Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Jackson

Options
  • 29-08-2012 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

29th Aug 1958, Born on this day, Michael Jackson, singer, songwriter, The Jackson Five, The Jacksons, and solo. Jackson is recognized as the most successful entertainer of all time by Guinness World Records. The music videos for 'Beat It', 'Billie Jean', and 'Thriller', are credited with breaking down racial barriers and transforming the medium into an art form and promotional tool. His 1982 album Thriller is the best-selling album of all time. Jackson died on 25th June 2009 at the age of 50, after suffering heart failure at his home in Beverly Hills. Prior to his death, Jackson had been scheduled to perform 50 sold-out concerts to over one million people, at London's O2 arena, from July 13, 2009 to March 6, 2010.

More: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/bad_bubbles_and_bananas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I still consider Thriller one of the best pop music albums ever recorded!!! Bad following right behind it.

This was an interesting and strange life he lived. Always considered him more of big child. And I think people around him took advantage of it, his whole kind-of-erratic behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Oh god I wish he lived long enough to perform those concerts. It would have been amazing to see the man himself live! Bad and Dangerous are the highlights of his career in my opinion and the live in Bucharest DVD is one of the greatest things I've ever seen! I think his life was very tragic but I don't dwell too much on it and I don't listen to any of the rumours; I simply don't care. The music and performances were amazing and that's all that matters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I'm 24 now and been a huge fan ever since my mum gave me the HIStory album for my 7th birthday. It's still my favourite album by him, definitely his most personal. There are some really good songs on it.

I've recently rediscovered the song 'Heartbreaker' from Invincible, that song is an absolute tune and sounds like an early version of dubstep. His harmonies had this awesome quality to them, and the intensity with which he sang was so unique.

Had tickets to see him in London and actually cried when he died, no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I've seen him live 3 times.

I've never seen a crowd go as stir crazy, as when his intro music was played in Cork in 1988.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

poundhound wrote: »
    I've seen him live 3 times.

I've never seen a crowd go as stir crazy, as when his intro music was played in Cork in 1988.

I'm so jealous right now :p Was way too young to go to any of his concerts :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

13 times
    Cork X2
    Dublin X 2
    London X 9

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

slave1 wrote: »
    13 times
    Cork X2
    Dublin X 2
    London X 9

This is incredible. Which time was the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

13 times
    Cork X2
    Dublin X 2
    London X 9
    Jays us!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,499 ✭✭✭✭walshb

IMO the best solo entertainer in pop music history. His talents knew no bounds. Off the charts brilliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This is incredible. Which time was the best?

Hard to compare and time has passed but nothing beats the first time which was Cork for the Bad tour, he was much healthier then also so more energy and vocals, in later concerts his health problems crept in, still great but you could see in his body he was fading away.
    Just missed the BJ hat in London once, literally about two or three hands away from it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Just missed the BJ hat in London once,

I'm not even going to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For all the slagging and perhaps justified suspicion his life will always have for some, he was undoubtedly a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Saw him live in Lansdowne for the Dangerous Tour - I was 15 - never forget the excitement when he shot up out of the stage at the start.
    The stood still like a statue for an eternity. When he whipped his head around, took off the glasses and let rip into 'Jam' the place went absolutely mental!!!

Best part for me was when he came out over the crowd for 'Beat It' - straight over my head!!!

Advertisement