Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kicking myself I didn't think off that twist tbh :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was great! Would have worked well as a series finale too.

What twist? Daisy taking the centipede serum?

(Infinity War spoiler):
    I was sure that on that shot of Coulson walking off the jet with everyone standing in the background that
    some of them would have vanished
    . :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr E wrote: »
    That was great! Would have worked well as a series finale too.

What twist? Daisy taking the centipede serum?

(Infinity War spoiler):
    I was sure that on that shot of Coulson walking off the jet with everyone standing in the background that
    some of them would have vanished
    . :)

The twist that Fitz (the version of him who froze himself in order to get to the future) is still frozen out there somewhere, but since he no longer needs to get to the future, they can find him and wake him up, and it won't break the timeline because they've discovered they weren't stuck in a time loop like they thought.

A great way to bring him back, though given he'll now never have experienced what he did this season, including marrying Gemma, could make an interesting story. Plus it meant his death still had the impact it needed.

Penn wrote: »
    The twist that Fitz (the version of him who froze himself in order to get to the future) is still frozen out there somewhere, but since he no longer needs to get to the future, they can find him and wake him up, and it won't break the timeline because they've discovered they weren't stuck in a time loop like they thought.

A great way to bring him back, though given he'll now never have experienced what he did this season, including marrying Gemma, could make an interesting story. Plus it meant his death still had the impact it needed.

More importantly he might never end up experiencing his worst trauma

ab1345e81155c37c034a6859f19c2f4e.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

IW
    It's kinda a pity they mentioned the fight in New York or Thanos at all now. If they just hadn't, they could've pretended like it happened a week before IW.

Then, address whatever happened, vis a vis snaps, next season if they got one, or now that it'll be coming out after Avengers 4, just ignore it because I presume they're going to time travel it away and nobody will ever know.

Great episode. Dunno what next season will hold. It really would've worked as the end of the show.

Presumably they'll be spending an episode or 2 finding Fitz, but from there, I dunno where they go. They'll have to get back to Earth to find a villain, and they've just mopped up anyone that was left dangling from previous seasons.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    IW
    It's kinda a pity they mentioned the fight in New York or Thanos at all now. If they just hadn't, they could've pretended like it happened a week before IW.

Then, address whatever happened, vis a vis snaps, next season if they got one, or now that it'll be coming out after Avengers 4, just ignore it because I presume they're going to time travel it away and nobody will ever know.

Great episode. Dunno what next season will hold. It really would've worked as the end of the show.

Presumably they'll be spending an episode or 2 finding Fitz, but from there, I dunno where they go. They'll have to get back to Earth to find a villain, and they've just mopped up anyone that was left dangling from previous seasons.

I'd be tempted to think this is a good sign and that we may actually get more seasons or have they said the 6th IS the final? The MCU is undergoing big changes after A4 so they could keep AoS going with completely new material. Post A4 could be new eras for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to think this is a good sign and that we may actually get more seasons or have they said the 6th IS the final? The MCU is undergoing big changes after A4 so they could keep AoS going with completely new material. Post A4 could be new eras for both.

Are they going to keep sending them to space to explain why they don't interact with other superheroes?
    You can usually explain that away with the films because they usually take place over one day, and presumably the rest of the time the Avengers are off fighting baddies together, but 22 episode seasons break the credibility of that.

I suppose ending it without killing them all doesn't fix that either, really, but you can pretend they're doing something more easily if you don't know what it is.

I do like the show, but I hope it doesn't run itself into the ground. 5 1/2 long ass seasons is a great run for any show.

Perhaps you're right, but getting only half a season and dropping two of the biggest characters signals that they're winding it down to me.
    Without Gregg, I can't see it maintaining or improving ratings to the extent where they bring it back again in its current format.

Maybe they'll start a new show once Disney's platform launches, and having a few characters carried over would start it off with some momentum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Good episode to wrap things up and played out pretty much as I expected apart from the serum twist. One thing I thought was disappointing was how they didnt refer to Deke at all after the last point we saw him talking to Daisy.

A long wait till the next season but I think the 13 episodes will be its final run and the storyline will reflect that with cameos as i said previously from Mockingbird and Hunter, getting lost in Space Fitz and then hopefully just fully wind it down with us knowing AoS are still out there saving the day but the show is done. Its been a great show but theres a time to wind down great shows down rather than drag them to death and i think AoS is at that point where it could have bowed out this season as a great show. Any more beyond the 13 episodes just risks doing damage or taking away from how great it has been.

