Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Start your speculation........

Ghostrider opened the portal to.....
    Niflheim which then links the upcoming Thor and opens the nine realms and also leads season which starts next January right up to Infinity War and lots of space adventures before joining the rest of the MCU in the war against Thanos.

This is what I'm thinking, and Season 5 also starts before the Black Panther film is released and the finale is right after Infinity War.

Maybe, and a big one at that, that this was the end game all along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,140 ✭✭✭✭Penn

S.W.O.R.D. It's essentially SHIELD's alien division. Protecting Earth from alien threats from space and other dimensions. Funnily enough, created in the comics by none other than Joss Whedon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote:
    Knowing there's definitely a season 5 made that teaser all the more enticing though: that's a helluva cliffhanger. It ain't our solar system, that's for sure, what with the weird nebula thing. Start your speculation now I guess ...

For a second I thought it was the prison from Guardians but i know it won't be. Really excited though, loved seeing them all together at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont really see the whole Season 5 being the last thing unless quality/viewership tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont really see the whole Season 5 being the last thing unless quality/viewership tanks.
    Well, ABC is moving it to Fridays, while that doesn't guarantee cancellation, it's never a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,835 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hawaii Five-0 & Blue Bloods on CBS has been getting a consistent 11/12m viewers in the 9pm & 10pm Friday night slot for the last few seasons.

So being thrown into what was once deemed the death slot on Network tv is not so much anymore those two shows are a good example that people do stay in and watch tv on a Friday night.

AoS is only getting 2/3m live viewers this season but ABC know there is an audience there as the viewer numbers jump by 120% when DVR viewers are taken into account.

10pm on a Friday night gives them a little leeway to make the show more adult as well and with less competition to go up against on a Friday night it might thrive in that slot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, talking 'death slot' in this day & age feels particularly archaic in any case; digital boxes, streaming services, hell even pirating has changed the landscape of the conversation & clearly the exact time of day a show airs isn't as important as it used to be. Definitely still important for the big ad-driven Networks yes, but not nearly as important as it used to be IMO.

I think Inhumans' relative success may have a larger affect on whether Agents... survives or not. If the new show becomes a demonstrably bigger hit then I think Agents... will get canned, but I dunno. Inhumans will need a strong, confident start given the almost universal praise Agents of SHIELD is receiving ATM.

Hawaii Five-0 & Blue Bloods on CBS has been getting a consistent 11/12m viewers in the 9pm & 10pm Friday night slot for the last few seasons.
    Ugh...total viewers don't mean anything. Those two shows are mainly watched by people over 49, so don't matter...to the networks.
    So being thrown into what was once deemed the death slot on Network tv is so much anymore those two shows are a good example that people do stay in and watch tv on a Friday night.
    Yeah, old people.
    AoS is only getting 2/3m live viewers this season
    Which might drop even further on Friday nights.
    10pm on a Friday night gives them a little leeway to make the show more adult as well and with less competition to go up against on a Friday night it might thrive in that slot.
    It's airing at 9pm, if it takes Inhumans' slot, so no leeway. It's not going to become more adult, and won't thrive at all.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, talking 'death slot' in this day & age feels particularly archaic in any case; digital boxes, streaming services, hell even pirating has changed the landscape of the conversation & clearly the exact time of day a show airs isn't as important as it used to be. Definitely still important for the big ad-driven Networks yes, but not nearly as important as it used to be IMO.

I didn't use the term "death slot", which is archaic. But ABC are moving it to Fridays because its ratings are already terrible.

But ABC are moving it to Fridays because its ratings are already terrible.
    Then why renew it for a 22 episode season?

Then why renew it for a 22 episode season?
    Because Disney (who own ABC) and Marvel wanted them to, corporate synergy and all that. Also, more syndication money, getting the show to 100 episodes.

• Advertisement

Because Disney (who own ABC) and Marvel wanted them to, corporate synergy and all that. Also, more syndication money, getting the show to 100 episodes.

Syndication these days only requires 88 episodes. The season finale was the 88th episode.

Penn wrote: »

Syndication these days only requires 88 episodes. The season finale was the 88th episode.
    Ha! You talk to me like I don't know these things. You obviously don't know, more episodes after 88 episodes = more syndication money.

Another reason ABC kept AoS and OUAT, and are moving them to Fridays, was because of them getting rid of their Friday comedy block, with the expensive Tim Allen, and his show that was owned by FOX. Their's a few reasons why they kept AoS, doesn't mean it doesn't have terrible ratings, though.

