Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I loved Coulson's reaction: "Huh.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Jesus this show really has done a 180 since the start, one of the show's I actually look forward to now, whereas earlier I'd put off about 5-6 episodes due to the poorness, hopefully a strong solid finish to this season now, can't wait for the finale!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have to say, both here and elsewhere I've read the show has taken a turn upwards, quality wise. I was a pretty harsh critic on this thread before bailing on the show, but if it genuinely has become good as opposed to simply better than it was (which was pretty woeful to begin with), I'd happily jump back onboard. Is this the case? And if so, why is it better, what has changed to improve on before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have to say, both here and elsewhere I've read the show has taken a turn upwards, quality wise. I was a pretty harsh critic on this thread before bailing on the show, but if it genuinely has become good as opposed to simply better than it was (which was pretty woeful to begin with), I'd happily jump back onboard. Is this the case? And if so, why is it better, what has changed to improve on before?

Its great the past several weeks since the Capatain America movie came out the show has just changed certain characters are better the plot has improved so much but if you havent watched it its hard to say to much with spoiling it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,842 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think part if not alot of the reason is the writers had their hands tied with what was going to happen in Captain America.

They could introduce the cast of Agents and build a bit but if they showed there hand to much they would have given away the storyline of Captain America and that could not be allowed by Marvel or Disney because of the money involved in the films.

Now that the Hydra stroyline is out Agents is free to grow and even be a vital part of the lead up to Avengers 2 and phase 3 of the MCU.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Its great the past several weeks since the Capatain America movie came out the show has just changed certain characters are better the plot has improved so much but if you havent watched it its hard to say to much with spoiling it for you.

As I said, I had been watching the show until I could take no more. I don't recall what episode I bailed on, might have been the one set in SHIELD's HQ. Just wondering what has changed about the show.
    I think part if not alot of the reason is the writers had their hands tied with what was going to happen in Captain America.

They could introduce the cast of Agents and build a bit but if they showed there hand to much they would have given away the storyline of Captain America and that could not be allowed by Marvel or Disney because of the money involved in the films.

Now that the Hydra stroyline is out Agents is free to grow and even be a vital part of the lead up to Avengers 2 and phase 3 of the MCU.

MCU?

See, I get what you're saying, but it sounds more like all they've done is brought in more elements from the comics. One of my BIG problems with the show was how dreadful the characterisation was and that's a far more fundamental flaw than the lack of comic cameos; if you're saying all that has changed is a few more tie-ins with the movie franchise, then I'm not sure I'd want to go back.

MCU?

The MCU is Marvel Cinematic Universe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

See, I get what you're saying, but it sounds more like all they've done is brought in more elements from the comics. One of my BIG problems with the show was how dreadful the characterisation was and that's a far more fundamental flaw than the lack of comic cameos; if you're saying all that has changed is a few more tie-ins with the movie franchise, then I'm not sure I'd want to go back.

Again this was also linked to the Captain America movie these characters weren't allowed to grow because of what happens in the film franchise and the Captin storyline being the most important storyline of the film series.

The show itself started to raise it's game for me when Lady Sif guest stared.

But what they are trying to sell is Agents the films the four Netflix series being made and the Agent Carter series in the pipeline are all connected all part of the same universe.

The whole thing is a huge undertaking of course there is going to be blips along the way but now for me it's finding it's feet.

Right now its must watch tv for me, where a while ago it was when I get around to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

As I said, I had been watching the show until I could take no more. I don't recall what episode I bailed on, might have been the one set in SHIELD's HQ. Just wondering what has changed about the show.

The key things for me are that
    1) the plot has improved dramatically, there's genuine suspense now and a sense that events do matter, along with some good (if slightly cliched) twists

and

2) I started caring a little bit about the characters somewhere along the line without really realising it, it's still not an exemplar of character development, but the characters have become more believable and three dimensional.

It's still low end Marvel, and still has much of the cliches and cheese, but it has found it's own identity and is much better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

This show has gotten stupid good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I loved when fitz threw his tantrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I loved when fitz threw his tantrum

If they had that exact scene earlier in the first half of the season (with the same circumstances) I would have just rolled my eyes.

But they've really made the characters more humanized and sympathetic in the last few episodes, and I really felt for Fitz in that scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I never went off the show but I agree with SherlockWatson in that now I really look forward to watching it. Whereas before I might leave it until the weekend to catch up.

