Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One thing I liked amid the Talbot craziness and MCU non tie in, was the little aside between Piper and ... Davis I think? The only two members of SHIELD not in the main cast anyway, and the casual brushing aside of Davis' apparent surviving of death last season - but that nobody cared enough to ask how he did. It has always been weird how much screentime these 2 got, yet with no development or payoff. They were still charismatic enough, and had that outsiders perspective that made their apparent death in season 4 a genuine disappointment. Glad they're still alive and honestly worried the most about them during the siege.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

According to Adrian Pasdar, there will be tie ins to the latest Avengers film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

pixelburp wrote: »
    One thing I liked amid the Talbot craziness and MCU non tie in, was the little aside between Piper and ... Davis I think? The only two members of SHIELD not in the main cast anyway, and the casual brushing aside of Davis' apparent surviving of death last season - but that nobody cared enough to ask how he did. It has always been weird how much screentime these 2 got, yet with no development or payoff. They were still charismatic enough, and had that outsiders perspective that made their apparent death in season 4 a genuine disappointment. Glad they're still alive and honestly worried the most about them during the siege.

Yeah I like them. And always smile when I see Piper elsewhere like the DEO in Supergirl and one of the groups in Walking Dead. They are pretty much glorified redshirts so do worry for them. This worry was pretty much justified in the latest episode where we had one or 2 of the main cast wandering the corridor with a non main cast member, only for the non main cast members to die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah I like them. And always smile when I see Piper elsewhere like the DEO in Supergirl and one of the groups in Walking Dead. They are pretty much glorified redshirts so do worry for them. This worry was pretty much justified in the latest episode where we had one or 2 of the main cast wandering the corridor with a non main cast member, only for the non main cast members to die.

I can't think of another TV show that has dedicated 'red shirts', who have some semblance of characterisation or presence, but not part of the main cast, or even the credits. When Piper turned up in season 4 and started yakking away I was sure she'd become a new 'main' character, but nope.

I remember Chuck had recurring extras. So everyone knew them to see but they never talked and were never credited.
    Or Mouse in Prisoner Cell Block H. Any time she turned up you knew something big was going to happen.

Star Trek Discovery is a strange one as well with the consistent bridge crew who aren't main characters but get speaking roles. Unlike Next Generation where if Data had to leave the controls, some random person would take his place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,835 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Infinity War tie in on this week's episode.

For those of us who haven't seen Infinity War yet (the team-up films don't really interest me that much; Civil War the exception), does the tie-in spoil anything?

Or is it another 'tie in' by way of lip service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

For those of us who haven't seen Infinity War yet (the team-up films don't really interest me that much; Civil War the exception), does the tie-in spoil anything?

Lip Service.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Lip Service.

Ha, should have known; it'd be some cheek that after 5 seasons of bluff and false promises, on the cusp of a potential cancellation, that Agents would suddenly embrace the original claim of being intimately connected with the MCU.

Ha, should have known; it'd be some cheek that after 5 seasons of bluff and false promises, on the cusp of a potential cancellation, that Agents would suddenly embrace the original claim of being intimately connected with the MCU.

Well the lip service concerned the "present" if you will (by present I mean say the middle of Infinity War). The next two episodes may well show the ramifications of the ending of Infinity War.

• Advertisement

Right, but does the lip service spoil anything specific from Infinity War? Just worried about watching the latest episode and through a glib comment, discovering the Marvel Zombies universe is suddenly in the MCU or whatnot...

Even if they wanted to they wouldn't be able/allowed to spoiler anything really by doing so in an episode of AoS that would spoil the Infinity War film itself especially as it is running in the same timeline. (A lot of people may not have seen the film yet.)

The Infinity War spoilers should not be spoiled anywhere outside of people seeing the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They had spoilers for Civil War; ie, Shield being infiltrated by Hydra, and they were roughly contemporaneous, weren't they?

I think you're talking of Winter Soldier; the biggest 'crossover' if you will came in Season 1, around the time of the first Captain America sequel, with the big twist that Hydra had effectively taken control of SHIELD. Agents... took that reveal and ran with it, first with the surprise of Ward being evil, before basically building its prime arc - and a bunch more in future seasons. Looking back it was definitely the point where the show saved itself from certain cancellation.

Gbear wrote: »
    They had spoilers for Civil War; ie, Shield being infiltrated by Hydra, and they were roughly contemporaneous, weren't they?

Not really.

Don't read if you haven't seen Infinity War!
    Infinity War ends on a cliffhanger and is also the end of 10 years of cinematic storytelling that will be resolved next year and half the Universes population has been wiped out if AoS gave that away and people found that out in an episode of TV instead of the film what's the point of the film. It would be ok if this happens in the final episode of the season of AoS which may still happen as the the last two episodes may happen with in a couple of hours timeframe of this episode.

Right, but does the lip service spoil anything specific from Infinity War? Just worried about watching the latest episode and through a glib comment, discovering the Marvel Zombies universe is suddenly in the MCU or whatnot...

No.

I'll tag what it was in this episode just to avoid a card but its really nothing, unless you don't know there is an MCU at all its not gunna be a suprise.
    A character is simply told (and then repeats to another) that "Thanos is attacking Earth".

