Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    i know one puzzles me since coulson is coming back from the dead how come he isnt zombie

Who says he isn't 'Tahiti' seems to have been darkly hinted to be more of a metaphor than a vacation destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

Bacchus wrote: »
    He's got a bit of a cult following from the fans over the course of the movies.

With regards to the comments saying it looked cheap or dated compared to the rest of TV, I wonder is it just that it is a very bright, chirpy show that it gives that impression? Take a few recent critically acclaimed shows, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Mad Men. They all have varying levels of dark themes and gritty realism.
    In Breaking Bad, the tone is obviously dark and even the style of the filming is very muted, with a lot of grey & muddy greens set it a gritty world.
    Dexter is in sunny Miami but beneath that there are gritty murders and a very dark humour.
    To take something completely different, Mad Men doesn't deal with murder or meth but it's characters are superficially 'perfect' with some serious dark stuff lurking beneath.

My point here is that, maybe we, the audience, have become so accustomed to "dark reality = quality TV" that when a show like this comes along it feels cheap?

I can certainly see how it won't appeal to some people. Even fans of The Avengers may be disappointed it wasn't something grander. I note a few people expected it to be more 'cinematic' on this thread. Well, it ain't cinema. It's TV and in my opinion, it's a breath of fresh air in a season of gritty shows (Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Ray Donovan, Boardwalk Empire etc.)

I think perhaps the real problem is the actors, they all have a certian 'American daytime soap opera' veneer to them. It's like Harrison Ford said the George Lucas when he read the script for Star Wars, 'Yeah, you can write this $h1t, but can I say it?'
    Sometimes you need really solid character actors to make the rediculous sound plausible. This cast simply don't cut it for me. They're reading the lines, but I'm not buying it because they're desperately over selling. I mean, does anybody believe that Mr. Hard Ass 'I've killed people' could actually open a packet of bic razors without a hand from his acting coach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Are there any super heroes in the marvel universe that can bring someone back to life, the LMD theory is the most likely but for some reason I think it could be something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

LMD seems the most oblivious explanation to me. The rumour about Vision while not making sense in regards to how that character is portrayed in the comics would however tie into the fact that Ultron is to be the villain in the next Avengers film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

hold a second at the end of avengers film its show the next villain face and its Thanos face i thought he was going next villain the avengers going have to face off against

• Advertisement

hold a second at the end of avengers film its show the next villain face and its Thanos face i thought he was going next villain the avengers going have to face off against

For someone whose supposedly a big Marvel fan you really don't seem to know much about the various live action projects. Thanos was never intended as the villain of Avengers 2 and I'm assuming that his inclusion in the first film was a nod to the fans as well as a way of showing just how huge the universe is. Thanos will play a part in Guardians of the Galaxy and will most likely appear in one of the subsequent Avengers films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I thought it would be Thanos as well but the next film is titled "Avengers: Age of Ultron", unless this is a fake to throw people off the scent

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395427/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Who's the foe for Thor 2?

i never saw the full title of the next avengers movie only heard going be avengers 2, but i know full title of next avengers movie "Avengers: Age of Ultron", its not bad choice of a next villain since he is one most common of avengers villains and of Ironman villains, but it would leave people despair since they showed Thanos face at the end of the avengers movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy never i heard of Guardians of the Galaxy until i saw last night 1st of episode Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D on channel 4 one adverts show the Guardians of the Galaxy it could be the news while watching channel 4 last night it showed Guardians of the Galaxy and they said Thanos will be appearing in it,

flazio wrote: »
    Who's the foe for Thor 2?

Malekith

but he completely differently look from the comics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some very off-topic posts have been deleted (sorry Wampy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Is there a repeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

cena wrote: »
    Is there a repeat

It was already repeated yesterday at 7pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Damn that wasn't home than

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

cena wrote: »
    Damn that wasn't home than

It's on RTE2 at 8 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

didn't even know it was on rte don't watch it much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wait, did they just to the
    Back to the Future
    scene at the very end?
    sky23 wrote: »
    didn't even know it was on rte don't watch it much
    Oh, and
    username
    irony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

conorhal wrote: »
    Sometimes you need really solid character actors to make the rediculous sound plausible. This cast simply don't cut it for me. They're reading the lines, but I'm not buying it because they're desperately over selling. I mean, does anybody believe that Mr. Hard Ass 'I've killed people' could actually open a packet of bic razors without a hand from his acting coach?

Yeah, for me casting was the big flaw in the pilot. For a team of supposedly elite agents they mostly felt like new recruits. The combat expert Ward looked like he should have been throwing a football around at a college kegger party instead of being a bad-ass agent. The scene between him and the hacker, Skye, was especially cringe-worthy. It felt like something out of an episode of Buffy. Now that would have been fine if they had both been teenagers but as an adult conversation it was awful.

There's enough potential in the series that I'll keep watching but I wish they had made the roster a little more experienced instead of taking the lazy way out and casting a bunch of pretty young things. Coulson & Melinda May were the only characters I found interesting from the line-up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I enjoyed the first episode.

But I think it's not sure if it wants to be an adult show or a kids show and it ends up not really being either.

