who starred in The Fades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I didn't realise until last night that Fitz is the guy who starred in The Fades
    Me either, looks a lot different. And no Scottish accent in the Fades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Give it some time. I know I am. It's not Firefly....that's for sure but it's better than Dollhouse anyway, which I was very disappointed in as a Whedon fan.

If you want an example of an inconsistent mess of a show that was completely all over the place, look no further than Dollhouse. And it had so many actors I liked in it! Uck.....what a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kirby wrote: »
    Give it some time. I know I am. It's not Firefly....that's for sure but it's better than Dollhouse anyway, which I was very disappointed in as a Whedon fan.

If you want an example of an inconsistent mess of a show that was completely all over the place, look no further than Dollhouse. And it had so many actors I liked in it! Uck.....what a shame.

It was how Firefly's cast really clicked with each other that made it such a stand out show tho, unlike Dollhouse and now Agents which suffer from the usual generic character types more so than the quality of the storylines for any of the 3 shows.

Coulson is a good enough character for the most part except for the constant "I died" plot arc that's just too in the viewer's face every damm week. Sadly the rest of the cast especially Skye really drag the show down with their blandness.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The midseason finale was make or break for me following it into the 2nd half of the season and sadly it's the latter. I'd echo Pixelburp's comments about how grating Skye is as a central character and the reluctance of the writers to utilise anything of note from the Marvel universe. There are legions of minor level characters & groups from the Marvel comics which will never get within spitting distance of a motion picture that would have been prime fodder for this show.

Hopefully the Marvel Netflix shows will actually make decent use of the Marvel canvas unlike AoS. For now I'll stick with 'Arrow' for tv superheroics - a show that actually incorporates ideas from its source material into the series.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As I've only a passing knowledge of the Marvel universe and mythos, the lack thereof in AoS not too pressing for me. However, it does seem to fail to leaving up to its premise of delivering an open ended and engaging TV series just based on its own internal dynamics with on overreliance on hints to draw in the fans, ie how 'Lost' did so much better.
    As I'd never really clicked with 'Arrow', will still view post mid-season due to lack of alts, by more of habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's fine.

I watch it on one screen while doing something else on the other.

Damning with faint praise, obviously, and maybe it's damning of TV shows (or at least this one) that they're stuff to do if you've literally nothing else, or something to share your attention with while you're fiddling around on your phone but it does that job for me and I'm happy enough with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Manach wrote: »
    As I've only a passing knowledge of the Marvel universe and mythos, the lack thereof in AoS not too pressing for me. However, it does seem to fail to leaving up to its premise of delivering an open ended and engaging TV series just based on its own internal dynamics with on overreliance on hints to draw in the fans, ie how 'Lost' did so much better.
    As I'd never really clicked with 'Arrow', will still view post mid-season due to lack of alts, by more of habit.

Truth be told, I wouldn't be very knowledgeable of the Marvel universe myself, with perhaps SHIELD and HYDRA being the only organisations I knew of prior to the films popping up in the cinemas. I am aware though that there's other mythologies, characters and institutions out there, not quite as famous as the marquee ones, and this is what I found frustrating with AoS. I was curious to see how Marvel could transfer their superhero properties to the small screen, or how they might expand the cinematic universe into a living, breathing world. Yet the studio have done nothing of the sort; it seems like a low-hanging fruit they've contrived to miss, opting instead to write some tepid, generic material that feels like they knocked it out in their sleep, than dipping into their extensive back catalogue.

I think it deserves seeing what the next 2-3 episodes look like, see if answers come or if a season story arc is in play. Its an average show and if it ended tomorrow i wouldnt blink a false eyelash at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

jenjenten wrote: »
    I think it deserves seeing what the next 2-3 episodes look like, see if answers come or if a season story arc is in play. Its an average show and if it ended tomorrow i wouldnt blink a false eyelash at it.