Are they going to keep sending them to space to explain why they don't interact with other superheroes?
    You can usually explain that away with the films because they usually take place over one day, and presumably the rest of the time the Avengers are off fighting baddies together, but 22 episode seasons break the credibility of that.

I suppose ending it without killing them all doesn't fix that either, really, but you can pretend they're doing something more easily if you don't know what it is.

I do like the show, but I hope it doesn't run itself into the ground. 5 1/2 long ass seasons is a great run for any show.

Perhaps you're right, but getting only half a season and dropping two of the biggest characters signals that they're winding it down to me.
    Without Gregg, I can't see it maintaining or improving ratings to the extent where they bring it back again in its current format.

Maybe they'll start a new show once Disney's platform launches, and having a few characters carried over would start it off with some momentum.

Basically what I was thinking. Maybe keep Fitz, Simmons, Piper and Davis. Coulson, May, Daisy are done that era is over. We know from Infinity War post credits that Fury has been doing somethings still. Maybe a new S.H.I.E.L.D organisation to co-ordinate with Danvers and Earth or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A spin off of S.H.I.E.L.D with a S.W.O.R.D series using the help of the new character introduced in the post credit scene in IW to lead into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

You know what, that was
    Magical
    :) It was a good wrap up and would've served fine as series finale if the renewal hadn't come in.

Winning moments:
    • Started with Coulson and Daisy when he said to either find the strength in her heart or, if not, to find the strength in her arms. It was good and funny on it's own but now thinking back it was a nod to the secret weapon they had
      :)
    • Daisy almost dieing had me in a Feels moments. Then I was like.. phew! .. also.. aaahhh!
    • Fitz dieing definitely had me in feels. Cos like Simmons not being their. Mac and May being in that powerless moment. Then later the idea that past-Fitz is still around and they might get him. That's gonna be an in-your-head episode later!
    • Coulson stepping off onto the beach! I grinned immediately. Good nod to Tahiti! It's a magical place!

For Infinity Wars..
    my guess is the first episode of next season will either jump ahead in time and much will have been resolved or it'll be straight away and panic mode!

If there was a new
    Organisation.. and Mac is in charge.. could there not be something related to a shotgun.. or an axe.. or even a SHOTGUN AXE
    :D
    involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would've been happy for them to just leave it there.

Happy as I was that they find a way to
    keep Fitz in it, he's still dead. But the way they were acting is just as if he was sick. "Ah he's dead but we have a backup Fitz ready to go"

And did Deke blink out of existence or is he still around as a remnant from that timeline that the others seems to remember?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And did Deke blink out of existence or is he still around as a remnant from that timeline that the others seems to remember?

He talks about leaving earlier in the episode so the writes left it ambiguous whether he leaves or disappeared. They said they wanted to just leave it that way as a talking point for people. Would have preferred they gave a definitive answer and had it in the wrap up if that was going to be the last episode.

k0tgpxu33ry01.jpg

First and last shot of season 5......these cute hoors they literally told us the ending months ago.

I wonder how many of those early season drawings will now click into place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Didn’t think it was great at all. Too many death fake outs.

It seemed to be suggested that the person who toook the serum would need to be absorbed by graviton for it to affect him. So that whole scene with Daisy taking it was to me a fake out death scene. Giving her super strength to knock him into space was not a good way to end a decent villain for me.

Then a big sad scene around Fitz. Oh wait he’s still in space. Clever but again felt like a takeout. The in memorial scene just compounded it.

At this point I’m not convinced that Coulson won’t be back somehow. Which I’d be perfectly fine with, but that would be the third fake out in one episode.

Was fine with their being no IW tie in but think they should have signalled it in the publicity just to curb expectations.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Didn’t think it was great at all. Too many death fake outs.

It seemed to be suggested that the person who toook the serum would need to be absorbed by graviton for it to affect him. So that whole scene with Daisy taking it was to me a fake out death scene. Giving her super strength to knock him into space was not a good way to end a decent villain for me.

The original plan was for the serum to be combined with the odium (black Kree stuff) and injected into Talbot, or at a push for someone to take it and have him absorb them and get it into his system that way. But it was the odium combined with the serum that would have killed Talbot. Once the odium was smashed, getting it into Talbot was no longer possible anyway. The serum wouldn't have done anything to him. But it enabled Daisy to not be absorbed and to shoot him into space.

