Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

If season 6 does go ahead, I'd like to see a shorter epsiode count, maybe 13, using the full budget of 22, and bill it as the final season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In this day and age 22 episodes is a quickly ageing beast anyway. I'd speculate that's the most likely scenario, definitely the best compromise from a studio a bit hesitant to keep a show going: 13 episodes to make the most of the budget & wrap things up properly with one last hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Most series seem to be designed for 5 seasons anyway.
    This seems to be the benefactor of failures. The ratings are probably not always great but newer series keep getting cancelled and so SHIELD benefits. Now if they gave them the budget from the cancelled shows, like Inhumans, it would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Most series seem to be designed for 5 seasons anyway.
    This seems to be the benefactor of failures. The ratings are probably not always great but newer series keep getting cancelled and so SHIELD benefits. Now if they gave them the budget from the cancelled shows, like Inhumans, it would be great

Friday night is often a graveyard but so is moving a show to another night I gave up on Gotham when it moved to Thursday but I still catch up on reviews, Once Upon a Time was another I tried to stay with but again moving it made that difficult. Hope Shield get another season at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,061 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ooooh my brain is falling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Would you still watch without Coulson, I'd be curious to see the first few episodes if it goes that way, but seeing the chaos while Hale had him locked up it would be carnage on screen, May would make a good leader but there's something about Clark Gregg going all the way back to him in Iron Man he's just great on screen he's hard to get tired of.

Would you still watch without Coulson, I'd be curious to see the first few episodes if it goes that way, but seeing the chaos while Hale had him locked up it would be carnage on screen, May would make a good leader but there's something about Clark Gregg going all the way back to him in Iron Man he's just great on screen he's hard to get tired of.
    They'd have to do a "Jeffrey Mace" on it and have a different Official leader. Someone actually calling the shots and making decisions. Daisy's Secret Warriors team was more led by Lincoln tbh. Daisy is fine enough at following orders and maybe deviating but she cant lead as a character and I doubt Bennet could either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

For me it would be a bit like when Steve Carell left The US Office. I’d watch the first few out of curiosity, but the show would simply not be the same without him. If the show does get another season, I think they will keep Coulson around and postpone him having to die, with S6 essentially being a long goodbye.

kerplun k wrote: »
    For me it would be a bit like when Steve Carell left The US Office. I’d watch the first few out of curiosity, but the show would simply not be the same without him. If the show does get another season, I think they will keep Coulson around and postpone him having to die, with S6 essentially being a long goodbye.

Tbf he did die already actually since he returned to the present so that clause could be a simple get out of jail card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Instead of risking their lives believing they can't die because of time and all, Why not just try destroying Fitz's penknife that Deke has.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Instead of risking their lives believing they can't die because of time and all, Why not just try destroying Fitz's penknife that Deke has.

hey...that penknife could be the very thing that saves them!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh for the love of flapjacks!

:D

Also:
    Damn Hydra, You evil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Len_007

Surely having the Son of Coul turn up in Captain Marvel is the best way to advertise this show? This would be the reason alone to commission a season six so that the bucket load of punters coming out of the theater (many of whom may not have even seen Avengers 1 given it would be 7 years old at that point) might be interested in seeing what Phil is up to on the small screen??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Len_007 wrote: »
    Surely having the Son of Coul turn up in Captain Marvel is the best way to advertise this show? This would be the reason alone to commission a season six so that the bucket load of punters coming out of the theater (many of whom may not have even seen Avengers 1 given it would be 7 years old at that point) might be interested in seeing what Phil is up to on the small screen??

They'd be halfway through season 6 by the time it comes out though.

Unless they deferred it to start in Spring.

Really didn't think much of this week's one.

The cheapness of the sets was pretty blatant in the forest scene.

Dove Cameron's plastic surgery really did a number on her. Her face looks ludicrous.
    Poor lamb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gbear wrote: »
    Really didn't think much of this week's one.

Dove Cameron's plastic surgery really did a number on her. Her face looks ludicrous.
    Poor lamb.