Nothing more or less.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

To keep this as simple as it needs to be, if you know the basics of Infinity War as in who the bad guy is and have seen any trailer then you are fine watching this. Its a simple mention of a name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Not really.

Don't read if you haven't seen Infinity War!

I meant Winter Soldier, but yeah it'll be the same thing in principle. If they were happy to spoil one, they might spoil the other.

Vague Infinity War Spoilers:
    We don't even really need to know exactly what happened - you can just have some people disappear. It could happen off screen and just have people confused about where Mac, Fitz and Piper have gotten to, and not get into what actually happened ever if its cancelled or next season, if its not. Maybe they resolve this plot and then the end is "Alright this is some weird ****, lets get on to the Avengers" - dramatic irony ensues. They have options to do it without being too overt.

It has to be dealt with at some stage if the series goes beyond the events of IW. It's just a question how long they give everyone to see it.

If it's the last episode of the season, they've given everyone a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The name Thanos means nothing to Talbot or anyone else as they're all out of the loop as far as present goings on are concerned this episode seems to run parallel with Infinity War not after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

The way I see it, we have two possibilities, 1.), either the penultimate episode or the season finale go all in with the Infinity War storyline or, 2.) they distance themselves from it and the universe of AoS. makes a definitive break with movie MCU,

• Advertisement

IF there is going to be a season 6, there's one option re. continuity that'd work; just fling the SHIELD scooby gang into another universe. One where they figure their presence will benefit, perhaps the Avengers dont exist, and decide to stay. Problem solved, side stepping all the continuity problems and allowing SHIELD to develop its own universe of Marvel properties. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think the Infinity War tie in is more going to be in the next episode. This felt just like mentioning who the baddie in the trailer is.

I'd say the next episode or two would have more of a chance of giving away what happens in Infinity War.

The tie in between this episode and Infinity War
    feels like it just kicked off round about the start where the ship arrived over New York / are in Scotland.

They have at least 1 day.. cos.. (tldr: timezones):
    (daylight in New York + nighttime in Scotland) means day 1 .. then the big battle was (daylight in Wakanda) so that is at least day 2

Anyway.. aside from that.. don't look up the names of the coming episodes! :o

As for this episode..
    Yoyo and Fitz / Simmons on Earth.. has me thinking there'll be the whole big thing about saving Coulson.

What's going on with Talbot.. he looks so familiar in his new makeup.. like I've seen the look somewhere before but not sure if it's not Dr Strange throwing me off.

and this episode end + infinity war:
    I don't think Talbot would be able for Thanos.. he'd be vulnerable to the timestone

What I do wonder is if he might send Coulson back / forward in time or something

For the Winter Soldier tie in, the episode with Ward's turn aired 4 days after the film was released in the States so they didn't give much time to watch it before spoiling the twist in the series. We got the film a week earlier so we had more time.
    Infinity War was released a week earlier than originally planned in the States, so could be why it just gets a vague reference this week. And the fact they did reference it means that (Infinity War Spoilers)
    if nothing happens anyone in the next episode or 2, it would seem stupid how they all escaped.

So is it me or did they quickly forgive Fitz for what he did?

And how could Coulson not have suspected Talbot was going to be evil? He has classic evil goatee

He has classic evil goatee
    :D

So is it me or did they quickly forgive Fitz for what he did?

Fitz and Yoyo got grief. I can't remember if Simmons did but she was being left to do her bit.

My guess is that it's a case of It all happening too fast to be resolved just right now.

I don't mean the thing with them heading off. I mean the fact he went Hydra Fitz and cut Daisy's neck open to remove the implant, resulting in him being locked in the cell. So he escaped to go off with Simmons and Yoyo and when he gets back they forget they had him locked up?

But yeah i guess he's of more use being free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Len_007

IF there is going to be a season 6, there's one option re. continuity that'd work; just fling the SHIELD scooby gang into another universe. One where they figure their presence will benefit, perhaps the Avengers dont exist, and decide to stay. Problem solved, side stepping all the continuity problems and allowing SHIELD to develop its own universe of Marvel properties. ..

Yes, Ghost Rider could show up and make that happen, as Coulson still had to pay his dues.
    Or, time travel to the PAST can’t be out of the question either, as technically this season was future and present.

Ah who knows, sure we’ll find out soon enough :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It doesn't explicitly spoil the film, but the entire season is basically tied into the film:
    The only reason the future happens is because of the involvement of the Confederacy who were mercenaries to protect earth. That deal went sideways, allowing Cassius to take over because of Talbot's actions in response to the threat of Thanos.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Okay, with 1 episode left to go I'm now wondering if they're going to incorporate 'Avengers: Infinity War' based on renewal or not:
    If it gets renewed, they tack on a final scene dealing with Thanos's finger click

Seems the most likely way to go.

They referenced the Avengers again in this one. I think they'll incorporate it.

Some good scenes in that episode.
    At first when Daisy broke out of the virtual world, I thought that was gonna be the episode scene
    Then there was the Hotlips
    :D
    and the kiss behind the shield
    Then the missiles turning back on the ship.. good baddie reaction too

Overall, not bad :)

I get the feeling that they've been saving up their cash for these last few episodes.

• Advertisement

Inhumans has officially been cancelled. Apparently the only show tbc is this.

Advertisement