Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

They can't really stay in the future, everything there is pointless if the point of the season is to prevent the destruction of Earth. It ceases to exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

do you reckon the new kid who can join rocks together and killed that kree

do you think his powers could extend out to the asteroids and he could put the planet back together?

Something like: "Behold, I am [INHUMAN_NAME], Creator of Worlds!" :D

Slydice wrote: »
    do you reckon the new kid who can join rocks together and killed that kree

do you think his powers could extend out to the asteroids and he could put the planet back together?

Something like: "Behold, I am [INHUMAN_NAME], Creator of Worlds!" :D

I was thinking just that last night.

Saying that, it would just be a barren rock with no atmosphere, water, soil, plants, or animals.

The scrap of earth remaining should have no atmosphere either mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm getting the feelings that when it comes time to go back to the past not all of them will make the trip there will be a not enough room, life support capacity or some kind of tragedy I'd guess Mack and Yoyo Staying In The Future. Loved the pseudo ironman helmet towards the end too.

I was thinking just that last night.

Saying that, it would just be a barren rock with no atmosphere, water, soil, plants, or animals.

The scrap of earth remaining should have no atmosphere either mind

Yeah, I found the atmosphere and gravity a bit odd alright. All I could think of was them arguing it's just the remnants of what used to be there or something the Kree/Humans who are still about put there.

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Yeah, I found the atmosphere and gravity a bit odd alright. All I could think of was them arguing it's just the remnants of what used to be there or something the Kree/Humans who are still about put there.

It's just one of those break the illusion things for me.

If they explained that the lighthouse gravity tech was enough to hold onto the external atmosphere and that they had EM shielding then fine. As it is it just looks like the surface of Earth has air, water, gravity, and heat but is not baked by the sun (while lacking a core driven EM shield)

*Note to self*
    Meh, turn the brain off lad FFS it's comic book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

been a great season so far, id say this season is a big lead-up to whats gonna happen in infinity wars, id say thanos is the one who destroyed the earth after he got what stones were on earth, and daisy is the one getting the blame,

so id say theyll find out that it was thanos, and go back and change the outcome of the fight,

im just not buying that daisy could have destroyed the earth, shes powerful, but not even in the neighborhood of that kind of power, has to an infinity stone involved,

Can't see them linking to the films at all anymore unfortunately (although that has allowed them to become their own show, it does cast them adrift somewhat)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, it's not like that little section on 'earth' had the place particularly habitable; yes there probably shouldn't have been any atmosphere, but the MCU has had a very ... tenuous grasp on the principles of Space and vacuum, even by SciFi standards anyway, so hard to get too annoyed about something less daft than a Rainbow Bridge :D

It's a testament to the production staff that what is clearly a show with a severely slashed budget still manages to do so much with 3 or 4 sets. The scope is wildly reduced from the globe & reality hopping adventures of Season 4, but there's still a solid & intriguing story built off the backbone of good characters. Even the new ones are pretty fascinating in their own right, Kasius once again showing how a Marvel TV has created a better villain than its movie counterparts can manage. I suspect though the fact we didn't see his backstory is again down to the budget though :(

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, it's not like that little section on 'earth' had the place particularly habitable; yes there probably shouldn't have been any atmosphere, but the MCU has had a very ... tenuous grasp on the principles of Space and vacuum, even by SciFi standards anyway, so hard to get too annoyed about something less daft than a Rainbow Bridge :D

It's a testament to the production staff that what is clearly a show with a severely slashed budget still manages to do so much with 3 or 4 sets. The scope is wildly reduced from the globe & reality hopping adventures of Season 4, but there's still a solid & intriguing story built off the backbone of good characters. Even the new ones are pretty fascinating in their own right, Kasius once again showing how a Marvel TV has created a better villain than its movie counterparts can manage. I suspect though the fact we didn't see his backstory is again down to the budget though :(

It should be as habitable as the surface of the moon to be fair.

But yeah the Kree are much more interesting than the Film antagonists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can't see them linking to the films at all anymore unfortunately (although that has allowed them to become their own show, it does cast them adrift somewhat)

Agreed. Plus this season and the prophecy stuff seems to hint towards the AoS being able to do something which would prevent the Earth from blowing up and prevent this future from happening at all. As such, that would negate everything that led to it. If the show were to hint that either the infinity stones or Thanos were involved in what happened, they would be saying that in the background of Avengers 3 & 4, it was actually the Agents of Shield who saved the world without anyone in the films being aware of it.

AoS is simply its own thing now. Its connections to the films are so loose now as to be negligible.

The balls about it was that Coulson was in the MCU from the very start

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. Plus this season and the prophecy stuff seems to hint towards the AoS being able to do something which would prevent the Earth from blowing up and prevent this future from happening at all. As such, that would negate everything that led to it. If the show were to hint that either the infinity stones or Thanos were involved in what happened, they would be saying that in the background of Avengers 3 & 4, it was actually the Agents of Shield who saved the world without anyone in the films being aware of it.

AoS is simply its own thing now. Its connections to the films are so loose now as to be negligible.

It would be like that episode of Buffy where Xander saves the world but no one realises as they are having a big fight in the background. It would be a great twist if they could write it in.
    The balls about it was that Coulson was in the MCU from the very start
    Which they have cleverly seperated by his resurrection being kept a secret, although I would be surprised if everything made sense that someone like Tony wouldn't have had this flag up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CramCycle wrote: »
    It would be like that episode of Buffy where Xander saves the world but no one realises as they are having a big fight in the background. It would be a great twist if they could write it in.

It'd be a great twist for the show but it'd seriously diminish the effects of the Avengers films for the people who watch both (as most don't watch Shield). I doubt they'd be allowed to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

74 years into the future.

