Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebook

• 29-08-2012 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

For a while there every news report mentioned Facebooks share price (halved in last 3 months).

They kept saying that Facebook need to figure out a way to make money from mobile users.

Do you spend actual money on Facebook? On what?
    Would you and what mobile stuff would you buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

They can't put advertisments on their mobile app at the moment, think there are some laws preventing it.

Facebook make revenue like other sites from people clicking on ad's on screen, however I'm sure there are other revenue streams for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

That share price was NEVER gonna work out.

Everyone could see it coming that knew about Facebook and how they made money.

Advertisers were starting to realise that instead of buying adspace which is often ignored or blocked using apps that they could have a business page and people could like it giving them the same kinda notice if not more.

Gaming could be an option for them (like Zynga but even they are looking to branch out) but it could also lead to it being thought of as a flash gaming site and not a social network meaning less and less spend time browsing pages instead they sit concentrate on the game on screen. with their switch to real money gambling now in selected countries its coming closer.

the datamining abilities they had are also waning. More and more (although sadly not enough) are learning to be careful online with what they say, do and like, and as mentioned above ad block and facebook disconnect addons to chrome and firefox mean that they can no longer track your browsing habits via cookies even when you are off the site.

i'd say they will bottom out at around $7 with a few peaks and lows around that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

For a while there every news report mentioned Facebooks share price (halved in last 3 months).

They kept saying that Facebook need to figure out a way to make money from mobile users.

If you don't pay for the product, you are the product i.e. they sell you to other companies

I'm no money mogul but I couldn't figure out why it was valued so highly myself. I'd have shorted it at the ridiculous price it opened at -if I knew how to do that sorta thing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    They can't put advertisments on their mobile app at the moment, think there are some laws preventing it.
    They can put whatever they want on their app, and they have ads on it like trending articles and "bla bla likes lidl" or some crap. They just don't make revenue from them yet.
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Facebook make revenue like other sites from people clicking on ad's on screen, however I'm sure there are other revenue streams for them.
    They make money from people placing the ads, not people clicking them. they also make money from in-app purchases within their API's.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

So gambling aside how exactly are they planning on making money from mobile users? Nobody really buys ringtones anymore.

I dont use any app myself apart from the gps so im not familiar. Are they basically planning on opening an app store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I really hope they won't be allowed to ever put advertisement on the mobile app because it would just ruin it for me! I'd definitely stop using it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I blame Bono.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Facebook don't make money from you, they make money by selling you.

A good rule of thumb is that if you're not paying for the service then you're not the customer, you're the product.

edit: and obviously following on from this, the way they will make money from mobile, is by taking all the information they can get from your phone (your contacts, your location etc) and selling it to advertisers.

stevenmu wrote: »
    edit: and obviously following on from this, the way they will make money from mobile, is by taking all the information they can get from your phone (your contacts, your location etc) and selling it to advertisers.

Keep an eye on the terms and conditions. They can't do this without permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

smash wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the terms and conditions. They can't do this without permission.
    Yeah, but 99.9% will just click ok to pretty much anything without reading it or understanding it.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Yeah, but 99.9% will just click ok to pretty much anything without reading it or understanding it.
    Same with me, so I just google it to see what experts make of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Apps with no ads are a fad. There may not be in app ads but before you know it your notification tab on your phone is filled with airpush ads. App developers find some way of getting their moneys worth out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

nbar12 wrote: »
    I really hope they won't be allowed to ever put advertisement on the mobile app because it would just ruin it for me! I'd definitely stop using it!
    I bet you won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I bet you won't.

How much we talking? one pound? TWO POUNDS?

nbar12 wrote: »
    How much we talking? one pound? TWO POUNDS?
    5 likes and friend request!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

KKkitty wrote: »
    Apps with no ads are a fad. There may not be in app ads but before you know it your notification tab on your phone is filled with airpush ads. App developers find some way of getting their moneys worth out of you.

airpush ads are dead, they've been banned by google and there are too many apps to block them anyway.

FAcebook will wither and die because as soon as they find a reliable way to make money from consumers, a new platform will rise which doesn't use the same method. Facebook is more successful than myspace or bebo, but it'll go the same way, eventually. It's too good an idea not to be copied, and eventually someone will come up with a better idea, and everyone will use that instead.

tbh wrote: »
    It's too good an idea not to be copied, and eventually someone will come up with a better idea, and everyone will use that instead.

Like the way everyone moved to Google+ :pac:

Like the way everyone moved to Google+ :pac:

:D

Google+ is to facebook what Android is to iOS.

I'm techy, so i like g+ because of all the cool stuff I can do with it. My Mam, who has a facebook page, is never going to have a g+ page because it's too complex for her. Eventually, tho, someone will develop a product which incorporates all the best things about FB and G+ and packages it in a way that 99% of the current FB population will prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

point is, facebook (and others) do just about anything they want and people complain for a while then it dies down. most recently, timeline. even I am a hypocrite. I said I'd leave as soon as I get it, and just the other day it finally landed.
    I'm still on facebook

people are just do damn complacent.

• Advertisement

I'm techy, so i like g+ because of all the cool stuff I can do with it. My Mam, who has a facebook page, is never going to have a g+ page because it's too complex for her.

Design for designers / development for developers will never work as a proper business model to attract a large audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    point is, facebook (and others) do just about anything they want and people complain for a while then it dies down. most recently, timeline. even I am a hypocrite. I said I'd leave as soon as I get it, and just the other day it finally landed.
    I'm still on facebook

people are just do damn complacent.

Life goes on, more important things come to the fore to worry about. As for whatever changes facebook made to their design, if you're that riled up about it, then you need to reassess your priorities.

Design for designers / development for developers will never work as a proper business model to attract a large audience.

I agree. but what I said was, someone will figure out a way to design a new site in a way that will appeal to the masses more than facebook does.

I agree. but what I said was, someone will figure out a way to design a new site in a way that will appeal to the masses more than facebook does.
    Migration of users is the issue. People don't want to lose their history and photos etc. They could easily increase advertising and have a paid subscription where ads are removed. A lop of people would actually pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Some mobile apps or sites that are also designed for mobile have advertisements inbetween web pages.

So if you're at you home page and then go to perv on your best mates misses, there will be another page inbetween the two Facebook pages that will be an advert of some sort. Usually they last 5-10 seconds or in some cases you can just skip straight to the page you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

KKkitty wrote: »

airpush ads are dead, they've been banned by google and there are too many apps to block them anyway.

FAcebook will wither and die because as soon as they find a reliable way to make money from consumers, a new platform will rise which doesn't use the same method. Facebook is more successful than myspace or bebo, but it'll go the same way, eventually. It's too good an idea not to be copied, and eventually someone will come up with a better idea, and everyone will use that instead.
    +1
    There's someone out there planning the next social networking site if not now then sometime. People will get bored of facebook or Mark Zuckerberg will ruin it by changing it too much. The timeline feature isn't user friendly for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Mark Zuckerbeg down 413.73 Million.. :eek:

Although Forbes warned against investing in Facebook, before they launched into the Stock Market, i don't think it was necessary, as most people with an ounce of intelligence never believed the hype that surrounded it.

I'd guess the next move for facebook is to launch an Amazon/Ebay like store inside the confines of Facebook, offering random offers every now and then. If they expect to survive as it is now, it'll be dead before (Maybe long before) 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

facebook is turning into the next Bebo. anyone remember bebo? didnt think so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

facebook is turning into the next Bebo. anyone remember bebo? didnt think so

Give us a chance to answer!

BTW, yes, I remember ~xXB3B0Xx~

• Advertisement
Advertisement