I'll keep an eye on reviews, and on this thread in case I hear that they get their act together; but I certainly wouldn't waste my time any further. 10 episodes feels like a good enough slice, and I just don't get any pulse from this show. Pity, but then - it was NBC so it's not all that much of a surprise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

im gonna give the show the benefit of the doubt and keep with it, if they get their act together and give people some proper action and make the characters more likeable, or hateable whichever,

to me a person who watches a lot of TV and Films the show is very generic and designed to draw in a much younger crowd than it should be aiming for, it should be aimed more at 25-35 year olds who have been reading about some of these character for 10-15 years and longer, not some 15 year old that fair enough has an interest in the characters he reads about, and seeing the translation onto tv, just not as much as people who have invested over a decade into them, and no matter how you look at it that is the way the show is designed and the sooner they move away from that model the better,

im hoping theyll do what revolution done last year and get stuck into a much more adult and direct style of storytelling, quit hinting at things and just lay them out, i mean i dont care for skye enough to give a sh!t who her parents are and i dont really fancy having it drawn out for 2-3 seasons, and i could really take or leave ward, i really could not give a sh!t if he got his head blown off,

if there isnt a marked improvment by the end of the season im out, with the money involved and with marvels reputation the show is a banker for renewal no matter what, i just hope they dont use that as an excuse to be lazy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,225 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Back this week?

ha!....Stan Lee is taking his cameo apperance tour to television now!, you can bet he'll be in all the Netflix shows as well

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/official-stan-lee-appear-marvels-668771

flazio wrote: »
    Back this week?

tonight....

jenjenten wrote: »
    tonight....
    On US TV it seems but for those of us who want to watch on our non smart Telly box things apparently it's not back on Channel 4 until later in the year as they are covering the Winter Olympics. Is it showing up in the RTÉ Guide for RTÉ Two?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

flazio wrote: »
    On US TV it seems but for those of us who want to watch on our non smart Telly box things apparently it's not back on Channel 4 until later in the year as they are covering the Winter Olympics. Is it showing up in the RTÉ Guide for RTÉ Two?

:eek:

• Advertisement

Indeed, and looking at RTÉ Twos upcoming Sunday night schedule on Entertainment.ie they aren't fast tracking it either. Missed opportunity for RTÉ there

Right, after doing a bit of investigating I see now that there is a listing for Agents of SHEILD on RTÉ Two Sunday the 19th from 2010 until 2100 (8:10pm until 9pm). According to Radiotimes.com it is definitely NOT on Channel 4 on Friday the 17th. However, Saturday the 18th between 1910 and 2100 the schedule remains TBA. For the first half of the series Channel 4 slotted in a repeat of Friday's episode between 1910 and 2000. They may yet make that screening their première screening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The other theory is that given the amount of breaks the US take between episodes, they are waiting so they can give the second half of the season a straight run through.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye on reviews, and on this thread in case I hear that they get their act together; but I certainly wouldn't waste my time any further. 10 episodes feels like a good enough slice, and I just don't get any pulse from this show. Pity, but then - it was NBC so it's not all that much of a surprise :)

It airs on ABC. not NBC.

Last night's episode was a major improvement on the limp first half of the season. The scene of the robot operation on Coulson's brain was horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Answers anyway re: Coulson in the latest.

Quite good over all I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

was there an episode this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

sky23 wrote: »
    was there an episode this week?

YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thought the "death" of Coulson could've easily ended up looking cheap and there was a certain element of magical science involved, but it was satisfying enough that he didn't get a free second life like he was a character in a platform game.

It still leaves us wondering "why", of course.

A decent episode. The Ming Na supposedly ****ing Skye over was a bit transparent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thought there may have been an Asgardian theme to Coulsons issue seeing as that place does indeed have magic and all. Seems to be leading to Coulson seeking answers from Fury hope we get to see Samuel L Jackson on screen in an episode sooner than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Will the season still be on when The Winter Soldier comes out? Would love a tie-in episode, at least something better than the supposed ""Thor" tie-in episode.

Advertisement