Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What title do you bestow upon the in-laws?

• 29-08-2012 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

An argument has reemerged between myself and the in-laws. I was at home with my daughter the other day and my wife was at work. Her folks popped around and at one stage I got her dads attention by calling him by his name.

At the time nothing was said but when he left he rang my wife, his daughter, and all hell broke loose. He felt it was disrespectful and showed a complete lack of respect to him by me.

I must point out that I am married to a foreign national and as such this arose in the past as it is usually the done thing within my wife's culture to call her parents 'mam & 'dad'.

I don't feel comfortable doing this and my wife doesn't call my parents by anything other than their names. I have never expected her to and I don't know anyone of our generation that does call the in-laws by those titles.

Anyway, what I am asking is, what do you people of after hours address the in-laws as, and have you ever run into any problems in doing so?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Do you live in their country or them in yours?

Either way what a gob****e to call his daughter to give out. I would refuse too, as much as I really get on with the inlaws there is no way I'm calling them mum&dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

From now on, only address him as 'Sir' or Mr <surname>.

Under no circumstances call him 'Dad'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Maybe you could call him 'Daddy' in a very suggestive manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I don't have any in-laws, not being married, but i call the womans parents by their first names.

Her mother doesn't mind. Her fathers face twitch every time!

Truly smirk-worthy. The whole titles thing is archaic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

I live in theirs. I understand I am in their country and as such should adjust myself to customs of the country I am living in, but at the same time some customs I will just not adhere to. This being one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Call him Mummy, mess with his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

Out of interest what country are you living in?

I've lived in Thailand now for 5 years and my girlfriend's mother lives with us. I have always called her Yai-Odd which translates into Granny Odd if I called her Odd it would be seen as very disrespectful. I can get away with calling Yai Odd as she is a grandmother. I would have a lot of difficulty calling her Ma-Odd so I can understand your point of view I would stick to your guns. I am sure there is something else you can use to address them a bit more formally.

I'm in China. Been here for years now. Th only thing that seems that will suffice is either Dad/Father or Dad/Father-in-law. But I don't feel I should have to bow to his demands, as such. In China, people call you either by;

1. TITLE: Boss, Father/Mother, Uncle/Aunt etc

or

2. NICKNAME

or

3. FULL NAME: John Smith, Jane Smith

That's pretty much it for the most part. So I have a choice of 3. Not comfortable doing No.1, seems I am not allowed do number 2, and I don't think I would get away with doing number 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Given that you are in a different country it is more then just in-laws being fussy. It is obviously cultural and there is a precedence. And perhaps what you called them is quite rude in this country.

I would be uncomfortable address anyone but my parents as "Mum & Dad".

Perhaps you were too informal. How do you address other people of their age? Is there a lot of formality in the workplace?, etc.

Is there a compromise? Would they be happy being called Mr. & Mrs?

I'm sure this can be resolved as obviously they can see there is a cultural differences between you and that you are from somewhere that does things differently to the way they are done in this country.

bytesize wrote: »
    I'm in China. Been here for years now. Th only thing that seems that will suffice is either Dad/Father or Dad/Father-in-law. But I don't feel I should have to bow to his demands, as such. In China, people call you either by;

or

2. NICKNAME

or

That's pretty much it for the most part. So I have a choice of 3. Not comfortable doing No.1, seems I am not allowed do number 2, and I don't think I would get away with doing number 3.

I think it is fair enough to address your Father in law as "Father in law". I would not be able to call my Father in law "Father" or "Dad" though! That's just wierd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I have two son in laws and a daughter in law. For me its whatever they feel comfortable calling me the two son in laws call me by my first name but the daughter in law calls me dad.
    It amazes me a supposed adult would get upset over this sort of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Bytesize fought the law, and the, law won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Tell him that in your country he'd be referred to as a gobshyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Is your father in law Bishop Len Brennan?

Given that you are in a different country it is more then just in-laws being fussy. It is obviously cultural and there is a precedence. And perhaps what you called them is quite rude in this country.

I would be uncomfortable address anyone but my parents as "Mum & Dad".

Perhaps you were too informal. How do you address other people of their age? Is there a lot of formality in the workplace?, etc.

Is there a compromise? Would they be happy being called Mr. & Mrs?

I'm sure this can be resolved as obviously they can see there is a cultural differences between you and that you are from somewhere that does things differently to the way they are done in this country.

I understand about cultural differences, as I have stated above. It isn't that what I address him as is rude, it's just that he wants to be called father. He is not my dad and therefore will not be addressed as such, culture or no culture.

I am trying to work out a compromise, but things are a bit heated at the moment. When this flared up it brought out other problems he seemingly has with us.