I'm also not sure how well Coulsen will work in this type of setting. A lot of what made Coulsen great in the movies was the contrast between him and Stark's loud brashness. It was more about what he didn't say and do than what he did. He's a great character, but not sure yet how well he'll work as a lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I sat through this, I think that it's really terrible. The budget looks to have been spend on fx, the casting is quite poor. Ward and Sky could have come from a poor mans Warehouse 13, Coulson needs a foil so he doesn't come across as too smarmy, the lab team are just sad, the Asian lady is so patently a nod to quota ethnic casting,
    "for colour, you know"?:rolleyes:

Plot is poor, the 'bad guys' are poor, the flying car, are you ****in' kidding me? Is this show aimed at 10 year olds? In which case disregard my criticisms and forgive my bad language. The good guy speech near the end was cringe-worthy.
    I'm out, but best wishes to all fans of this show. I hope that it works out for you, sincerely.

i bet Coulson is a clone of the real Coulson that died in avengers movie and his Superiors never want him to know hes a clone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

i bet Coulson is a clone of the real Coulson that died in avengers movie and his Superiors never want him to know hes a clone.

When he popped open the door of the van, I thought that he was a clone, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I really enjoyed this. It was pretty much what I expected in that it was light and breezy with a darker overall story arch. Kind of like A Town Called Eureka. Some funny lines in it (I liked Coulson appearing out of the dark corner. It's a silly joke, but made me giggle).

I'd guess that Coulson is a LMD, because (as pointed out above) he reacts a little too quickly to be human (or highly trained, like Black Widow etc). And the LMDs are always used by SHIELD. Does make it exciting to find out what he is though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I don't think he went to Tahiti, I think he went to Belize ;)

Just after watching the pilot and I'm wondering if I saw a different 42 minutes to everybody else as there's no way that the episode I saw is worthy of all the rave reviews. I've enjoyed most of Whedon's work and would class Firefly as on of televisions finest shows but I found the Avengers film seriously mediocre and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is in the same league. Well no, that's not really true. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. looks and plays out like one of those Asylum mockbusters only with a better script.

The whole thing had a strange mid 90s shot on VHS feel and the CGI was poor, even by TV standards. The script was good if not exactly all that good and many of the one liners felt forced. Colson standing in the dark was a neat way to introduce him again but it wasn't funny and felt like one of those contrived Whedon situations set up simply for a cheap gag.

Clarke Gregg is the only aspect of the show that truly worked. I've never understood the fan affection for Coulson and his death in the Avengers did absolutely nothing for me and the way it's used doesn't ring true. After all why should Thor or Captain America care about one person they met for 5 minutes over the hundreds of millions of people whose lives are in danger? I'm hoping that away from the hustle and bustle of the big stars we'll see Gregg get a lot more to do and it's obvious that his resurrection is going to play a huge part in the series.

The whole gods vs. humans theme isn't one that I'm particularly interested in and the way that the show used it again and again is something I'd like to see abandoned. It's obvious that were won't be seeing Thor or Captain America in the series, well we may get cameos around the time that the their films hit theaters but that'll be the extent of it. With that in mind it would be interesting to see the show explore some different avenues to the films. A much more grounded approach to the concept of super heroes would be quite interesting, films such as Super and Special explored something similar though I don't see AoS going anywhere as dark but that's not to say that they can't explore what it is for a normal human to posses such power. It was hinted at in the pilot, all the talk of an origin story but it discarded in favor of some cheap looking set pieces.

Cobie Smulders must be rubbing her hands in glee as it's clear she's going to be coming on boards full time once HIMYM ends this year. Walking from one smash hit to another is a pretty sweet set up and if it does go ahead I hope that they don't do something as bland as killing of a major character as looking at the cast it would most likely be Ming-Na Wen and I have to admit that it's refreshing to have a show give a 50 year old woman a whole lot of scenes to kick ass. Her character and Coulson are a great contrast to one another and I can see it becoming one of the shows most interesting relationships. Speaking of relationships the less we get of Fitz and Simmons the better. Their bumbling Laurel and Hardy double team isn't funny or interesting and I can see it starting to grate rather quickly. It 's pretty much Topher from Dollhouse only twice as irritating.

I know it sounds like I hated the pilot but I didn't. It was an easy way to pass 42 minutes and there's a whole lot of potential there but there's nothing there that justifies all the rave reviews. It could quite easily develop into a show that does become a genuinely great piece of cinema but the pilot was the very definition of throw away fluff that's quickly forgotten. It's the kind of show you'll enjoy as you watch it but will have forgotten all about it an hour later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

entertaining enough but way worse then the first ep, dialogue was very forced and everything heavily signposted and spelled out

another saturday evening kids show in weekday primetime aimed at adults?

but its not under the dome or revolution bad, I'll watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not a bad 2nd episode. Great (and unexpected) cameo at the end - hopefully it opens the doors for other movie characters to make an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Other than Coulson, the rest of the characters are pretty crap. Hopefully, they'll start to improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

groovie wrote: »
    Plot is poor, the 'bad guys' are poor, the flying car, are you ****in' kidding me? Is this show aimed at 10 year olds?.
    Essentially yes, While adults watch these shows (I enjoy watching Spiderman at the weekend) it's aimed at children and restricted in what it can show and of course the makers know children will accept just about anything put in front of them.

Advertisement