Deke should be around still, they are all time anomalies having experience and memories of the none existent future. Deke is no different to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why did coulson get better?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

He didn’t get better. He just “man’ed up” for a few minutes to get them moving. He said at the end he only had days or a week left. He didn’t take the thing he put it in Daisy’s gauntlet things .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It really would've worked as the end of the show.
    It really looked like a finale alright and I suspect it was. I don't think they were expecting another run.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ye it looked liked a series finale to me as well.

Clark Gregg's contract is up as well and he has said he will sit down soon with the producers to see if he will return next season and in what role as regular or guest.
    "I have a meeting with [executive producers] Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen and the showrunners and I know there is some interest in having me involved in this 13-episode season six. I don't know in what form that will take, whether that will be flashbacks or hopefully some sexy dreams that Melinda May is having. [Laughs.] That would be nice. But that's all I know so far. There is some desire that is going to be explained to me but it's why this finale is so deep and emotional.

"I knew by then that this was really a farewell to that character and his life. It was also before we knew anything about whether or not we were picked up so the scene where he is saying goodbye to people was a scene that we couldn't even rehearse or read aloud successfully. We just had to figure out where we were going to stand and start shooting it because it was just so emotional for me and everybody there."

https://screenrant.com/agents-shield-clark-gregg-coulson-season-6-return/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally got to see this 'last' episode, and I dunno, it was a very mixed bag. Rushed in many respects, and included too many death fake-outs for my liking - although that was balanced by the heartfelt & emotional character moments; for all intents and purposes this definitely ran like a series end, with the earnest goodbyes to match. If you didn't get a little misty eyed when Coulson and Daisy hugged, you're made of stone, their quasi father-daughter relationship capped off nicely.

As for Infinity War, I don't think it's a huge spoiler to just say that the finale doesn't touch on it at all; it seems fitting that while the show struggled to properly coexist in this supposed 'shared universe' (broad strokes such as Hydra infiltrating SHIELD notwithstanding), it grew way beyond those limitations, and it would have undercut the ending had the cinematic universe been a part of this send-off. In the end this made the finale more impactful by letting it just be about this cast, as it was these specific characters we ultimately tuned in for - not some marketing crossover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I had tears in my eyes at Fitz's death. I had forgotten about the frozen version of him. Stupid time travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Blazer wrote: »
    I had tears in my eyes at Fitz's death. I had forgotten about the frozen version of him. Stupid time travel.

This. So, the Fitz that came back and has been with us since the time travel is not the original Fitz? When did the original Fitz leave? This is slightly confusing me...

This. So, the Fitz that came back and has been with us since the time travel is not the original Fitz? When did the original Fitz leave? This is slightly confusing me...

Kinda the "Original" Fitz (as you call him) the one that just got out of The Framework, never really left with them. The rest of the team was taken without this Fitz by Enoch to the monolith and flung forward in time to the Lighthouse.

This "Original" Fitz then found Enoch thanks to Hunter breaking him out from where Hale was keeping him. Enoch then froze him and eventually got him to the future as "Boshtok the Marauder" by simply waiting that long.

When the team then came back thanks to Flint they came back with this "Boshtok"/"once-Frozen" Fitz. The "Original" Fitz was (and is) now floating around frozen with Enoch waiting to get to the future Lighthouse.

We get Enoch back too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

He didn’t get better. He just “man’ed up” for a few minutes to get them moving.

and then he collapsed and then got better again.
    He said at the end he only had days or a week left.
    but somehow looked fine when before he had been struggling to stand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

drugs? i dunno i didnt write it haha, im just saying what was said in the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So... Fitz exits his little sleep chamber at a fixed time or they can get him anytime?
    is he sleeping off planet?

• Advertisement

and then he collapsed and then got better again.

but somehow looked fine when before he had been struggling to stand.

He collapsed on the Zephyr and it took YoYo superspeed-CPRing him to bring him back. It's given him a bit more time (like they said, a few days or weeks), but it pulled him back from the edge of death enough (then likely coupled with meds from Simmons) to give him that extra time.
    So... Fitz exits his little sleep chamber at a fixed time or they can get him anytime?
    is he sleeping off planet?

They're off-planet. I don't think they know where exactly though so I don't think it's a case of just going to get him whenever, they'll need to track him down. Most of that will likely be done off-screen between seasons though.

Advertisement