This line from Coulson:

"If I come out, will you shoot me? Because that means I won't come out."

and Fitz's "tantrum" work now. Before I probably would have been like ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

shinny wrote: »
    This line from Coulson:

"If I come out, will you shoot me? Because that means I won't come out."

That line and its delivery felt so much like Mal Reynolds line that I couldn't help a wee smile.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This show has improved so much, I'm wondering if it was given a Taiti treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Manach wrote: »
    This show has improved so much, I'm wondering if it was given a Taiti treatment.
    Oddly enough, I genuinely can't remember a lot of the earlier episodes. I assume they were magical...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

humanji wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I genuinely can't remember a lot of the earlier episodes. I assume they were magical...

I can confirm that they were definitely not magical! Still can't figure out the motivation of Ward's character. Does he genuinely like Skye? He used to be the weakest character for me (tied with Skye) but now seems the most interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

Got to agree with everyone, I watched the first half of the season and 'saved' the rest of the episodes until easter break and watched them then, couldn't believe it was the same show I was watching.

Definitely upped it's game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I can confirm that they were definitely not magical! Still can't figure out the motivation of Ward's character. Does he genuinely like Skye? He used to be the weakest character for me (tied with Skye) but now seems the most interesting.

Spoilers if you're not up to date:

It's gotten to the point with his character that he almost seems like a maniacal stalker. He's an evil bastard but has a creepy love for her. Is it because his affections for her are drawing him back towards the 'good side' or is he just so twisted by HYDRA that he commits to everything 100% and feels a compulsion to follow through on what little feelings he actually has? Is he conflicted or sociopathic? He's become an interesting character alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Spoilers if you're not up to date:

It's gotten to the point with his character that he almost seems like a maniacal stalker. He's an evil bastard but has a creepy love for her. Is it because his affections for her are drawing him back towards the 'good side' or is he just so twisted by HYDRA that he commits to everything 100% and feels a compulsion to follow through on what little feelings he actually has? Is he conflicted or sociopathic? He's become an interesting character alright.

In this weeks episode it's supposed to be a flashback with Ward and Garrett, I think we'll see why Ward follows him around like his lapdog. I'm not convinced he's that evil as per say, but that he owes or is sworn to align with Garrett that he chose to betray SHIELD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

In this weeks episode it's supposed to be a flashback with Ward and Garrett, I think we'll see why Ward follows him around like his lapdog. I'm not convinced he's that evil as per say, but that he owes or is sworn to align with Garrett that he chose to betray SHIELD.
    in most comics like the ones the marvel universe is based in there is generally a lot of allegiance changes throughout the stories, so i expect the show to be no different, ward might be hyrda now but that doesnt mean he will always be hydra, he didnt seem to impressed that garret allowed deathlock to use him like he did, hell be a SHIELD agent again by either seasons end or 2-3 episode into season 2,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

don ramo wrote: »
    in most comics like the ones the marvel universe is based in there is generally a lot of allegiance changes throughout the stories, so i expect the show to be no different, ward might be hyrda now but that doesnt mean he will always be hydra, he didnt seem to impressed that garret allowed deathlock to use him like he did, hell be a SHIELD agent again by either seasons end or 2-3 episode into season 2,

I don't think he could be a shield agent again not after he killed Agent Hand and all the other agents in that secret complex they attacked. He did seem to be repeating to Skye that he was only following orders but to my mind his actions are irredeemable

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

don ramo wrote: »

After, siding with the enemy and killing a bunch of shield agents I sure as hell hope not. It would be beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

MCU?

If we told you why it's so good now it would, to a huge degree, ruin why it's so good.

Shield has become a programme where you don't know what's happening next but you want to find out: it used to be a show so by the book I was struggling to care.

It has NOTHING to do with cameos or the comics, although they are nice add ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wonder why Ward never changed his name?

Found this amusing

get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fw4ki795.jpg&key=TafqLBvxffllavaFfft2EA&w=600&h=473.3333333333333

Holy ****ing ****, did that just happen!?!?!

Awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

On Ward, (having not seen the most recent episode), it would not be unual based on real-world precedent for todays enemies to be tomorrow's allies against a third party - enemy of my enemy etc. Except that Ag. Coulson, seems to be set up as one of those rare moral lexus, who does not indulge in compromises like that. Either way, this show certainly retraining my interest.

Advertisement