It really is a show that's spending all it's money on wages not sets, and if it's not spending money on sets it's not spending money

Clareman wrote: »
    It really is a show that's spending all it's money on wages not sets, and if it's not spending money on sets it's not spending money

They’re probably saving as much of the budget for the end of it. Shame to see such an awesome show being stripped of their budget.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really enjoyed Coulson giving out that using Robin was cheating :)
    Gbear wrote: »
    The set where Fitz and Simmons were pinned down looked very like a redressing of the set where the Gladiator-esque fights were held in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

ixoy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Coulson giving out that using Robin was cheating :)

The set where Fitz and Simmons were pinned down looked very like a redressing of the set where the Gladiator-esque fights were held in the future.

The sets and locations in this episode in particular showed up how badly their budget has been affected

FitzSimmons were supposed to be in the Uk and the exterior shots were blatantly not UK looking in the slightest

And as mentioned the interior shots were very clearly sets they had used earlier, I was thinking the rock breaking work area but could easily be the arena

Reusing sets in a show makes sense and normally wouldn't be a problem if the entirety of this years show hadn't take place in the same 4 or 5 rooms

Still though, budget/set quibbles aside the show is still great

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The worst set so far was the outside/snow scene. It looked like the sets they had in season one, ie really fake. They could have went anywhere, there was no need to have it there just for the sake of having it there. Quite silly really.

Daaaaaaaaaamn Yoyo. That was grim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Damn.
    and then it looks like maybe it didn't matter.. maybe it's just part of it all and then Aliens (skrull?) might come along to destory the earth anyway?

still 4 more episodes!

DON'T FIND OUT THE EPISODE TITLES!

This series seems to be leveraging the fact that we "know" what's going to happen to just deliver a string of fakeouts. It feels a bit unsubstantial.

I kinda feel like it's running out of steam a bit. Budget issues were well handled when they had no reason to be anywhere other than a small area, but the middle plot thread after they got back from futurespace has been a bit wheel-spinney and threadbare.

The actors are still delivering, so that's the main thing.

Hopefully they'll loosen the reins a bit for the run in and the show can go out with a bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Len_007

Von Strucker's face though wha?!

And Yo-yo's "I'm so angry and ALWAYS right, so never listen" shtick pulls an ace yet again. FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭pah

There's just no way they're are going to be 2 seperate ELE's going on in the MCU at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

pah wrote: »
    There's just no way they're are going to be 2 seperate ELE's going on in the MCU at the same time.

Would think the only time they could do an obvious alien arrival is when the Avengers are distracted elsewhere. There is always suspension of disbelief, but in my view they’ve generally done pretty well throughout the movies and TV shows to set them up so you can excuse when other heroes don’t appear and the others battling Thanos could definitely give cover for a ship to make it in unnoticed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah the big problem with these visions/prophecy plots it that with a 22 episode season you can easily stray into the realm of stalling and wheel spinning.

The show is getting by, when the story falters, by sheer dint of its cast. As ever they rise to the occasion and sell all the drama, comedy and bits in between. The plot wasn't a total bust though, I quite liked how the Talbot subplot somewhat undercut what seemed like an obvious conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Len_007 wrote: »
    Von Strucker's face though wha?!
    It was very well done
    pah wrote: »
    One of my favourite episodes of Buffy was when the main team (MCU in this case) where fighting the end of the world as a subplot to Xander (MCU TV) fighting the end of the world in what should have been a side plot. It can work if done well, the next few episodes will reveal all. I imagine it will turn out to be a noon event for everyone else in the MCU.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah the big problem with these visions/prophecy plots it that with a 22 episode season you can easily stray into the realm of stalling and wheel spinning.

The show is getting by, when the story falters, by sheer dint of its cast. As ever they rise to the occasion and sell all the drama, comedy and bits in between. The plot wasn't a total bust though, I quite liked how the Talbot subplot somewhat undercut what seemed like an obvious conclusion.
    Disappointed that he didnt pull the trigger, on one of them. Would have given more punch in the shows last few episodes.

Advertisement