The last couple of episodes have gotten the biggest ratings since season 3.

Have they? Fantastic. I was afraid that the ratings would drop when it was moved to a Friday. Thats great news. Hopefully we will be getting a Season 6 so. I never clicked that that was Robin at the end. DOOOOOHHH

Lookit..

That was one of the best episodes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Very time paradox duplicate confusion episode, supreme leader Fitz level of anger makes him scary scary man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I was a bit confused by that episode. Were the flashbacks set after they had come back from the future and saved the world or was it set after they'd come back and failed to save the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I was a bit confused by that episode. Were the flashbacks set after they had come back from the future and saved the world or was it set after they'd come back and failed to save the world?

I think the flashbacks were from the original timeline where the world ended and they had never been sent to the future. When they were taken from the diner they were brought to the future of timeline 1. When they return from the future they will be in a new timeline where either they stop the world from ending or daisy still collapses the earth but by bringing flint back with them he can put earth back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think the flashbacks were from the original timeline where the world ended and they had never been sent to the future. When they were taken from the diner they were brought to the future of timeline 1. When they return from the future they will be in a new timeline where either they stop the world from ending or daisy still collapses the earth but by bringing flint back with them he can put earth back together.

That's what I thought at first but then at the end May tells Robin that she'll be there when she dies and Robin has to tell her how to save the world, which she'd surely only know if it had already happened to her? So, I'm wondering if maybe they save the world but something else happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

FunLover18 wrote: »
    That's what I thought at first but then at the end May tells Robin that she'll be there when she dies and Robin has to tell her how to save the world, which she'd surely only know if it had already happened to her? So, I'm wondering if maybe they save the world but something else happens.

A theory I've seen on reddit is that they are in a time loop.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/shield/comments/7rteok/spoilerss5e08_evidence_that/?utm_source=reddit-android

Yes they are in a time loop and it's possible we're seeing the next iteration in advance.. or it coulda been the previous..

either way, we're seeing parts of the world ending loop

I don't think the loop idea holds up. All the flashbacks hold up as being the original timeline. They haven't went forward and back in this version. The only thing I cannot figure out is if it is a direct copy of Back to the future with two timelines beside each other or if when they go back they simply obliterate the original timeline.

Flint I presume is needed to bring the monolith back together without touching it (they kept saying they needed it to jump backwards).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Yeah I don't see it being a time loop - its just a straight up alternate timeline of what happened if they didn't get taken from the diner.

The team ends up falling apart at the seams and cant save the earth, May ends up looking after Robin and having a softer side than we are used to. Its also a sort of nod to what happened in Bahrain previously and the child there.

We then have the timeline we are currently viewing where they have been transported to future and Robins visions and memories are mixed up and disjointed. She tells May what they need to do and I assume Flints involvement is the pieces of the monolith and putting them back together for the machine to work properly. I think beyond that we wont see him anymore when they go back to Earth in the past (normal day).

My other interest in all of this is Deke and who is he. He is too involved to be just some randomer and the piece about his parents and his father not letting the piece of the monolith go is as if his father knew it was for an important purpose. He looks like Hunter and I think there is going to be some family connection there that we will find out - his fathers name is mentioned as being Owen. His mother was killed by the Kree because she was a threat and knew and talked about the prophecy, those stories had to come from somewhere. Hunter wouldn't work age wise but its possible he might be their grandson or something like that. He will probably be killed off at the point they go back to the past but there will be a reveal of who he is before then and how he is one of them and part of SHIELD for his efforts in saving them.

Or maybe Flint is needed to hold the world together, as it cracks?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

CramCycle wrote: »
    I don't think the loop idea holds up. All the flashbacks hold up as being the original timeline.
    How does May telling Robin to hold off on her story fit in? It supports the time loop theory as does Fitz's dialogue of being stuck unable to alter events as they happen over and over. Everything says time loop to me.
    There's a good article on it here.

As to Deke's parents - I'm assuming his Dad is/was (we don't know he is definitely dead) Fitz's son. It would explain why his dad was fixing the McGuffin but didn't understand it. Since he's his grandson it's certainly feasible Deke never saw Fitz so he wouldn't recognise him and we already know Simmons dies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I thought time loop as well, i thought someone said 59 times or something, maybe im remembering it wrong. i assumed thats why robin is so confused because she is trying to distinguish the different timelines in her head.

Your man has to be someones grandson, its being played it too much for him not to be related to one of them. I was thinking fitz\simmons grandson myself too.

ixoy wrote: »
    How does May telling Robin to hold off on her story fit in? It supports the time loop theory as does Fitz's dialogue of being stuck unable to alter events as they happen over and over. Everything says time loop to me.
    I don't think it does, she knows that they get the time machine working and that the people we are following turn up in the future no matter what. It will only be when they go back can things be fixed/avoided. It's from that point to her that she can't see past, she can only see stuff in her timeline. They always took the agents but they were only able to take them after the machine was built so she is in the first pass at this.

As to Deke's parents - I'm assuming his Dad is/was (we don't know he is definitely dead) Fitz's son. It would explain why his dad was fixing the McGuffin but didn't understand it. Since he's his grandson it's certainly feasible Deke never saw Fitz so he wouldn't recognise him and we already know Simmons dies.
    I think Hunter fits better in how he acts and looks but you could be right. Dekes dad acting on instructions and ideas left by Fitz maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Anyway wouldn’t Deake have Fitz’s surname or at least know it.
    I’m guessing more likely Hunter’s grandson or maybe even Daisy herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe Deke is somehow Ward's grandson. :)

The time travel thing is strange since, if the timeline played out after they were taken from the diner then who flew the Zephyr? The future we saw played out while Fitz was frozen

Advertisement