I have always wznted to start a blog/website dipicting the many many stories/arguments/fights/culture clashes that have happened over the years. Some of them are quite amusing while others are just plain annoying. I should have started them as most have been forgotten at this stage. Maybe this will get things going :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Calling them "mum and dad" is weird. I sometimes take the piss out of my wife and tell her I'm going to start calling my mother in law "mum" (yeah, I'm hilarious). It's just weird calling them that.
    What country is it? Can you explain that it's creepy in our country? Would even Mr. *Surname* be ok? Bit formal, but better than "dad".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

or

2. NICKNAME

or

Tee hee hee *snigers*

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

depends, i call his parents by their full first name, but we don't have a close relationship,

on the other hand we get along fantastically with his uncle so i refer to him as uncle *abbreviated first name*.

i wouldn't use his official title, or his full first name, i abbreviate it, aka michael = mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cienciano wrote: »
    What country is it?

He later mentioned he's in China.

Certain words in Chinese (and Japanese, both I'm learning at the mo') are spelt the same way - but if pronounced different, also have different meanings.
    Maybe this complicates things - or maybe eases them?

Call them Dougal and Mrs. Doyle and say they're respectful old Irish titles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Call him "de other bollix".
    Explain to them that its Irish for Dad/Father in law.
    Before you know it the whole family will refer to him as such.

I understand about cultural differences, as I have stated above. It isn't that what I address him as is rude, it's just that he wants to be called father. He is not my dad and therefore will not be addressed as such, culture or no culture.

I am trying to work out a compromise, but things are a bit heated at the moment. When this flared up it brought out other problems he seemingly has with us.

I have always wznted to start a blog/website dipicting the many many stories/arguments/fights/culture clashes that have happened over the years. Some of them are quite amusing while others are just plain annoying. I should have started them as most have been forgotten at this stage. Maybe this will get things going :D

Maybe it's a case of "When in Rome......"

Biggins wrote: »

Certain words in Chinese (and Japanese, both I'm learning at the mo') are spelt the same way - but if pronounced different, also have different meanings.

The pronunciation of what I was saying was right. It is more the cultural point of respect within the title that annoyed him. I reckon if I want things to ease up, I will end up having to say father-in-law. I'll leave him waiting for the moment as he is annoying me, ha ha.

Off topic, but how are you coming along with the Chinese?

...Off topic, but how are you coming along with the Chinese?

Its a tough cookie! :o

Between that and the Japanese who like to put things backward sometimes ("Smith Mr" instead of "Mr Smith", simple example) - its a headwrecker! :pac:

Thinly veiled "I'm an intellect" post :pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I'm an intellect" post :pac:

More like thinly veiled "I'm a plonker for trying to learn in the first place." post! :D

More like thinly veiled "I'm a plonker for trying to learn in the first place." post! :D

The chinese language must be a right turn on for Mrs Biggins in your Louth accent :P

The chinese language must be a right turn on for Mrs Biggins in your Louth accent :P

She tries to think of me as "Mal Renolds" speaking Chinese, of "Firefly/Serenity" fame when we get giggy-giggy. :D

...Now if I only had his looks! :(

She tries to think of me as "Mal Renolds" speaking Chinese, of "Firefly/Serenity" fame when we get giggy-giggy. :D

...Now if I only had his looks! :(

Could be worse, she could think you look like Albert Reynolds :pac:

• Advertisement

Could be worse, she could think you look like Albert Reynolds :pac:

*shudders*

...The horror ...the horror!

:pac:

My Ex M-in-law had the title ' that aul bitch'

as in 'what time is that aul bitch coming over?'

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

What title do you bestow upon the in-laws?

The outlaws - John and Rose to their faces;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Tbh calling any Asian who's a generation older by their first name is likely to cause trouble.

I don't know about Chinese but I suspect that their word for father connotes a respect that is completely undermined by addressing him by his first name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I refer to my in-laws by their first names. Its a little ridiculous for her father to go behind your back to his daughter. Maybe the next time you and your wife are in the same room with him, you could tell him in front of her, that in the future you would prefer it if he were to have the courtesy to speak to you directly if there is a problem, as opposed to causing conflict within your marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

I'm a self proclaimed EX-IN-LAW .... always included in their family gatherings, more so than he is ....!:). Only have time for them .. defo not for HIMSELF ... funny ol world!

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic, I say 'slightly'

He was supposed to take care of the little one today while we had some work to do. There would be no sane way of doing said work and taking care of her at the same time.

We didn't bother asking if he was still taking her because all this only kicked off, so we brought her along. Well I tell you he got a new title today. I'll give ye a clue:

It rhymes with Bucking Bunt!!

Advertisement