Ha! You talk to me like I don't know these things. You obviously don't know, more episodes after 88 episodes = more syndication money.

Another reason ABC kept AoS and OUAT, and are moving them to Fridays, was because of them getting rid of their Friday comedy block, with the expensive Tim Allen, and his show that was owned by FOX. Their's a few reasons why they kept AoS, doesn't mean it doesn't have terrible ratings, though.

Ratings as a whole are kinda p*ss poor indication of quality/enjoyment.

Well obviously the more episodes of the show they have, the more syndication money they can get. I was just saying 88 is generally considered to be the minimum number of episodes required for syndication in recent years, and they achieved that in their 4 seasons so they didn't need to push it over the line for 100 episodes. And if they wanted 100 episodes they didn't have to go with a new order of a full 22 episode season, could have done a 13 episode mini-season and ended it there.

Ratings as a whole are kinda p*ss poor indication of quality/enjoyment.
    Definitely. But perceived quality/enjoyment of a show, is a p*ss poor indication of its renewal chances.

Penn wrote: »
    Well obviously the more episodes of the show they have, the more syndication money they can get. I was just saying 88 is generally considered to be the minimum number of episodes required for syndication in recent years, and they achieved that in their 4 seasons so they didn't need to push it over the line for 100 episodes. And if they wanted 100 episodes they didn't have to go with a new order of a full 22 episode season, could have done a 13 episode mini-season and ended it there.
    Yup. But Disney, ABC, and Marvel decided that there was money to be made with 110 episodes, rather than stopping at 88. It's always about money.

Definitely. But perceived quality/enjoyment of a show, is a p*ss poor indication of its renewal chances.

Not necessarily. If no one watches its clearly doomed. AoS gets double the amount of viewers that the conventional ratings records. This show clearly has a strong fanbase. People were also crowing about a "ratings" decline for TWD that is similarly pointless and didnt stop the show being renewed. Even one of Nielson's top executives has admitted that the antiquated ratings model needs to change.

AoS gets double the amount of viewers that the conventional ratings records.
    Doesn't matter. Networks saying it does, is PR spin.

When the show returns next January, it's going to be a straight run through the 22, no breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i think its pretty obvious at this point that ABC dont control AOS renewal, disney via marvel do, whatever marvel deems that they need for the multi-billion dollar franchise, they get, and thats AOS which is essential for them to have a well rounded universe, thats why events that happen in marvel films translate to thing that have happened on AOS and vice versa,

also in these days of online streaming and that there is even more money to be made, ratings mean noting any more, netflix pay half the cost of the blacklist, i can only imagine what kind of deals the likes of disney have in place with these services to stream all their films and tv shows, even the worst of shows could make money id say,

its about how much a show can make, not how many people watch, those days are long gone, if you have 1 million people watching, but a show that costs 5 million an episode to make (so 100 million for a 20 episode season), can make 200 million, then i dont think they care about live ratings, and this is how things work now, and i love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So according to Entertainment weekly, Season 5 will see the return of
    Lance Hunter, after the supposed spin-off featuring himself & Bobby bit the dust.
    . No word yet though whether
    Adrianna Palicki will also return as Bobby, though she's busy with The Orville ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think it's only a reoccurring role in that show, and judgeing by the early reviews, it's not gonna last long, so there's a strong possibility of the second thing you mentioned happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

My mistake, I just checked and is main cast, but I still don't see the show lasting long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Delighted to see
    Hunter
    coming back..he was a fantastic character.

Blazer wrote: »

Well done on spoiling the spoiler thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Well done on spoiling the spoiler thanks.

fcuk..sorry lads...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Sparko

Blazer wrote: »
    Delighted to see
    Hunter
    coming back..he was a fantastic character.
    Ditto, I always thought he got a bit of a raw deal with the spin-off not going ahead, so I'm glad to see him back.

Sparko wrote: »
    Ditto, I always thought he got a bit of a raw deal with the spin-off not going ahead, so I'm glad to see him back.
    shame Bob wont be with him all the same

It's official - Season 5 will premiere on Friday, Dec 1 ����! #AgentsofSHIELD #NYCC

https://twitter.com/AgentsofSHIELD/status/916729207497154560

• Advertisement

And it's a 2 episode back to back premiere.

Advertisement