Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NPPR Charge - Do I have to pay it

Options
  • 29-08-2012 7:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a question in relation to the NPPR charge I hope someone can help answer.

I bought a house many years ago from the council in joint names with an elderly relative who rented the house from council for about 40 years. I pay the mortgage but have never lived there. My relative still lives there.

When the NPPR charge was introduced I called my local council and asked did I have to pay this charge. As my elderly relative was on the mortgage I was told it wasnt necessary. Now I'm told otherwise by a friend in a similar situation.

Does anyone know the position on this? I fear if I'm incorrect I face a heavy penalty.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you own it you are liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

We both own it. She lives there.

Spoke to an accountant today and he says I dont have to pay it. Jeez.

Who can I contact to put this to bed. If I owe money I'll pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The council are the final word on this. Don't rely on a phone call though, email or write seeking clarification so you have proof.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Yes. I ll call the council. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

kegzmc wrote: »
    Yes. I ll call the council. Thanks

From abroad on behalf of the OP? That's very good of you...

That wont be necessary Kegzmc. I can magne but thanks for the offer!

Advertisement